Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober things to do in Dublin

Options
  • 12-11-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

What do you do when you're not drinking?

Well apart from when I'm showing visitors around I generally don't do museums. I suppose parks are good but would like to find out any hidden delights people might do in Dublin that doesn't involve going to the pub, etc.

Anyone here have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jools_452

Hmm.......tough one since drinking is so ingrained in our social culture, but there's...

Cinema,
    Theatre,
    Bowling,
    Shopping (gender dependent!)
    Joining a social group with likeminded people-writing, acting, dancing, chess?!, art, cooking, sport, whatever-FIND A HOBBY
    Taking a class/course
    Eating out
    ggoing to one the free dublin festivals

and tourist stuff..
    walking tours
    ghostbus tour (cheeeeeeesy but fun!)
    kilmainham gaol
    book of kells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I recommend subscribing to this weekly newsletter:

http://dublineventguide.com/

Lots of great events listed every week, every one of them free. Great resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Go for some grub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

cheers for the replies lads. I do a lot of the things you mentioned Jools, I actually drive to Drogheda for bowling though as it's 16 per hour as opposed to near 40 in Leisureplex for the hour.

A lot of the other areas covered too, done the ghost bus twice :eek:

Never actually done the Book of Kells, is it really worth €12 to see? That always put me off.

Thing about grub is it often involves wine, not necessarily of course but looking for something with more activity. Give that event guide a bash for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

What about going to Ashtown Castle in the Phoenix Park and if you're there early on a Saturday morning you can hop on their free shuttle bus and go to the Presidents Residence for a free tour.

Also there's a lovely veg garden at the Ashtown vistors centre - and a restaurant attached where all the food cooked on the premises is sourced directly from the veg gardens.

A tour of Glasnevin Cemetery - I think it's a fiver per head - meant to be great. And when you're finished - head to the Botanic Gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Jay D wrote: »

Never actually done the Book of Kells, is it really worth €12 to see? That always put me off.

No, no more interesting than any other museum in Dublin, except you've to pay for it. It is worth a look though, just befriend a Trinity student and they can get you in for free. Also, you can start collecting chestnuts in the Phoenix Park soon, followed by a coffee in Bewleys. Or jump the 40 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Jay D wrote: »

Yes, definitely worth seeing. Stunned it's gone up to 12Euros though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I can't believe they charge €12 to see the page of Kell's.:eek:Dear lord,rip off Ireland is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go walk the cliffs at Howth and stop for a bite and a mineral at the Summit bar place.
    Bus goes right or you can hike it from the Dart Station

When I visited Dublin last with my parents we went the Guinness Storehouse and then a meal at Aisling Hotel across from Heuston. All very walkable and Luas for a bit of the journey.
    If you have more time you could go to Collins Barracks just up the Luas line
    And Kilmainham Jail is quick taxi ride from there too

Thanks the Howth idea sounds good, never done that yet. Like done the whole Collins Barracks, Kilmainham, Modern art, Guinness (5+ times!) and generally any landmark you can think of in Dublin like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bring a jacket, it's freezing up there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Roller Disco, Long Mile Rd

Bring a jacket, it's freezing up there! :p

:) had the hood and all up was pretty darn windy earlier ;)

Advertisement