Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic getting married in Church of Ireland?

• 12-11-2010 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

My fiancé is a Church of Ireland member from Donegal. I am Roman Catholic from County Galway. We have very recently got engaged and before going to talk to any Churches, we wanted to get some info on where we stand.

My local Parish Priest is very old-fashioned and I know from past conversations that he's not a fan of the Church of Ireland, so I'm ruling out having the wedding in my local Roman Catholic Church from the start. I want the ceremony conducted by someone who is happy for us both and our mixed marriage.

We would still like to get married in my home area though. There is a Church of Ireland about 10 miles away, on the grounds of Ashford Castle, County Mayo. This is a stunning location and we would both love to get married there. But I'm wondering what exactly is involved in getting married in a Church of Ireland when the bride is Catholic and the groom is not from the area? I'm not sure if this Church is in regular use so is it almost a case of 'renting' the Church out for the day? Has anyone ever done this or for those of you who've had mixed religion marriages, how did you go about it?

I will speak with the Reverend of the region about this soon but I'd like to get an idea of what's involved first.

A similar topic has been partially covered in the 'Weddings' forum recently but with no definite answer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

My sister rented out a COI church for the day - but it was a Catholic ceremony. I know that is not what you want, but the idea of renting out is common, as far as I can see.

Ashford castle would be amazing, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ZAMMY

Thanks for your response!

It would indeed be amazing but I don't know what would be involved in using that Church. Who owns such a Church? Who do you pay to rent it out? Is there huge money involved in a Church such as this one, given it's on the grounds of Ashford Castle, or is there a standard 'rate' involved for CoI Churches?

It just happens to be my nearest CoI. I believe Pierce Brosnan got married there a few years ago if my memory serves me right.

In general also, what do Catholics feel about a Catholic having a Church of Ireland ceremony? I don't know much about the Church of Ireland (though I'm learning) so feel free to educate me on this. What are the differences to a Catholic wedding ceremony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

ZAMMY wrote: »
    Thanks for your response!

It would indeed be amazing but I don't know what would be involved in using that Church. Who owns such a Church? Who do you pay to rent it out? Is there huge money involved in a Church such as this one, given it's on the grounds of Ashford Castle, or is there a standard 'rate' involved for CoI Churches?

It just happens to be my nearest CoI. I believe Pierce Brosnan got married there a few years ago if my memory serves me right.

In general also, what do Catholics feel about a Catholic having a Church of Ireland ceremony? I don't know much about the Church of Ireland (though I'm learning) so feel free to educate me on this. What are the differences to a Catholic wedding ceremony?

Very little. My sister was married as a Catholic in a COI church but I have been to Anglican services. The Our Father is different ( google Dara O'Briain on that).

If you dont care why should the congregation? As for renting I just dont know. I will ask my sister this w/e what she had to do.

I've been to regular Anglican services, but haven't been to any weddings (yet). But I guess I'm curious on the differences of the Church of Ireland's outlook on marriage.

And thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: I was at a wedding with a similar structure, and what happened was representatives both of the RCC and the Church of Ireland were present (a reverend and the local priest) and the wedding was conducted that way. It was mainly done by the CofI minister though.

I hope this helps a little. Saying this as a member of CofI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Anglicans are Catholic, just not Roman Catholic.

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: I was at a wedding with a similar structure, and what happened was representatives both of the RCC and the Church of Ireland were present (a reverend and the local priest) and the wedding was conducted that way. It was mainly done by the CofI minister though.

I hope this helps a little. Saying this as a member of CofI.

That sounds nice, that's how I would like it done if possible, inclusion from both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

There is no Mass/Communion at a CoI wedding. There's usually lots of singing!

I was at a Presby/CoI wedding recently where we had the Dublin Gospel choir - the place was rocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Piano man

Hi OP,

this is a pretty comprehensive link on your question:
    http://www.cuf.org/FaithFacts/details_view.asp?ffID=221

God bless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

On an light hearted note, the Lords Prayer can be a source of amusement at a so called 'mixed marriage' due to the subtle difference between the Anglican version of the Lords Prayer Vs the Roman Catholic version. Just watch the RC side side of the Church stop after saying, but deliver us from evil. while the COI side of the congregation will carry on with . . . for thine is the kingdom, the power & the glory, for ever & ever. Amen.

Always makes me smile looking across to see who's stopped early, and who's still going :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement