Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to teach 8 month old kitten to so to the loo outside!

• 12-11-2010 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hiya,

We had problems with our little lady a few months back. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932782.

I'm so fed up of the litter tray and would love for her to go to the toilet outside. The older fella, who's a year old now, just took to it naturally, and doesn't use the litter tray. We have found Squid, the girl, SO hard to train. She sporadically urinates in the house, maybe once every 2 months, despite the litter tray being clean and accessible, same litter as always. She's a difficult little girl anyway. She's a tabby cat, and the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on but she cries CONSTANTLY, is always under your feet, hyper behaviour etc.

We have a cat flap and she loves to be outside, despite never venturing outside of the large garden, (I think she's too stupid to learn how to jump/ climb!). How do I train her to go to the toilet outside? From my previous thread, I thought I was easing her into going outside gently, but it didn't work and we had to reintroduce the tray.

Any tips? Hopefully it's not too late to teach her!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

If you still have that covered-in area between your wheelie bins set up an outdoor litter tray in that sheltered spot with the same kind of litter in it as she is used to using inside the house.
    Then on a dry day (lol) introduce her to it and watch the reaction.
    Ok, you'll have an extra litter tray to clean for a week or two, but if you persevere she may just get used to going outside.
    If she accepts it, then you can removed the litter *tray* but leave some of the litter scattered on the clay so it smells and feels familiar to her.

Of course, she may just hate the feel of clay on her paws amd wet clay and ground is even worse, so it might not work, but it's worth a try. And it's worth a try again at the start of next summer when the ground might be a bit drier, too!

My old tabby girl, basically an indoor cat who ventures into the garden to sniff around a few times a day will rush back inside to use her litter tray and then saunter back into the garden. :)

Advertisement