Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raising children with different religions in one family

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I really dont want to drag this thread off topic - but "best people"??

You have absolutely no basis for saying that, so stick to things you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

homer911 wrote: »
    I really dont want to drag this thread off topic - but "best people"??

You have absolutely no basis for saying that, so stick to things you know

In using the word 'best', I refer to those people who actually adhere to key doctrines of the faith, not to their virtue or lack thereof. Faithful Anglicans can see that their own church is caving in to secular culture rapidly and ever more and that there will be no place for them in such an arrangement. That is why many Anglican bishops and faithful are coming home to Rome. We welcome them. Meanwhile, we have a lot of dissidents that are causing mayhem in our Church. Perhaps we can do a swap. I'd love to do that, but our dissenters have no intention of leaving the visible Catholic Church.

From the Anglican bishop's own mouths:
    We have been dismayed, over the last thirty years, to see Anglicans and Catholics move further apart on some of the issues of the day, and particularly we have been distressed by developments in Faith and Order in Anglicanism which we believe to be incompatible with the historic vocation of Anglicanism and the tradition of the Church for nearly two thousand years.

See here:
    http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/11/5-anglican-bishops-intend-to-use-anglicanorum-coetibus/

and here:
    http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/09/orthodox-bishop-to-anglicans-you-are-doomed-if-you-dont-stop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

I wouldn't think the COI is in any better state. In fact, their best people (i.e. the Church of England trads) are coming over to the RCC
    The five church of England people who converted to Roman Catholicism are not Church of Ireland people, and are certainly NOT the Church of Ireland's " best people". Its not a very nice thing to suggest they are. Nobody on the other side would claim the many people worldwide who left the Roman Catholic church, for whatever reasons, to go to other Christian churches were the Roman Catholic churches best people !

I think the thread should be kept on topic "Raising children with different religions in one family" . People are not goats or sheep you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

There was so much wrong with Jester's last comment it wasnt worth responding to - he seems to have a serious chip on his shoulder -
    In my opinion: keep on topic or dont bother posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jester Minute - You're making the same problem that many others make when looking at Anglicanism from a RCC perspective.

There are conservatives who would hold a Reformed view of Scripture within Anglicanism. It's not that the conservatives are all Anglo-Catholic.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Jester Minute - You're making the same problem that many others make when looking at Anglicanism from a RCC perspective.

There are conservatives who would hold a Reformed view of Scripture within Anglicanism. It's not that the conservatives are all Anglo-Catholic.

Well the ones that come home to Rome have to sign on the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I don't know much about Anglo-Catholics/Anglicans, other than that many of them see the writing on the wall and are making their decision accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If one doesn't know much about it, one would ask why talk about it unless you know the actual situation within the Anglican Communion or the Church of Ireland?

Jakkass wrote: »
    If one doesn't know much about it, one would ask why talk about it unless you know the actual situation within the Anglican Communion or the Church of Ireland?

I just mentioned it in passing. The fact is, many CoE are coming over to the RCC and they have good reasons for doing so. I guess that could be the matter for another thread.

I just mentioned it in passing.
    You mentioned it in 4 posts, a bit more than in passing ...I wonder why, as it does not seem relevant to the thread.
    The fact is, many CoE are coming over to the RCC and they have good reasons for doing so. I guess that could be the matter for another thread.
    Start another thread on that subject so. What happens in England re conversions is about as relevant to this thread as the thousands of people in south America, for example, who are converting from Roman Catholicism to Protestant churches , because of the behaviour of the R.C priests there etc.

Now - back to this thread. Thankfully there is not usually the same pressure by the once-powerful R.C. church in this country any more to force people to bring up the children a certain way.

• Advertisement

locomo wrote: »
    You mentioned it in 4 posts, a bit more than in passing ...I wonder why, as it does not seem relevant to the thread.

Start another thread on that subject so. What happens in England re conversions is about as relevant to this thread as the thousands of people in south America, for example, who are converting from Roman Catholicism to Protestant churches , because of the behaviour of the R.C priests there etc.

Now - back to this thread. Thankfully there is not usually the same pressure by the once-powerful R.C. church in this country any more to force people to bring up the children a certain way.

I think we've all learned that you can't force anyone to do anything!

But there are other, stronger forces at work today which now have much more influence than the Church ever had. Whilst the Church tried, perhaps too hard, to get people to be good (always a difficult ask), the secular culture now guides and nurtures people in being bad, and that is altogether more appealing for fallen man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I think we've all learned that you can't force anyone to do anything!

But there are other, stronger forces at work today which now have much more influence than the Church ever had. Whilst the Church tried, perhaps too hard, to get people to be good How so?(always a difficult ask), the secular culture now guides and nurtures people in being bad again. How so, and that is altogether more appealing for fallen man.

Please explain these comments and contrast and compare of you will please. Im not actually offended but I think you just said that I am being made a bad person :confused:
    I rather think that i and my culture (when ever i find it) are quite nice actually:)

Please explain these comments and contrast and compare of you will please. Im not actually offended but I think you just said that I am being made a bad person :confused:
    I rather think that i and my culture (when ever i find it) are quite nice actually:)

I just mean that perhaps in the past, the Church in Ireland tried to make people Catholic Christians by cultural pressure. You can't make anyone do anything, least of all be an authentic Christian. You simply present to them the good news by word and deed, and then they make their own minds up. But they have to be given a choice.

Now though, there is very little good preaching of the Gospel in most Catholic churches here (with a few exceptions here and there), but the culture is in overdrive to get people into their 'gospel' programme of immorality - TV, advertising, legislation etc...

I just mean that perhaps in the past, the ( Roman Catholic ) Church in Ireland tried to make people Catholic Christians by cultural pressure. You can't make anyone do anything, least of all be an authentic Christian.
    So you think only Roman Catholics are "authentic Christians" ?

And while we all know that "You can't make anyone do anything", do you not think the pressure put on the non-RC partner in a mixed marriage, say in early / mid 20th century Ireland, was the next best thing to making someone do something - in this case bring the Children up as Roman Catholics ( the neTemere etc ). In some cases there was pressure to convert, get married in the RC church too etc.

If you think " secular culture ( TV, advertising, legislation etc ) now guides and nurtures people in being bad " while " the ( RC ) Church tried, perhaps too hard, to get people to be good "....I think it fair to say worse crimes were committed by some of the RC church in Ireland ( say in the last 100 years alone ) than TV, advertising or legislation ever did.

Advertisement