Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

does the elite play divx??

• 12-11-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

My son is having hassle getting the elite to play any divx movies i use a usb for most of my films and it wont work on the elite it keeps saying it needs an upgrade but as he does not have it online he cant upgrade it??? is there some other way to do it that any of you guys could talk me through??

thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You could try this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/UpdateSteps

Burn the update to a CD and run it that way.

EDIT: This is a different link, not sure is it the same update:

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx#burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

You could try this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/UpdateSteps

Burn the update to a CD and run it that way.

EDIT: This is a different link, not sure is it the same update:

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-360/how-to/update-xbox-360/system-updates.aspx#burn
    They are updates for the system software, but the update for DivX is what is known as the Optional Media Update, and by all accounts I have ever seen, it can only be installed via connection to XBL, as it is distributed via the Marketplace, and there is no facility to download Marketplace content to PCs, to then run them on an xbox.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I thought the optional media update was just to play AAC format files from iPod?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Optional-Media-Update/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802fffe07df

DivX functionality was introduced in the Autumn 2007 update:

http://lifehacker.com/329844/xbox-360-update-supports-divx-and-xvid-video-playback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

thanks guys i will try when i get home and let you know how i get on

sorry probly a silly question but if divx was brought in in 2007 should it not play it automatically it was only bought last year?? thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking that myself. :confused:

danois wrote: »
    sorry probly a silly question but if divx was brought in in 2007 should it not play it automatically it was only bought last year?? thanks

You would think, wouldn't you. But I guess Microsoft are pushing their wmv format.
    I thought the optional media update was just to play AAC format files from iPod?

Yes and no... it's an mpeg-4 decoder. AAC is mpeg-4 audio, divx (and H264/x264) is mpeg-4 video.

You definitely need the Optional Media Update; it should play divx movies no problem. It should also play iPod video files (you may need to rename them from m4v to mp4 though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

I bought my xbox in 2008, and I still had to install the optional media update to play such files. I've a feeling that the 2007 update allowed the xbox to present files with extensions for divx to the user, but the Mpeg-4 codec itself is still contained in the media update.

Not to mention that my girlfriend's xbox seems to have to be signed into XBL to use the optional update play these files, something strange to do with the codec being installed under another gamertag that has since been removed or something. Point is, if it was built into the system software, this would definitely be unnecessary.

thanks tried both them updates but still no good :( is there a way to check what other updates might be needed on it as like i said it has never been online so if there a few updates i might be better putting them all on it for him would i??

Is there a way to get optional media update that anyone knows of i could bring the xbox up to my little bros house and connect to xbl but dont really want to do that cause then if i ever do get around to gettin him online here his free month would be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

thanks tried both them updates but still no good :( is there a way to check what other updates might be needed on it as like i said it has never been online so if there a few updates i might be better putting them all on it for him would i??

Is there a way to get optional media update that anyone knows of i could bring the xbox up to my little bros house and connect to xbl but dont really want to do that cause then if i ever do get around to gettin him online here his free month would be wasted.

I haven't been able to get the xbox to play divx or avi files when not connected to xbox live...It plays them no-problem when I'm connected.

I tried add a new silver account and playing it through that account but still no luck...

On my older console (20GB premium) it would work but not on the newer one (60GB pro)....

• Advertisement

Aside from the Optional Media Update, there's not a whole lot else. The dashboard has been updated, but it's just a cosmetic change - no new features to speak of. Perhaps he'd like some arcade games or DLC for games he already has?
    Afraid you're out of luck here. The Xbox needs to be connected to Live to download it, and like you said, it'd waste his 1 month trial (same thing happened to me). You could try with your account on his Xbox... not sure if that would activate the 1 month trial or not.

Other options:
    • Buy a media player
    • Convert the media to wmv
    • stream from a PC to the 360
    • get him online!

Wish I could help more... :o
    neacy69 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get the xbox to play divx or avi files when not connected to xbox live...It plays them no-problem when I'm connected.

I tried add a new silver account and playing it through that account but still no luck...

On my older console (20GB premium) it would work but not on the newer one (60GB pro)....
    Sounds like you need License Migration

When you download content, it's linked to the Xbox serial number (and the Gamertag). Once you've done the licence migration (if you haven't already), redownload the media update. Should work fine.

Or you could redownload it using the new silver account, that way it will link to the new 360.

Advertisement