Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

retrieving deleted portion of jpeg

• 12-11-2010 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I once read that if you type a word document and then delete say a paragraph, that the person you email it to can retrieve the deleted portion. Is this true?

Now my real question. Is it posssible in the same way to retrieve cropped portion of a jpeg emailed or uploaded to a site. If say a person is cropped from the jpeg can they be retrieved by recipient.

Someone wants me to email/upload a car pic but with the number plate blacked out. Can it be unblacked out?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I once read that if you type a word document and then delete say a paragraph, that the person you email it to can retrieve the deleted portion. Is this true?
    short answer: yes
    longer answer: depends on a number of things, but its definitely possible
    Now my real question. Is it posssible in the same way to retrieve cropped portion of a jpeg emailed or uploaded to a site. If say a person is cropped from the jpeg can they be retrieved by recipient.

Someone wants me to email/upload a car pic but with the number plate blacked out. Can it be unblacked out?

Thanks

no, not a chance ( as long as its saved as jpeg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭CandleLight

subway wrote: »
    short answer: yes
    longer answer: depends on a number of things, but its definitely possible
    thanks. if not too much trouble what does it depend on? in the story i read a girl was sending attachment to someone she just met on net. She wrote personal details address etc but then deleted and he was able to retrieve

no, not a chance ( as long as its saved as jpeg)
    thanks. And what if the jpeg is cropped and then saved? Can it be uncropped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks. if not too much trouble what does it depend on? in the story i read a girl was sending attachment to someone she just met on net. She wrote personal details address etc but then deleted and he was able to retrieve

have a read of this, word stores lots of "metadata" in the background, you can clear it out before sending it to someone
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825576
    thanks. And what if the jpeg is cropped and then saved? Can it be uncropped?

no, its the same again. you cant undo changes to a jpeg as it doesn't save any information about the previous version.

subway wrote: »
    have a read of this, word stores lots of "metadata" in the background, you can clear it out before sending it to someone
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825576

no, its the same again. you cant undo changes to a jpeg as it doesn't save any information about the previous version.
    I will cheers thanks;)

Does that metadata rule apply to ms works and open office?

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote: »
    unless the original thumbnail is (still) embedded into the image, then you could see the licence plate from the thumbnail
    how would you make sure thumbnail wasn't still embedded into image? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could always do a screenshot capture and paste it into MSPaint etc and save as a new image

You could use jhead
    jhead -st thumbnail.jpg original_image.jpg

it will either fail if there is no thumbnail or create one if there is and you can check what you can see in it.

edit:
    jhead -dt original_image.jpg

will delete thumbnails.
    Thanks i do not under stand the code. I downloaded jhead but it won't run? A window opens and disappears. ? oh i see have to run from command no GUI

when I run jhead -st thumbnail.jpg original_image.jpg at command says jhead is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Itrioed changing original image to the name of my file, no good

Thanks for the help;)
    put the image and jhead in the same directory and then via command line change to that directory, after that issue the command.

my command line opens a s C:\users\candlelight. I put both the jpeg and the exe in C:\users\candlelight and it did create a thumbnail and the licence plate is not visible. Thumbnail is very small and when enlarged blurs. i know thumbnails are small. is there any way to enlarge without blurring?
    If you would like the jhead command to run from any directory, add the exe to a directory that is in your path such as the c:\windows.
    Would it be OK to put the jhead exe in my pictures? Edit:Yes I did and it creates thumbnail

The delete command does not delete. It says thumbnail modified but the thumbnail is still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In photoshop/similar:
    Open Original
    Open New blank PSD/similar of required size
    Select all in original and copy and paste to new document.
    Save new document as JPEG.

This new document will only have default meta as defined by your editor.

• Advertisement

Only in the movies.

Is there any chance that you didn't delete the original thumbnail that was created and this is what you are seeing? If the "-dt" is not working try doing a "-purejpg" which will remove all exif data.

If you are still having problems with jhead, I believe that MS Paint strips all meta data if you open the image and do a file \ save.
    "-purejpg" does not work. I opened a jpg I a had cropped in ms paint and did a save as and renamed it. Then i ran a command in jhead to create a thumbnail and it did showing the full pic inc area i had cropped. So does that mean ms paint does not strip metadata? Thanks for the help everyone very interesting

Advertisement