Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing PVC front door

• 12-11-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Is it possible to replace a PVC front door without having to change the surrounding frame? I want to replace me mine for a better quality one as I believe there is a lot of heat loss from the original one in place. Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I think it's possible - I know frames can be made up separately.

I wouldn't advise though as it's better to have door hinged in the factory surely.

Price around.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

If you go back to the orginal supplier then yes they should be able to replace the door only, not the frame, looking at around €300-400 i'd say. you know that its just the insert that is pvc, that can be changed without changin the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

If you go back to the original supplier then yes they should be able to replace the door only, not the frame, looking at around €300-400 i'd say. you know that its just the insert that is pvc, that can be changed without changin the door.

No idea who supplied the doors/windows. Already fitted when I bought the house.

I was wondering about changing the door as I'm almost certain it's one of the main causes of heat loss in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

could be the frame thats the problem too. not really an option to change the door only. a lot of door and frame profiles are different thickness, and the locks are set at different parts of the section too. the door can be adjusted if its sagging or not grabbing the receivers properly. they might not have insulated behind the door frame - stick a long screwdriver or hanger in between the frame and the plaster at the wall and see how far it goes in. you're better off trying to find the source before you start splashing the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

kkelly77 wrote: »
    No idea who supplied the doors/windows. Already fitted when I bought the house.

I was wondering about changing the door as I'm almost certain it's one of the main causes of heat loss in the house.

Well imo you would have to find out who it was and go back to them otherwise its a new door and frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement