Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do We Expect As An Audience?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

In the wake of recent events such as Guns N' Roses appearance at the 02 in September and the X Factor "auto tuning" scandal coupled with the rise in ticket prices, I've begun to wonder about exactly what an audience expects at a performance.

In the aftermath of the GNR shambles, there were a lot of people who claimed that it was unfair that the performance did not follow the normal, or usual, guidelines kept for timing of concerts - specifically the curfew that was believed to have been maintained by venues such as the 02 Arena and the MEN in Manchester. In the press release issued by MCD (as well as those who organised the Manchester gig), they spoke about the bands prior history of not being punctual, using this as part of their explanation for not entertaining refunds.

When we buy a car, especially in this economic climate, we are normally under the impression that the difference between paying extra for a new car is that the new car will have had no previous history - and although this obviously doesn't apply to entertainers - we do expect that our extra money means the car should work at a higher standard then a second hand model might

Of course, it's a little more complicated then that, but generally speaking....

During the X Factor auto tuning scandal we complained, because as an audience we saw a group of people performing on the television better then they had really sounded - we wondered whether this was done to enhance a bad contestant in the eyes of the public for an underhanded reason, perhaps to make them more popular because of good singing skills which they hadn't had - in reality - at that time.

So my question to you, is what do we expect as audience, logically when we pay higher and higher prices for the likes of Kylie Minogue and Lady GaGa and Katy Perry - when tickets have to be bought on the morning they go on sale because they'll sell out in minutes. When we buy tickets for the likes of Journey, not bothering to check who wrote and recorded 'Don't Stop Believing' and cross referencing it with the current live band - assuming it'll be just like it is on the CD. And then complaining when it isn't.

What do you expect as a concert patron, do you feel you expect more and more value for your money, in line with the incredible increase in ticket prices - and are we forgetting the performer is just a human after all, and if you prick them, do they not bleed...are we even allowing the likes of Paul McCartney to make a mistake or hit a bum note if we pay £150 to see him perform - and who is to blame - the promoters, taxes and imports, inflation, the demand....what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

TBH when it comes to a live band all I expect is good music with a good entertaining show.I know rates for everything is higher here and cause we're an island travel costs rise too (although some acts take the piss cause they know they'll sell).
    I dont need or expect big lavish production or everything to be picture perfect. I'm just there to be entertained by what hopefully is a great live act (possibly explains my KoL hatred :pac: )
    My best shows all year were polar opposites of each other. Kiss in the O2 didnt sell out and charged roughly 50 for one of the most entertaining events ive ever attended.Fire, flying bassists, flying drum set, rocket launcher guitar, crap loads more and good music to boot :D
    Then Limp Bizkit in the Olympia was about 40.Small arena, didnt need anything flashy but just the band themselves absolutely destroyed the place.Was only lunacy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

….I went to see MF DOOM play in the Button Factory recently, to summarise the gig: he turned up late and rapped over an ipod. I wasn’t disappointed, I took the gig as it was, I had known what to expect from DOOM, I wouldn’t have shelled out €30 on something I didn’t have prior knowledge of. That seems to be one of the issues, people going to an event like GNR purely for the spectacle; Axl Rose is renowned for the behaviour he exhibited at that o2 gig, why the surprise and the outrage? If it's because you queued up to pay inflated prices then, sorry, you deserve nothing less for feeding that sort of behaviour.

A gig is a load of lads, or one lad, playing some tunes, that’s it. When you slap a €150 price tag on it and dress it up like a mass-entertainment-event it will usually fall on its ar$e and disappoint people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I expect a band to play well and treat their audience with a bit of respect and for the audience to give the band some respect in return.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i want a band to come on , play there music , Look like the band and crowd are enjoying themselves , have some banter with the crowd , get your monies worth and have the crowd go home in awwww waiting till the band come back next

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thankfully Guns n Roses are very much the exception rather than the rule. I don't know how that man sleeps at night. It just goes to show he never gave a flying feck about fans or anyone else. There are so many hard working bands out there that would give anything to play in front of half of their audience. It's a shame that Axl is still allowed to pull a fast one, if it was any other industry they would have been blacklisted but the music business isn't known for its logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I really don't get why people expect strange theatrics from bands at gigs. I pay money to see a band I like perform their songs, couldn't give a sh|t about exploding drum sets, fire, other extravagant crap. Also, it kinda irks me that some people criticise bands for not moving around and going wild, I really don't see how it matters?

Monzo wrote: »
    I really don't get why people expect strange theatrics from bands at gigs. I pay money to see a band I like perform their songs, couldn't give a sh|t about exploding drum sets, fire, other extravagant crap. Also, it kinda irks me that some people criticise bands for not moving around and going wild, I really don't see how it matters?
    Because part of a live gig is being entertained.A band doesnt extravagent stuff but it can really add to a show. And people like to see a band moving around cause it shows the band is enjoying themselves aswell.
    They're not just musicians when playing live, they get to be performers and entertainers too. Personally I hate seeing bands who dont move at all. They just seem like they took a OD of ritalin and couldnt be arsed. (back to my koL hated)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You do have to take into account that sometimes bands can have "off nights", the money isn't near what it used to be, they now work a lot harder, and mightn't even have a hotel some nights. I've seen some my favourite bands look a bit tired sometimes and have to let them away with it.

As for autuning xfactor bull****..that's only music for sheep...every single move is scripted ...

"ooh simon is fighting with louis today, cheryl is arguing with bla bla..." no they're not....it's a show, they all circle jerk into the same bath full of your cash every night....

As for autuning xfactor bull****..that's only music for sheep...every single move is scripted ...
    Exactly.Sit on stool, stand up during chorus.Put hand on heart.Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I would exprct the main act to be on stage a 9pm as those of us who dont live in the city centre have to get home!
    People in the crowd not to talk during songs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Personally I hate seeing bands who dont move at all. They just seem like they took a OD of ritalin and couldnt be arsed. (back to my koL hated)

Do you know what ritalin actually is? It's a stimulant, very much like speed in many ways. Why would OD-ing on it cause someone to just stand around? The opposite would be the case if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Because part of a live gig is being entertained.A band doesnt extravagent stuff but it can really add to a show. And people like to see a band moving around cause it shows the band is enjoying themselves aswell.
    They're not just musicians when playing live, they get to be performers and entertainers too. Personally I hate seeing bands who dont move at all. They just seem like they took a OD of ritalin and couldnt be arsed. (back to my koL hated)

Well for me anyway I tend to go to gigs mainly for the music, the band members' movement doesn't really add or detract from my enjoyment of concerts. Two of the best concerts I've been to were completely different in that regard. I saw The Stooges in Dublin ages ago and the front man Iggy Pop was going nuts throughout as you'd expect; Black Francis of Pixies just stood in the one place and didn't open his yap once to talk to the crowd. Loved both concerts.

Hate to quote something incredibly cheesy but I suppose it applies to me: "It's all about the music, man!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

indiewindy wrote: »
    I would exprct the main act to be on stage a 9pm as those of us who dont live in the city centre have to get home!
    People in the crowd not to talk during songs!

And to not having idiots in the crowd throwing stuff on the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I expect acts to turn up at a decent time, play their best songs and to the best of their ability and if they cant play to the best of their ability then entertain me somehow else. I always check recent set lists of bands to make sure they dont just play all their new stuff. I gave Iron Maiden a miss this year because of it. I also expect to feel safe at a concert.

Den_M wrote: »
    Do you know what ritalin actually is? It's a stimulant, very much like speed in many ways. Why would OD-ing on it cause someone to just stand around? The opposite would be the case if anything.
    I got ritalin and rohypnol mixed up in my head :o
    Hope that never happens in real life :pac:

Advertisement