Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York for New Year

Options
  • 12-11-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in New York for New Year (27th Dec to 2 Jan).

Never been to New York before.

Anyone recommend some things I should see/do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes, consult the NY megathread.

Lucky git.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

1) Dress Warm

2) Go to a New York Rangers game in Madison Square Garden one afternoon/evening. Ice Hockey live is a great spectacle. You could probably scalp tickets outside a half hour before the game and get a ticket for under $50.

3) Go to DiFara's in Brooklyn for the best pizza. It's a dingy spot but Dom DeMarco makes some amazing pizza. Order a plain pie and a sicilain pie. Even if you don't eat it all, you have to try each.

4) Go to the Museum of Natural History

5) Walk around the Village

6) Eat a burger at the Corner Bistro

7) Have a pint in McSorley's

8) Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wow. fun.

You probably need to get a good spot in times square really really early on new years eve though. Expect to do some standing around. And it could be Very COld. (but you can also buy cold weather gear there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

DaDartle wrote: »
    7) Have a pint in McSorley's

Tell Shane Lisa says hi :)

Check out Macy's on 5th ave, its famous for its Christmas display!

Do you want to do any touristy things?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

one of the most simple things but walk around Central Park...especially if its snowing it will be absolutely beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Oh yes and go ice skating in Central Park, there should be a couple of rinks set up for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Do you want to do any touristy things?

Yeah could do some touristy things...

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Oh yes and go ice skating in Central Park, there should be a couple of rinks set up for Christmas!

Also downstairs at the rockerfeller centre.

Also at the Rockerfeller centre is the "Top of the Rock" where you get some incredible views, possibly better than the empire state bldg.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Get the subway to Brooklyn. Get off at Brooklyn Bridge and walk back across the bridge.
    Amazing views and a really nice way to spend a cold hour or two in NY. Buy a coffee if you need too! :)

Get the Staten Island Ferry - it's free - and you can the Statue of Liberty from it. If you go in the evening you can get gorgeous views of the skyline all lit up.

I <3 NY. Luckily my brother lives there so I always have a place to stay in Manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

DaDartle wrote: »
    2) Go to a New York Rangers game in Madison Square Garden one afternoon/evening. Ice Hockey live is a great spectacle. You could probably scalp tickets outside a half hour before the game and get a ticket for under $50.

The Rangers are playing the Islanders the day the OP arrives. I would recommend booking tickets to be safe and you can pick them up at MSG on the day of the game. MSG is right smack bang in the centre of Manhattan on 7th avenue. Ice hockey is a great night out, by far the best of all the american sports, imo. I usually sit in 122 or 123 and the view is excellent. Tickets lower down are just too expensive.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D0044F5949A4717?artistid=805991&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9

Also, make sure you get a hotdog on the street when you are there and bring plenty of 1 dollar bills with you, as they are very handy to have for tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Was there for New Year Eve three years ago, it will be very cold if your going to Times Square get there very early.
    Ice skating in Central Park or the Rockefeller is a must plus all the touristy things especially if your a first timer.
    Thing we found if you going shopping is that your putting layers on to stay warm but once your indoors your sweating as all the stores have the heating turned right up

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

COYW wrote: »
    The Rangers are playing the Islanders the day the OP arrives. I would recommend booking tickets to be safe and you can pick them up at MSG on the day of the game. MSG is right smack bang in the centre of Manhattan on 7th avenue. Ice hockey is a great night out, by far the best of all the american sports, imo. I usually sit in 122 or 123 and the view is excellent. Tickets lower down are just too expensive.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D0044F5949A4717?artistid=805991&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9

Also, make sure you get a hotdog on the street when you are there and bring plenty of 1 dollar bills with you, as they are very handy to have for tips.

Wow that sounds great but I only get into JFK at 6pm and it says on ticketmaster that the game starts at 7pm so can't make it that day. When is the next game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

.. bring extra socks!! & drop into Rudy's bar in Hells Kitchen (44th & ninth)
    $3 beers and free hotdogs all night long. :D

http://www.rudysbarnyc.com/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Do a night time bus tour of the city, some great views. Dont forget uour camera. Greyline is one of the main bus tour operators.

I will be in Chicago for New Years, cannot wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Trek1974

Heading to NYC on the 7th Dec for four days first time and cannot wait , Stayingin Milford plaza and looking forward to seeing time square ,Rudys bar and Ice hockey game if possible. Als heading to rockerfeller center at night to see the views . Will take in woodberry common on the sat .Any nice bars resaurants within walkind distance to 8th and 45th street.

Trek1974 wrote: »
    Heading to NYC on the 7th Dec for four days first time and cannot wait , Stayingin Milford plaza and looking forward to seeing time square ,Rudys bar and Ice hockey game if possible. Als heading to rockerfeller center at night to see the views . Will take in woodberry common on the sat .Any nice bars resaurants within walkind distance to 8th and 45th street.

Have a great time!

There's some kind of strike affecting hockey though.

Advertisement