Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Media Center & Hiding X-Box (Vista + UPC)

• 12-11-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.
    My bro just changed to UPC and his Xbox no longer can see Tversity under My Videos.

Steps taken to date:
    1. Assigned 360 a static IP
    2. Turned off firewall on PC & on router
    3. Restarted the UPnP service - actually set now to automatic
    ok - so restarted a few times - just in case
    4. Upgraded Tversity
    5. Port forwarded the normal ports
    6. Set IPSec to Manual - was automatic
    7. possibly related - set his laptop to portforward a specific port for another app - might remove that...

I even went to configure the Windows Media Centre using the 8 digit code - but... the transcoders could not connect or be found - despite the firewalls being off etc....

In the meantime I have turned back on both firewalls..

he is running Vista Home Premium
    Other services running
    > AVG
    > Defender
    > Peer Guardian

Neither Media Player / Tversity are working.
    Media Player & sharing - is NOT detecting the xbox - even after restarting the UPnP services.

Any tips here would be great as I am banging my head off the wall on this one...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi all

hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.
    My bro just changed to UPC and his Xbox no longer can see Tversity under My Videos.

Steps taken to date:
    1. Assigned 360 a static IP
    2. Turned off firewall on PC & on router
    3. Restarted the UPnP service - actually set now to automatic
    ok - so restarted a few times - just in case
    4. Upgraded Tversity
    5. Port forwarded the normal ports
    6. Set IPSec to Manual - was automatic
    7. possibly related - set his laptop to portforward a specific port for another app - might remove that...

I even went to configure the Windows Media Centre using the 8 digit code - but... the transcoders could not connect or be found - despite the firewalls being off etc....

In the meantime I have turned back on both firewalls..

he is running Vista Home Premium
    Other services running
    > AVG
    > Defender
    > Peer Guardian

Neither Media Player / Tversity are working.
    Media Player & sharing - is NOT detecting the xbox - even after restarting the UPnP services.

Any tips here would be great as I am banging my head off the wall on this one...
    What router has he from UPC, and what sort of connections have the devices to it? i.e. wired or wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks - it is the EPC 2425 I think.

X-box is wired.
    Media PC is wireless.

Forgot to also add that he has no issue playing on-line.
    Although saying that - while playing Tiger Woods yesterday the PC was booted off - but that could have been sheer coincidence, that or discriminating against cheaters ;)

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks - it is the EPC 2425 I think.

X-box is wired.
    Media PC is wireless.

Forgot to also add that he has no issue playing on-line.
    Although saying that - while playing Tiger Woods yesterday the PC was booted off - but that could have been sheer coincidence, that or discriminating against cheaters ;)

I was afraid you were going to give those answers. I fought with that router for the bones of a year, with my xbox wired, and pc wireless, and all I could conclude was that it did something stupid like not bridge/connect the wired LAN and WLAN so that they could see each other. If I plugged in a wired laptop to the router, it and the xbox saw each other. If I connected the xbox wirelessly, it saw the PC. Wired laptop could also not see the wireless PC.

Both wired and wireless clients could connect to the internet, but not to devices connected by the other means, if you get me?

That's not to say that you won't find a solution, but it's not gonna be easy, because in addition to my own struggles, I've seen plenty of other posts around here from people having the same problem that they could not resolve. Basically it's a crappy router, and if there was any way of them taking it back and giving you a wired modem that you could plug your own router/access point into, that might be the easiest and least stressful solution to this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Try download ps3 mediaserver it works with xbox aswell . Might be a simple solution

Try download ps3 mediaserver it works with xbox aswell . Might be a simple solution

Might be, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. If it is what I think (that wired can't see wireless and vice versa), then the server software is likely irrelevant. When simple traffic like a ping can't make it between parts of the network, and the xbox only supports LAN connections for media streaming, then other traffic, regardless of the source, isn't going to fare much better, I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

check if the routers UPNP is enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

cython wrote: »
    I was afraid you were going to give those answers. I fought with that router for the bones of a year, with my xbox wired, and pc wireless, and all I could conclude was that it did something stupid like not bridge/connect the wired LAN and WLAN so that they could see each other. If I plugged in a wired laptop to the router, it and the xbox saw each other. If I connected the xbox wirelessly, it saw the PC. Wired laptop could also not see the wireless PC.

Both wired and wireless clients could connect to the internet, but not to devices connected by the other means, if you get me?

That's not to say that you won't find a solution, but it's not gonna be easy, because in addition to my own struggles, I've seen plenty of other posts around here from people having the same problem that they could not resolve. Basically it's a crappy router, and if there was any way of them taking it back and giving you a wired modem that you could plug your own router/access point into, that might be the easiest and least stressful solution to this :(

Mine was working fine with both wirelessly connected but I plugged my laptop once into the ethernet port and now they can't see each other when both wirelessly connected. Is this the same thing?? Bloody annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Yeah ive had the exact problem with the Cisco UPC router. wired devices cant seem to see those on the Wireless end, And i even left it in the hands of an network admin who still couldnt get it sorted. :(

Mine was working fine with both wirelessly connected but I plugged my laptop once into the ethernet port and now they can't see each other when both wirelessly connected. Is this the same thing?? Bloody annoying.

I don't think this is the same thing. I don't know what to suggest to you, but I do recall when I was trying to get some progress on this that I could always get devices to see each other when using the same connection means. Even if I changed how one of them was connected briefly (e.g. put laptop on wireless from both being wired), when I plugged it back in so they were both wired it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks all for your replies

To confirm UPnP is enabled.

Went around last night and after trying again for a while came up with a work-around...

USB flash drive - can play back media files from that - yes I know it slows things down having to copy - but really something to reliably work here.

Plugging his xb0x out to run wireless seems overkill as it is right by the router - and I am unsure if longterm he would want that - right now he is enjoying high reliable speeds with no dropped signals - which his laptop seems to get occasionally.
    During the week for example the laptop "lost" the router twice while I was working on it - so for now having tried
    > Tversity - no joy
    > Windows Media Player - no joy
    > Windows Media Center - no joy - cannot find the transponders

the old reliable USB key seems like the way to go. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement