Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Boats

Options
  • 12-11-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Guys,

Have you any experience with WARRIOR boats either the 175, 160 or 195?
    How do they compare?
    Thanks,
    WD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi i had a 175 for a year with a honda 90 fourstroke great boat safe boat but a wet boat what i mean is the take a lot of water over the top and back on top of you not to much of a problem as self draining deck fuel tank built in good job 90 lts plenty for any days fishing most cases 2 days will fish 4 but 3 lads and all the gear i have being out 30 miles and never had a problem safe boat under floor fish box great to keep catch fresh top speed on the right day 32 knots one of my buddys has a honda 150 hp on his 40 knots top speed on flat calm days .the 195 is bigger in everyway great in a following sea needs a bigger engine up to 150 hp great for 4 anglers any more info you need let me know also you will need a 4x4 for towing the 175 and 195 and imo you should have a double axle trailer for both boats as there heavy

pic of my old boat

• Registered Users Posts: 19 WillieDonal

Steyrman2

Thanks for the advice, it sreally helpful. I was surprised that so much water i staken on board. Do you think its more that most boats? Also, do you have any experience of a similar sized Orkney? How would it compare?

WD

I was wondering about the Orkney 520 or the strikeliner 19, are they comparable?
    Hey, I like the pic of your 175, what have you got now?
    WD

hi i have a raider 18 cuddy at the moment and it dont take on the water over the top its 18 ft fitted with a honda 90 hp will fish 4 lad easy the warrior is better built but the raider is lighter to tow better trailer great free board 35 in from floor to gunnel light on fuel orkney would be slower as the are not rated top take much more than a 70 hp

• Advertisement

Thanks that's really helpful. If anyone else has comments on performance of 16 to 19 foot fishing boats - please post them.
    WD

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

150 – Smallest of the range – Never been on one!

165 – One of the best small boats around – lots of them out there! Really a 2 man boat. Capable performer. 60hp seems fine many opt for 75hp with this much power they are quick. Towable by a car. Also available as a pro-angler – nicer finish, heavier but slightly smaller inside.

170 – Latest model. Heavier and more room than a 165 with a bigger cuddy. Hard to justify the extra expense over a 165 and not much cheaper than a 175. Would tow with a car though. Heavier than the 165 and better in a chop.

175 – I am on my second one of these. 100hp – 30knts. Many fitting up to 150hp Will fish 3 in comfort. Haven’t come across a better easily trailerable small boat yet. Heavy boat, that’s what gives it the performance combined with a reasonably deep v all the way to the stern. Wouldn’t class them as a “wet boat”. I have a spray dodger for when it gets snotty – I did not use it this year. Needs a good towing vehicle 4x4 preferable, buddy tows with an Octavia Scout not problem. Comes with a single axle trailer as std. – no problem here.

175 Export – The yellow-pack version:) – good but not as good!

195 – No longer made. Bigger all round, huge space, probably at the limit in terms what can be towed easily around our roads. Deffo 4x4 needed and usually a twin axle trailer. Hull not as deep v and therefore a tad harder ride in a chop than the 175.

The Orkneys are older design at this stage. Grand sea boats at slow speed but a very hard ride in chop. The hull is practically flat at the stern. Good value though.

Warrior are probably the most expensive of the small fast fishers. Are they worth it? Their finish is about the best. The resale value is about the best as well. Every boat is a compromise. It comes down to what you do and where and how you want to do it.

Jim,

A great overview, many thanks.

WD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Just a thought.
    There are 2 happy days when you have a boat....the day you buy and the day you sell.
    Buy wisely, especially if you are buying second hand.A little extra spent on a survey could save you a lot of trouble.Even a mechanic to throw an eye on the engine might help.
    Best of luck and happy sailing!

Hi Guys,

For those of you with inboard motors or even outboard fuel tanks, what have you found to be most successful way to overwinter. I am tired of having to get the carb blown out after the winter due to petrol going off?
    Regards,
    WD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

muracan wrote: »
    Just a thought.
    There are 2 happy days when you have a boat....the day you buy and the day you sell.
    Buy wisely, especially if you are buying second hand.A little extra spent on a survey could save you a lot of trouble.Even a mechanic to throw an eye on the engine might help.
    Best of luck and happy sailing!

thats a load of bull sihte, nothing like heading out for days fishing even just spinning around. warrior 165 lovely boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

Hi Guys,

For those of you with inboard motors or even outboard fuel tanks, what have you found to be most successful way to overwinter. I am tired of having to get the carb blown out after the winter due to petrol going off?
    Regards,
    WD

good run usually sorts them out, id say its water in the petrol more than petrol going off. can build up lot of condensation. good clean out is no harm, peace of mind

ring20,
    Thanks, do you use any fuel additives to prevent condensation over the winter? I've never used them, not sure if they work?
    Thanks,
    WD

Advertisement