Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians, Vegans...

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

You are thinking of sustainability as a blanket policy that can be applied to the whole world equally, you think that the eco-system of Ireland is equivalent to the eco-system of Peru.

You still have yet to provide a reason why your imported quinoa is more sustainable than my local beef. Is the grass going to run out? Because no matter how efficient the form of transportation the oil IS running out, and when it does there will be less food full stop, this will probably put an end to cheap factory-farmed beef, which will make us both happy but it will put an end to cheap imported grain too. What will you eat then?

Still waiting for an answer to the question of how many small animal's lives are worth one cow's?

globalization is a fact. We are affected by other areas of the worldéimport-export-markets. There are ever emerging alternative sources of energy used for tranportation... but there is only so much land. even if we were to reduce raising of beef on land unsuitable for crops, that wasnt necessary to leave alone for reasons of biodiversity.... there would be little meat available and at high demand... think of food items like truffles... price is up and you would certainly reduce your intake.

Youre second question is too ridiculous... next you;ll be saying that all the cows you eat is not nearly as bad as one kid with head lice.

I don't know of any slaughterhouses killing chickens in Ireland. As far as I know nearly all chicken is imported.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article469677.ece

what exactly is wrong with researching things online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

Originally Posted by eddie the eagle

in regards to eating cheese coming from cows, i could have a cow in my garden and get the milk and cheese from her and give her a pat on the back and an apple afterwards. im not running my body on the meat from her, which from what i know sounds like a pretty bad last few hours of life.
    i can live without ingesting that suffering fine.

This cow in your garden would have to be kept almost perpetually pregnant to continue to produce milk. Calves are removed shortly after birth. A huge percentage of the offspring would then be simply a by-product of the dairy industry. These can be used to produce rennet (for cheese), veal or beef or to perpetuate the dairy herd. Your ingestion of dairy contributes to the death of cattle as directly as when I eat a steak! Maybe you should consider the "last few hours of life" while "ingesting that suffering".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

leopardus wrote: »
    This cow in your garden would have to be kept almost perpetually pregnant to continue to produce milk. Calves are removed shortly after birth. A huge percentage of the offspring would then be simply a by-product of the dairy industry. These can be used to produce rennet (for cheese), veal or beef or to perpetuate the dairy herd. Your ingestion of dairy contributes to the death of cattle as directly as when I eat a steak! Maybe you should consider the "last few hours of life" while "ingesting that suffering".

the cheese i eat doesn't contain that rennet. im not eating the cows who were killed, therefore im not ingesting suffering experienced in a slaughterhouse. like was pointed out before its not an all or nothing thing for me. yeah sure, im the shannon airport in the whole situation. im guilty by association. sue me :P

anyway i dont know the figures for it, but im sure if it was just me and my hypothetical cow in the garden, the ammount of cheese i can make, which can last for many years, would be a lot from the milk i take from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

vaalea wrote: »
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article469677.ece

what exactly is wrong with researching things online?

oh that's not for slaughtering chickens, just processing them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

vaalea wrote: »
    globalization is a fact. We are affected by other areas of the worldéimport-export-markets. There are ever emerging alternative sources of energy used for tranportation... but there is only so much land. even if we were to reduce raising of beef on land unsuitable for crops, that wasnt necessary to leave alone for reasons of biodiversity.... there would be little meat available and at high demand... think of food items like truffles... price is up and you would certainly reduce your intake.

Youre second question is too ridiculous... next you;ll be saying that all the cows you eat is not nearly as bad as one kid with head lice.

I'm eating a truffle right now :pac:

Globalization still doesn't have anything to do with raising sheep and cows on land that is unsuitable for crop cultivation. You keep trying to bring it back to the same tired arguments that are regurgitated on various websites, despite the fact that I've shown again and again, that Irish beef and lamb is more sustainable that imported grain. Keep waiting for that alternative energy, I'll try and actually reduce my carbon footprint now rather than wait for some magical alternative to come along and save the day.

Is the second question ridiculous, or does it require too much cognitive dissonance on your part to process? I'm not talking about head-lice I'm talking about rabbits, birds and rodents, you're not speciesist now are you?:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

smokedeels wrote: »
    but tbh the idea of eating dead animals makes me feel sick. .

I find animals much easier to eat when they're dead..try and eat a live pig sometime..you'll see what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Guill wrote: »
    I have even started raising my own meat

I raised my 'meat' last night too, can't beat a Sunday night 'pedal' :p

Anyway I could never imagine myself not eating meat, no way!

Absurdum wrote: »
    oh that's not for slaughtering chickens, just processing them :rolleyes:
    Process is nice word for kill.
    "
    Manor Farm chickens are currently slaughtered in Cavan and cut at a facility in Summerhill that employs 100 people. Chicken sausages are made at a plant in Carlow employing 10 people. The new plan will see each of these functions moved to the expanded Cavan factory. Industry sources said that the new factory will be one of the most efficient poultry processing plants in Ireland and the UK. It currently employs about 240 people. "

Advertisement