Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting power from Outside Light

Options
  • 12-11-2010 12:23pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an automatic outside light that is powered by NYMJ cable coming from a double socket in the kitchen. Could i take a 5 metre length of NYMJ from the outside light and run it to a garden shed? This would be used someway to run a double socket and light. If this could be done what would i need in the shed with regards junction boxes etc?

Edit: Just had another look at the outside light and its not possible to run a cable from it, so could i run the NYMJ from another socket to achieve the same goal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I have an automatic outside light that is powered by NYMJ cable coming from a double socket in the kitchen. Could i take a 5 metre length of NYMJ from the outside light and run it to a garden shed? This would be used someway to run a double socket and light. If this could be done what would i need in the shed with regards junction boxes etc?

Edit: Just had another look at the outside light and its not possible to run a cable from it, so could i run the NYMJ from another socket to achieve the same goal?

You could do that for small loads in the shed, (from the socket not the outside light), but i would put a double pole switch on the cable before it leaves the house so if there are any problems in the shed you can completely isolate the problem and not be tripping your sockets in the house.

You can use a switched fused spur to switch on and off the light. The fused spur will allow the light to be wired in 1.5 cable in the shed.

A far better job however is to run the cable from your MCB board so the shed is on its own dedicated circuit. And run an SWA cable rather than the nymj.

Id say its a job for a sparks though, but i know lots do a quicky DIY job and once it works they are happy, regardless of whether its done well or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if it's a ring he'll have to spur off-in 2.5 if that's what he's using

-keep within maximum Zl for the mcb

-a rotary isolator in shed if you want to meet the requirement for isolating switches in outbuildings

otherwise new sub-main as robbie said

Advertisement