Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountjoy Square (advice please)

Options
  • 12-11-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'm hoping to move to Dublin (from UK) early next year and am after some advice.

Although I've been to Dublin many times I'm a little unsure of what areas would be considered good to live in. I've seen some lovely flats/apartments in Mountjoy Square, Gardiner Street and the surrounding area, but, would that be considered a relatively safe area? I say relatively as I know nowhere city centre can be considered really safe, just wondering how it'd be for walking home at night etc esp as a lone female.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

take it from me the area is grand. There are some dodgie characters around, you'll see drunks in the park and the occasional argument but in all the years I've been around I've never once got an ounce of hassle in the area.

The park on Gardiner st used to be a bit nasty, muggings etc, but it's really ok now and mainly for kids.

Have you got your heart set on moving to that area? What is it you plan on doing when you move here?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Thanks for the quick response :)

I'm a freelance writer (food & travel mainly) so would continue to do that, it means that I need to be close to/in the city centre but I can easily work from home.

I'm not set on that area, it's just that I've been looking on the property websites and the flats are in my price bracket and look nice, I'd much rather have an old property than a new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

The area around Mountjoy square/gardiner street is fine. There are lots of nice affordable places in phibsboro, drumcondra, smithfield also. I would prefer these areas than mountjoy. They have a bit less of the scumbag element, have character nice parks nearby etc as well as being within easy walking distance of the city centre.

That's cool. I remember once selling an ad to a restaurant when I was working for some well known publisher. Having the knowledge i was coming for dinner there, they really went all out that time and it was fabulous :) Do you cheat like that as well and give a tip off, for better treatment? ;)

If it's old style homes your into that's the place for you really. I do have a friend who has a top floor room available as well in Dublin 8, close to Christchurch and in the city centre, just an option for you. Are you looking to share or rent solo?

Pete, thanks for the info. I hadn't even thought of Phibsboro and Drumcondra. Previously I'd been told Smithfield should be avoided, but, saying that I've walked round there (daytime) often enough and it seemed ok.

Jay, I don't do many restaurant reviews (shame) but when I have done I didn't cheat ;) I pay for the meal and then claim it back in expenses from the mag/newspaper.

I'm definitely looking to rent solo, I wouldn't want to house share unless absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement

I'd be def with you on the solo buzz, had it up to here living with people, no more!

Smithfield is grand, like you have to put up with seeing youth court goers, junkies etc but sure so what like? They're not often gonna commit a crime on their way to court that's for sure :D

They don't bother passers by, in general anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Would have thought the junkie population would be higher around the Mountjoy Square/ Ballybough area than most parts of the city centre tbh due to the proximity to the junkie clinic on Amien St?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Never had any problems at all and I am living here a good few years. I am just being careful when walking home at night but you do that no matter where you go really, at least if your a woman.

Never noticed Junkies around here, they seem to hang around around the Abbey Theatre and Liberty Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 Not that many junkies around.

Spent 5 years living there with almost no trouble. Like most places in inner city Dublin you need to be a good bit street-wise.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement