Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baklava

Options
  • 12-11-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

:confused: Does anyone know of a food store in Cork city that sells baklava? I tasted several types of it over in Istanbul and it was delicious, so I'm keen to get my hands on it again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kurt largo wrote: »
    :confused: Does anyone know of a food store in Cork city that sells baklava? I tasted several types of it over in Istanbul and it was delicious, so I'm keen to get my hands on it again.

There's a place on MacCurtain street selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kurt largo

Ok, tks for that. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the place on McCurtain street that sells it? Is it a speciality foods shop of some description?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

kurt largo wrote: »
    Ok, tks for that. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the place on McCurtain street that sells it? Is it a speciality foods shop of some description?

It's a Turkish food store as far as I recall. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

They may have it at the Quay Co-Op in the city, give them a call to check? J

Ok, thanks for those suggestions. I'll give the Quay Co-op a ring at some stage. A friend of mine bought some baklava for me the other day and she mentioned that you can buy it in some shop on North Main street, so apparently there's plenty of baklava to be found in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Sorry for bringing up an old thread,

Did you manage to get Baklava as have a craving for it?

Do you know if the Anatolia Cork shop is still open?

I don't think the Anatolia place is still open anymore but there are two Asian food stores (Khan Spices and another shop) on North Main Street that generally have baklava in stock. However, just to let you know, the quality of the baklava in these stores is fairly average and a far cry from the real, freshly-made baklava you can find in Turkey. If North Main Street is out of your way, I guess that you could try any of the Asian food stores in Cork, as they probably sell baklava in some shape or form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Will defo try out the shops on North Main street, even if it is not as good as what you get in Turkey, but I wouldn't be expecting that from a place in Cork if they are not making it fresh themselves.

Might have to try out the recipe Faith posted. Seems like a lot of work, but it might be worth it for Christmas treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Spotted on Aldi website

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24626.htm

I'm afraid only saw them today so haven't had a chance to purchase, sample and review. They're probably terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

ncur wrote: »
    Spotted on Aldi website

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24626.htm

I'm afraid only saw them today so haven't had a chance to purchase, sample and review. They're probably terrible!

I saw baklava in the English market in the summer. Also, I think it's available in Cafe Paradiso as one of their desserts.

Advertisement