Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Stuffing

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    So it's getting that time of year again and every Xmas we have Paxo Sage and Onionn stuffing, I'd like to make it from scratch... So any recipes/tips?
    I've been searching online but I've been finding a lot of weird American stuffings so any help would be greatly appricated!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I made the stuffing last year. I never measure cos I'm lazy.. I used sausage meat, breadcrumbs, onion, fresh parsley, sage, rosemar and thyme.

I also grated some carrot into it, gave it a nice crunch!

You can season to your liking, I always find that mixing it without recipe quantites makes it a little different each time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Basic bread stuffing is just some onion fried in butter added to breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, fresh thyme and parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This is my Mother's recipe, and I can't get enough of it.
    Stale bread, made into breadcrumbs - mix with fresh thyme leaves, chopped parsley and very finely chopped onion. Season and mix. Then 'rub' butter into the mixture as if it were pastry. That's it really. You can make the dry part of the stuffing the night before. And just before you stuff the turkey, add the onion & the butter. We use batch bread - and lay it out over the kitchen counter overnight if it's not stale enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Basic bread stuffing is just some onion fried in butter added to breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper, fresh thyme and parsley.

As above with some diced fresh peppers and sliced mushrooms and garlic = NOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I line a loaf tin with bacon

Fry onion, chorizo and finely chopped celery in a couple table spoons of butter.

Mix into breadcrumbs.

Add parsley/sage or what ever herbs you like (sometimes I add in spinach, or grated courgette - but I try and add in as many vege as possible into things).

Add in salt, pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice.

Pack it all into the loaf tin. Pour over some chicken stock (not to soak - just to moisten).

Put in oven until cooked (you can add some more stock if you think it is looking a bit dry half way though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

In our family we prefer a Hazlett type stuffing to the more traditional dry loose stuffing.

Sausage meat, breadcrumbs, pepper, salt(only the barest pinch) mixed herbs of your choice(works just as well with dry herbs, but leave it for an hour or so before putting it in the oven) and finely diced red onion, Bind with one egg put it in a well greased loaf tin and cook.

It never lasts past christmas evening in our house, i love it in a sandwich with Chef sauce :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Thanks very much guys, hope to get some time to try this weekend, I'm gunna go for a combo of a few of your suggestions, breadcrumbs, sausage meat, onion, sage, rosemary, and egg or butter...

Hopefully it works out! I was looking for fresh sage, but couldn't see it anywhere. With the dried do you just fire it in, no soaking or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Louise~ wrote: »
    I was looking for fresh sage, but couldn't see it anywhere.

Any good veg shop should have it in stock, or at least get some for you if you ask.

AFAIK all major supermarkets stock it for x-mas.

Re. dried sage - IMO use sparingly to suit your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

True, the supermarkets do tend to only stock fresh sage closer to christmas, but i've had no trouble getting it in my local veg shops. As i said earlier, if i'm using dried herbs i would leave it to sit for an hour or so, the dried herbs tend to soak up some moisture and it comes out far better. Definitely no substitute for fresh herbs though.

Advertisement