Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Haha I see this place is as bitchy as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

in my opinion it is crap of the highest degree!

prices are an absolute disgrace, i wont pick on anyone in particular as you only have to walk around to see them with your own eyes, normally id buy into this kinda thing and enjoy it but seeing as all i could afford since it opened was a €1.50 macaroon i think it priced out a lot of people living on the breadline

also €7 to skate around on oil covered plastic with plastic skates is not ice skating ffs

the shame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I got a venison burger for a fiver. Great value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

on the topic of the market bringing business and basically money into the town ,from my experience it definately HAS

I work in town and since the day the market opened we have been really busy and anyone we talk to says they came in to have a look at the market, it's apparent more so at weekends

I know this is only one example and I'm sure some overpriced cafes may have taken a bit of a hit but people are really only buying snacks and small gifts

I honestly think it's a positive thing, something new and different and I can't wait to bring my little brother there when he visits!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

4 Live on rte1 on going to be live from there today, i think Eddie Hobbs is reporting from there and asking the stall holders why they are ripping off the public with there prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

magentas wrote: »
    on the topic of the market bringing business and basically money into the town ,from my experience it definately HAS

I work in town and since the day the market opened we have been really busy and anyone we talk to says they came in to have a look at the market, it's apparent more so at weekends

I know this is only one example and I'm sure some overpriced cafes may have taken a bit of a hit but people are really only buying snacks and small gifts

I honestly think it's a positive thing, something new and different and I can't wait to bring my little brother there when he visits!:)

it wouldn't have anything to do with Christmas being only two weeks away would it? :D Naturally the town would be very busy this time of year anyway (today being the country persons holiday in town (from days of old)). The only difference is now tho, is that people are buying german sausages from the german stalls instead of a burger at supermacs.

DE YE NOT NOT THINK WE ARE GIVING THE GERMANS ENOUGH WITHOUT BUYING THEIR SAUSAGES AS WELL????:D:D:D

(for those lacking a SOH, this is a joke post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Dolphin, SOH and Boards.ie should not be in the same sentence. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

4 Live on rte1 on going to be live from there today, i think Eddie Hobbs is reporting from there and asking the stall holders why they are ripping off the public with there prices.

Christ that programme is dire :'(
    Only switched over to see the market. Dont know if I can stick it. Real car-crash tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Give us a synopsis.
    Are they broadcasting from the world-famous exciting german continental jesus-themed never seen before collection of market stalls in a revamped eyre square?

• Advertisement

Just hopping in and out of it between discussing the budget with a gang of clueless 'experts'. Theyve set up a table with bird food on it at the market with two trad musicians sitting beside it. Dutch guy was interviewed by the worst interviewer Ive ever seen. Back in studio now making a plum puddin or something. Really bad.

That was cringeworthy. Two 5 minute slots at the market. Looked really quiet. Interviewer kept asking the stall holders 'what brings you to Galway?'. Was waiting for one of them to answer 'isnt it f...ing obvious!' Dont think the show done the market any favours tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

it wouldn't have anything to do with Christmas being only two weeks away would it? :D Naturally the town would be very busy this time of year anyway (today being the country persons holiday in town (from days of old)). The only difference is now tho, is that people are buying german sausages from the german stalls instead of a burger at supermacs.
    no, it doesn't have anything to do with Christmas looming, our shop is not seasonal, December is usually one of our quietest months TBH

whatever way you look at it, the market IS bringing people into town and that can't be a bad thing

oh and by the way dolphin city, dec 8th is just like any other shopping day now, it's years since it was a busy shopping day, from days of old as you said yourself.
    yet I still get slagged with people asking me if I'll be doing my shopping today today 'cos I'm "from out the country"!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just hopping in and out of it between discussing the budget with a gang of clueless 'experts'. Theyve set up a table with bird food on it at the market with two trad musicians sitting beside it. Dutch guy was interviewed by the worst interviewer Ive ever seen. Back in studio now making a plum puddin or something. Really bad.

Welcome to daytime tv, Irish style:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Kangaroo burgers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Standman wrote: »
    Kangaroo burgers!!

But that's ... Skippy! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

magentas wrote: »
    no, it doesn't have anything to do with Christmas looming, our shop is not seasonal, December is usually one of our quietest months TBH

whatever way you look at it, the market IS bringing people into town and that can't be a bad thing

oh and by the way dolphin city, dec 8th is just like any other shopping day now, it's years since it was a busy shopping day, from days of old as you said yourself.
    yet I still get slagged with people asking me if I'll be doing my shopping today today 'cos I'm "from out the country"!

i think the word you are looking for there is "tradition".

oh, and by the way some country people do stick to "tradition"

also your shop doesn't have to be seasonal - (most shops are not), but they still get busier over Christmas - christmas presents are not bought in seasonal shops only - they are bought in the regular joe soap shops that are there all year round. I don't accept the the town is only busy now because the market is at Eyre Square - the town is in fact busy, because it is Christmas - the same as every other year.

If you are working in a shop and December is one of your quietest months, then I can't imagine what you are selling. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 floineire

so you think its okay to mark something at a certin price and when somebody wants to buy it, suddenly that price is a FOREIGN CURRENCY price and not a local price. Maybe the traders there needs to get informed. Our currency is EURO and the prices should be marked in EURO. otherwise its somebody out to fleece somebody and nobody likes a con artist.

I don't think its okay that prices are marked in foreign currency at all, i don't understand why you think i said that with my quote. After being on this market for 3 weeks i do think theres quit a few cowboys around definitely.
    unfortunately if our local government does not cop on and starts organizing these things their selves this will only get worse. I strongly disagree with what you said about the pitch prices because it has everything to do with our prices. you go and try to make your money back after you paid 4000 for a little ugly metal shack and have to battle with the public over every €2 you charge. I think the public should direct its anger towards our leaders who have made such a mess off the place and let these cowboys in in the first place, i personally have worked my ...s off for the last 8 years trying to establish myself and provide the public with value and quality for money, and if things continue as they are i will be forced to shut up shop.
    For all the people who missed the falafel last week, apologies but my pipes are frozen and burst in my kitchen and i couldn't come in last week because of that. I'm afraid the situation this week will be the same as my water is still not working, very sorry for that but the situation is out of my hands.:(

floineire wrote: »
    I don't think its okay that prices are marked in foreign currency at all, i don't understand why you think i said that with my quote. After being on this market for 3 weeks i do think theres quit a few cowboys around definitely.
    unfortunately if our local government does not cop on and starts organizing these things their selves this will only get worse. I strongly disagree with what you said about the pitch prices because it has everything to do with our prices. you go and try to make your money back after you paid 4000 for a little ugly metal shack and have to battle with the public over every €2 you charge. I think the public should direct its anger towards our leaders who have made such a mess off the place and let these cowboys in in the first place, i personally have worked my ...s off for the last 8 years trying to establish myself and provide the public with value and quality for money, and if things continue as they are i will be forced to shut up shop.
    For all the people who missed the falafel last week, apologies but my pipes are frozen and burst in my kitchen and i couldn't come in last week because of that. I'm afraid the situation this week will be the same as my water is still not working, very sorry for that but the situation is out of my hands.:(

i have no problem with traders charging what they want as long as they suddenly dont' come out with an excuse that it was quoted in foreign currency the minute somebody shows interest in that product.

I'm sure when your falafel customers come to you, you don't say to them that the prices are in sterling and so they have to pay more than what the price says if they want a falafel.

Im assuming you have your prices listed in Euro, as you are in a Eurozone.

its the traders choice to pay to have a stall there - and so trying to con the public because they have to pay for the stall area is not good business as once people hear about it they won't be back (this is not about you, its about the sterling/euro story)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Is this the big yoke in eyre square yer on about??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Ah who cares bout all that
    I just cannot wait until i get some Kangaroo and Ostrich LOL
    ooooh and something from the German bit and a Kilo of aniseed hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've not been able to tell any real difference between the venison, kangaroo and ostrich burgers... though them all being fried on the same pan might affect their individual taste, I suppose...

Had intended to buy a few of the fillets, but if they're all going to taste the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Ficheall wrote: »
    I've not been able to tell any real difference between the venison, kangaroo and ostrich burgers... though them all being fried on the same pan might affect their individual taste, I suppose...

Had intended to buy a few of the fillets, but if they're all going to taste the same...

I hear you. I had an ostrich burger and it was very burger-tasting, and that is the best I can say about it. I had a look at the labels of the packets they sell them in, and of course there are flavour enhancers in there etc.

So the next time I bought some ostrich steaks (€8 and you get 2 good sized pieces for that, although it doesn't look like much in the bag) and cooked them at home. They were NICE, very nice. :)

Gonna try kangaroo steaks next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

All the moaning is totally justified.

First off, a tangent: where the f*ck are the coppers in this town? Would it be so hard for them to go through the square in the afternoons and crack the f*cking inbreds and scumbags over the head until they get the message that it's a no-go zone for losers?

Back to the moaning: of course it was a good idea, but it was executed in typical Irish fashion. Set the overhead to a couple notches below minimum, and the set the price to a couple notches above maximum. Result: garbage.

The people that go to the thing can't just make it a good experience with the auld positive mental attitude. Takes a little cooperation from the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HotDogger wrote: »
    First off, a tangent: where the f*ck are the coppers in this town? Would it be so hard for them to go through the square in the afternoons and crack the f*cking inbreds and scumbags over the head until they get the message that it's a no-go zone for losers?

Where would you like the "losers" to hang out instead?

Realistically, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

JustMary wrote: »
    Where would you like the "losers" to hang out instead?

Realistically, that is.

Realistically, Castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Argh, some people are never satisfied. Galway people in general seem to be disappointed/disapproving if something isn't "just perfect". And since nothing is ever perfect, we're never satisfied with anything.

Give the bloody market a chance. It's in its first year. It's a trial to see if it's a hit with the locals or not. And if you feel so strongly about how the market is being run, why not write to the Galway Business Association about it? Otherwise (presuming it comes back) it's not going to change, and then you're just going to complain some more.

Personally, I like it. As mentioned by a few people in this thread, it's better than what's usually there; icy, slippy paths, winos, blue lights and wet benches. At least it adds a bit of colour to the area. I like walking through it with friends, grabbing a few treats or something to eat. And so what if it's expensive? Did you really expect something like this to be cheap? They never are, and everyone knows that. I've only been able to visit the market three times due to exams, and each time I've elected to buy just one thing. So far I've had a bratwurst, a chocolate waffle and a kangaroo burger and I've really enjoyed all of them. Everyone should stop picking at the worst bits and start pointing out the good bits, if only the economic benefits for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

And if you feel so strongly about how the market is being run, why not write to the City Council about it?

It's the Galway Business Association that are running the market. GCC approved it re: planning laws as far as I am aware.

I love the market. Not for the stalls or prices but for the sheer atmosphere it brings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I miss the old eyre square. No not that one, the one pre the ghastly redesigning that cost tens of millions. Padraic complementing the cannons, with twee zebra crossings, more trees, more green space, off-yellow benches and importantly telecom éireann telephone boxes.

Now it's just a glorified commercial grey park.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I brought my mum into it today, and we had a nice time having a bit of a wander around it, and picked up a couple of bits. It felt nice and Christmassy because there was more of a crowd there and a bit of a buzz to it.

its the first year, so i hope that it goes from strength to strength.

and a big 'fair play' to them in the freezing cold last week and the week before - i legged it past them with the face froze off me during the snow, and would be a miserable fúcker if i had to stand around for 10 hours in that.

Advertisement