Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jammers today, very nice in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

HotDogger wrote: »
    Realistically, Castlepark.

This kind of narrow minded, completely ignorant view point really annoys me. What gives you the right to speak of all the people in that area (of which I am one) in such light? It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Liked the Bierkeller as it reminded me of my time in Deutschland and all the nice romantic bier fests they use to throw - mind you i didn't have to pay 6euros for half a litre. Also like that shop with all the animal hats - plan to get my whole family one but only if they give me a better deal than their offering as an independent student on a grant I'm skint (and due to be 5% even more skint come next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Got a gorgeous kangaroo fillet this evening. 8 euro, fed two. I'll be heading back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Ficheall wrote: »
    Got a gorgeous kangaroo fillet this evening. 8 euro, fed two. I'll be heading back for more.
    how could you eat skippy.:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fried to medium-rare, served with spuds and a bit of rasher.
    Scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For people that haven't been yet

6c9aa_thumb.jpg

13bb0_thumb.jpg

ba7c9_thumb.jpg

Damnit, biko, damnit. I thought the picture in your sig was included too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When does the beer tent close in the evenings?

Nm, seems it's 10pm.
    quick observation - the beer tent can serve you a 1 liter stein at last call (10pm) but you have to have it finished before 10:30pm. not easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

biko wrote: »
    When does the beer tent close in the evenings?

Nm, seems it's 10pm.

10pm...

...rats you edited it just minutes before I answered -_-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Was at the one in the IFSC in dublin tonight. So much nicer to look at. Layout and organisation is better. Range of food smaller, range of crafts larger but still not very high quality. Atmosphere was nice though.

Hopefully the galway one gets better over time. Maybe eyre sq is the wrong place to get a good layout...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

cats.life wrote: »
    how could you eat skippy.:(:(

Mmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I can't stop drooling over the macaroons. mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Also like that shop with all the animal hats - plan to get my whole family one

This I gotta see,I hope ye're a close family although I think you'll be hard pushed to get anything bigger than XXXL.

but only if they give me a better deal than their offering as an independent student on a grant I'm skint (and due to be 5% even more skint come next year)

Off topic but just to let you know,

Just 5% reduction, I wish!

It is first a cut of €2000 and then a cut of 4% on top.
    Read on,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056112931

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

i think the word you are looking for there is "tradition".

oh, and by the way some country people do stick to "tradition"

also your shop doesn't have to be seasonal - (most shops are not), but they still get busier over Christmas - christmas presents are not bought in seasonal shops only - they are bought in the regular joe soap shops that are there all year round. I don't accept the the town is only busy now because the market is at Eyre Square - the town is in fact busy, because it is Christmas - the same as every other year.

If you are working in a shop and December is one of your quietest months, then I can't imagine what you are selling. :D:D

oh dear, why must you always make a mountain out of a molehill?!

I wasn't looking for any word and you're trying to argue with me over something we agree on ffs! the "farmers day" is pretty much non-existant now, you'll see the odd few cheque shirts but nowhere near the level it was 10years ago.

IN MY OPINION and IN MY EXPERIENCE, the market HAS brought people into town, as I mentioned before, I know this from chatting to people who have told me they came in for a look at the market.

Can people try not to be so damn negative?
    Ok, it may not be the most amazing market in the world but if it is successful, next years will be bigger and better and the year after that...you get the idea.

I for one really like it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

magentas wrote: »
    Ok, it may not be the most amazing market in the world but if it is successful, next years will be bigger and better and the year after that...you get the idea.

It's my right to be negative. Bah-humbug to you I say. I'll reserve my judgement on whether it should be back next year for when we see what Eyre Square looks like after it leaves. Something tells me it's going to look awfully brown.

I would have thought the stalls might actually take away from local pubs and eateries...My guess..and just my guess here would be that sales will be up in Galway this year but whether that's down to the Market or not I'd remain to be convinced. Talking to my friends that work in town they said they have very suddenly had a huge surge since the end of last week with people saying they got caught out by the weather. Had to wait for it to thaw before they could get to the shops....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

oh dear, why must you always make a mountain out of a molehill?!

I wasn't looking for any word and you're trying to argue with me over something we agree on ffs! the "farmers day" is pretty much non-existant now, you'll see the odd few cheque shirts but nowhere near the level it was 10years ago.

IN MY OPINION and IN MY EXPERIENCE, the market HAS brought people into town, as I mentioned before, I know this from chatting to people who have told me they came in for a look at the market.

I was just pointing out the fact that the town is always busier at Christmas time, market or no market. If the market was not there, the town would still be busier this time of year - people buying for Christmas - have you seen the traffic lately - I don't think thats because of the christmas market :D:D
    don't see what is negative about the post.
    and no it is not the most amazing market in the world - on that we definitely agree :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

you'll see the odd few cheque shirts but nowhere near the level it was 10years ago.

Well at 30c a cheque I'm not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

mikom wrote: »
    Well at 30c a cheque I'm not surprised.

I'd love a cheque shirt - I'm sure lots of people will be asking Santa for a blank cheque shirt this year. :D

Off topic but just to let you know,

Just 5% reduction, I wish!

It is first a cut of €2000 and then a cut of 4% on top.
    Read on,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056112931

Also off topic - ( oh and thanks for passing that link on to me)
    scary and all that this is for mature students it doesn't actually apply to me, as a postgrad I qualified via means test:

Also the panic generated by these statements on boards i think have it wrong:

"and Savings of €4 million (€13 million in 2014) will be secured by reducing the automatic eligibility of mature students to the higher non-adjacent rate of payment, thereby bringing the arrangements for mature students into line with all other students.
    Source "

What this will mean is that mature students will be means tested now as opposed to simply being granted the payments automatically

Annnd now back to the christmas market

• Advertisement

Also off topic - ( oh and thanks for passing that link on to me)
    scary and all that this is for mature students it doesn't actually apply to me, as a postgrad I qualified via means test:

Also the panic generated by these statements on boards i think have it wrong:

"and Savings of €4 million (€13 million in 2014) will be secured by reducing the automatic eligibility of mature students to the higher non-adjacent rate of payment, thereby bringing the arrangements for mature students into line with all other students.
    Source "

What this will mean is that mature students will be means tested now as opposed to simply being granted the payments automatically

Annnd now back to the christmas market

Strike that - done a quick recheck, I am screwed!!!

But wait - this is my final year and these changes are not due to be introduced untill September - but it is a shocking blow for many students -
    and for someone like me without the BTEA it would have been impossibly hard
    - and now back to xmas market - a tiny Tim xmas for all it seems :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I was in there today hoping to take some nice photos of it but I couldn't find a good view of it. It'd be nice if there were some outside-facing stalls along the top or the pedestrianised side, it really sucks having to look at the backs of stalls on both sides. Hopefully something they'll consider for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Isnt it tomorrow it finishes? Wonder if they will be selling off any of the munchies cheap before closing time. Must pop down for a look weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

here's a collage I made from the market, taken from my Flickr stream:
    5250411525_f1d18bba6b_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

lovely photos.... have to say the market layout was dismal and unispired...
    Visited it twice... the beer tent looked crap... the food was ok.
    I really dont think it has much of a place in galway.. why not let the year round loyal traders move onto eire square each year?
    Thought it looked a mess, was 'food' heavy.. my god they must have had a factory of white cheap rolls somewhere....
    Lived in Galway for over twenty years, was unimpressed, thought it actually detracted the look of the city.. and, erm... who are these people anyway, well, they are off tomorrow with the euros, and no doubt they will spend them elsewhere, and be back again next year having a good auld laff xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I went last Thursday with my 6yro to see Santa at the Xmas Market and I must say, the people who ran Santa's Grotto were brilliant. They took their time, had a great chat with the little man, he spent 10 minutes at least with Santa, got his pic taken and presented to him and got a lovely toy.

Well worth the 13 Euro and it went to a good cause to boot.

Last year I went to a local *Santa* at an equestrian centre, paid 20 Euros for the small man and came home absolutely disappointed.

As for the rest of the *Christmas Market* - oh dear :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I'd much prefer Eyre square had a bitta tinsel draped over the homeless bums, far better than the market, amirite fellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tasha200 wrote: »
    ...... who are these people anyway, well, they are off tomorrow with the euros, and no doubt they will spend them elsewhere, and be back again next year having a good auld laff xxx

I don't think any Irish person is well placed to moan about the amount of European investment in the country (now AND since 1979).

And sure it's not like the Irish have run pubs etc overseas and sent the money home.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't think any Irish person is well placed to moan about the amount of European investment in the country (now AND since 1979).
    The bailout isn't an investment, its a loan, and they'll be getting back whatever else they put in from the punitive interest rates they are charging us in our hour of need. Besides which this isn't an EU market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    The bailout isn't an investment, its a loan, and they'll be getting back whatever else they put in from the punitive interest rates they are charging us in our hour of need. Besides which this isn't an EU market.

You mean the massive discount we are getting compared to other funding sources?

Advertisement