Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

EI111 wrote: »
    You mean the massive discount we are getting compared to other funding sources?
    No I mean the punitive rate that is well over double what it was bought for. Nothing like making a hundred plus percent profit on your neighbour's misfortune, eh. Why do you think a growing consensus of internationally recognised economists is advocating default as the better alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't think any Irish person is well placed to moan about the amount of European investment in the country (now AND since 1979).

And sure it's not like the Irish have run pubs etc overseas and sent the money home.

:rolleyes:

investment? where? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone see what conidition the grass is in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Aye, it's like all those wee bashtards all over the country ruining our fields playing their football and their rugby. They should be hanged.

Went to the market yestereve but forgot that they closed early on a Sunday so missed out on getting a Bratwurst :(
    I enjoyed my brief couple of trips to the market, and will look forward to their return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ok, some people weren't happy with the markets.
    But why not give some constructive criticism and suggest what could improve it rather than just give out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Got a nice supply of cheap cheese off the Dutch cheese guy before closing. Was looking forward to a Pizza but it was closed up early :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

dinneenp wrote: »

I'd say it's in sh1te! Haven't seen it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

It doesnt make sense to me why its over now. This should be the most important week of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

softmee wrote: »
    It doesnt make sense to me why its over now. This should be the most important week of it now!

Id say a lot of the foreign traders would have been hoping to get home.
    With the weather the way it is that may not happen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ficheall wrote: »
    Aye, it's like all those wee bashtards all over the country ruining our fields playing their football and their rugby. They should be hanged.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Ok, some people weren't happy with the markets.
    But why not give some constructive criticism and suggest what could improve it rather than just give out?

Well, I already mentioned that I had trouble finding a nice photo to take of it, so expanding that, it looked crap. Cramped, backs of stalls facing out, the beer hall was terrible and the entrance arches looked like real last-minute jobs. Basically, it was a load of huts thrown together. Aesthetically, a major improvement would be most welcome for next year.

I was in there today and it had already been pretty much dismantled. Love it or loathe it, I hope everybody paid it a visit. Overall I'm happy it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I think it did demonstrate that there would be a healthy appetite for a stand alone food hall place down here with various foodie stalls in it on a year round basis; a sort of Old English market/epicurian food hall combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Covered in snow. :D

Agree, the council/whoever will have a job putting the square back together again: not only the grass, but also the plans and the cute wee rail that were installed during the VOR beautification purge.

I reckon it was worth it though - even though I do miss the chilly blue beauty of Eyre Square last year.

And Mr Just still thinks allotments would be a good idea for those garden sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Agree with Madame Razz there.
    I always have dreams about having Trillions of cash and buying the whole Mainguard St area (Spar/Pound Shop/Colies/Bank/Deelys/Sheridans etc.) backing onto the Sat Market and turning the whole thing into a big foodhall/market type set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

incidentally, in terms of clean-up, destroying Eyre Square etc - why didnt they use the area where the ocean race stalls used to be, down the docks?

Would have been less messy...granted, a little out of the way, and less scenic, but there would have been a bit more space and less money to stump up for clean up...

apart from that, i thought it was actually quite nice! (well, apart from the awful German ooompapa music in the beer tent - it's Christmas in Ireland, not September in Bavaria...(but that's the only problem I've had with it ;-))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought it was tatty, overpriced and non-germanic.
    And for those who say to give constructive criticism..
    I'm being negative in a positive way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    I thought it was tatty, overpriced and non-germanic.
    And yet people said it was different from our regular market?

Overall, I liked the food aspect of it, I didn't care much for most of the Christmas tchotchkes.

Advertisement