Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I am gonna put on so much weight this christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

they felt it would damage business in Galway, that traders arent paying rates, VAT etc. and of course that they didn't think of it first. Had their mouthpieces on the case as well until they were shamed into accepting that it can only do good.

liabhroidi wrote: »
    they felt it would damage business in Galway, that traders arent paying rates, VAT etc. and of course that they didn't think of it first. Had their mouthpieces on the case as well until they were shamed into accepting that it can only do good.

have you a link to something or is it just hear say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

I have a feeling it's going to be really well embraced by the people of Galway. We were missing a 'festival' at Christmas. Another way to keep tourism going in the west. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I drove past earlier and I couldn't help but think that the chalets look like cheap garden sheds. Steel and plywood. Not very log-cabin/winter wonderland but I'm sure they will be decorated before the 17th. I'm really looking forward to it...no matter what they look like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I drove past earlier and I couldn't help but think that the chalets look like cheap garden sheds. Steel and plywood. Not very log-cabin/winter wonderland but I'm sure they will be decorated before the 17th. I'm really looking forward to it...no matter what they look like :)

Yes I must admit I thought the same when I drove by this morning, I was at the one in Manchester and they had real log built cabins that looked great. I will hold off what I think until it opens but I did not like the look of the metal huts and what look like garden sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I guess that when lights/decorations etc are plastered all over the place it'll look much more authentic. Really can't wait to have a good old wander around it. Getting excited now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Steel and plywood.
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    I will hold off what I think until it opens but I did not like the look of the metal huts

It's Krups steel though....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I drove past earlier and I couldn't help but think that the chalets look like cheap garden sheds.

Indeed, hence Mr Just's comment about allotments in the other thread. He's updated his opinion since, though: not interested any more 'cos there are too many sheds so there won't be enough room for plants. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

kKjTI.png

Well played there lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Site back up and running.

Galway Christmas Market

Aaaaaaand down again. Guessing they're having issues and it's NOT that they didn't pay their host enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaand down again. Guessing they're having issues and it's NOT that they didn't pay their host enough.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/galwaychristmasmarket.ie

Its just you broseph. Do you have a grudge against the market or something?

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/galwaychristmasmarket.ie

Its just you broseph. Do you have a grudge against the market or something?

**** no, I can't wait to get down to it. Weird, it seems to be down in all my browsers...do they share caches? I thought they had their own caches...

....maybe the market has a grudge against me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Maybe its that macbook of yours

pwned.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

rivalius13 wrote: »
    **** no, I can't wait to get down to it. Weird, it seems to be down in all my browsers...do they share caches? I thought they had their own caches...

....maybe the market has a grudge against me!

Lol fair enough sorry for misreading your tone in that case. I have no idea what's wrong with your browser but it must just be you at this stage tbh. Were you looking for something in particular or just wanted a browse? Did you put http:// before the address to see if that made a difference?

Lol fair enough sorry for misreading your tone in that case. I have no idea what's wrong with your browser but it must just be you at this stage tbh. Were you looking for something in particular or just wanted a browse? Did you put http:// before the address to see if that made a difference?

Nah, just wanted to read through the traders to get hungry before breakfast. Realised afterwards it still works on my iPhone, so all is well.

And chrome removes the http:// from URLs now, which explains it's absence.

Can't get there on my home wi-fi at all it turns out. Very odd....phone on 3G, all good, phone on wi-fi? Feck off! Very odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I was chatting to one of the staff members in The Meyrick/Fagan's earlier about the Christmas market. She told me that they secured the tender for the operation of the beer keller. I asked her if there was any truth in the cost of a pint being around the €9 mark and she said that that was the (approximate) cost for a stein which, she said, is equivalent to 2.2 pints. That's pretty cool if it's correct. She also said that customer's have to pay a deposit for the stein which will be returned when the customer hands it back and also, in terms of the beer on tap, there won't be any big brand names e.g. Heineken, Guinness, Carlsberg etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

in terms of the beer on tap, there won't be any big brand names e.g. Heineken, Guinness, Carlsberg etc.

So they might serve good beer! we really get served some amount of ****e over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

€4.10 a pint isn't great value considering we'll be buying in bulk. I can get a pitcher of Bavaria for €7 in the Cellar. I'm no beer snob as all beer basically tastes the same to me so it's all about the moolah

• Advertisement

Glad I spotted this thread on the homepage.

Might venture to over to the west for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Site still down and its opening at 6 I think. Not a very good start.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Site's working fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Site still down and its opening at 6 I think. Not a very good start.

Site isn't down for me.

Can't wait to go for a look tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Strange. It just sends me to LetsHost :-S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Irish people flock to faux german religious festival based collection of stalls run by englishmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

some of the stalls are up and running - about ten of them. mostly food - hot dogs, sausages, rolls with pork in them, coffees, hot chocolate with baileys stall, nugget stall, chocolate villages, stall, paealla stall, mccambridges has a stall there, I think Devaney's has a stall there but not sure - (its a cheap watch stall like at the races). Also a big garish carousel in the middle of everything.There was hardly anybody there but yet it felt claustraphobic - the space between each row of stalls is only the width of the walkway through the square so it will be quite a push when it is busy. I think it is officially opening tonight. Word of warning - watch your bags - saw a few shady characters hanging round already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone get the email going round with a list of all the stalls/vendors at the market? seems theres alot going to be there

Strange. It just sends me to LetsHost :-S

Nice to know it's not just me they hate. Who's your ISP? Could be some weird issue there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »
    Irish people flock to faux german religious festival based collection of stalls run by englishmen

Switch off our Japanese Tv showing American tv shows, and get our arses up off our Swedish sofas.
    Drive to a faux german religious festival in German and Japanese cars
    Whilst there we'll eat some Chinese noodles and Belgian chocolate
    Getting dark and cold, so we check the time on our Swiss watches and dream of holidays on a Spanish beach
    Get home and post a rant about Roma's on the Galway forum.

Repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse........

Advertisement