Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I quite enjoyed having a venture around today. Mainly food, but I already gathered as much from the website. Should be a fun month in Galway. Can't wait to go down on of the nights to try some food and beer/mulled wine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

500ml beer is 6euro with another 5 euro deposit for glass. 1l stein is 10 euro. Beers on tap are erdinger, fishers and erdinger dunkle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

What time is it open until tonight??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

plonk wrote: »
    500ml beer is 6euro with another 5 euro deposit for glass. 1l stein is 10 euro. Beers on tap are erdinger, fishers and erdinger dunkle.

Might give fisher's a try as I haven't had it before, otherwise I'll pass.

nyom nyom nyom nyom

They have a stand there that sells pork - you can get a burger bun full (and I mean FULL!) for €5 and then a baguette full (called the "belly buster") for €7. Absolutely delicious. Oh and there's an absolutely gorgeous bakery run by a french lady; very polite and she bakes a lot of the stuff herself. Got 3 chocolate and coconut .. things .. for €2.50, which I found to be a great price.

• Advertisement

There are quite a few nice food stalls there alright. I got the chilli bratwurst in ciabatta which was nice but it had been cooked for quite a while so it was a bit crispy.

The people with me got a tropical potato mix which was too coconutty and one of the pork burger buns with sage and onion stuffing which was good.

The sweet and pastery stalls look enticing but there is only one stand that sells coffee which isn't enough as there was quite a queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

there's an absolutely gorgeous bakery run by a french lady...bakes a lot of the stuff herself.

I should hope so, isn't that the whole point of this type of market? If she was selling pre made/bulk produce goods wouldn't it just be like any other shop/crappy stall?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dutchess wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed having a venture around today. Mainly food, but I already gathered as much from the website. Should be a fun month in Galway. Can't wait to go down on of the nights to try some food and beer/mulled wine:)

I really wanted to enjoy it. First thing I noticed going in was the fact Eyre Square as bad as it was before is now completely destroyed..They will have to lay down new grass after this or else we'll be left with a wasteland looking square.

It was really crowded which I'm sure won't be the case all the time so can't complain but when it is you have parents walking with their kids holding hands taking up the entire length of the path. You can't walk around on the grass because is its mud pit.

I was waiting for a bus at the side of the Square and I ended up walking home out of frustration from people bumping into me trying to walk around.

I only got to have a decent look at a few of the stands. One of them was a lad selling watches 2 for 10 euros and other dubious looking products. I think for me at least it will be a place I might go to a couple of time more on more quiet evenings for a beer and suasage and that's about it.

Still nice to be able to do that and maybe closer to X-Mas when loads are shopping for gifts it will seem more x-mas like.

Also beware the town was full to the brim of dodgey looking characters. The christmas pickpocket season may have come early too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Had a look around this evening. I was mainly interested in the foody stalls, to be honest. That French bakery did look lovely, will definitely be going back to that and actually buying something. And I must get myself an ostrich burger, and some wild boar :D

I was kind of hoping they'd cover the grass, because it was only ever going to be destroyed and muddy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

What time is it open until tonight??

http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

At the risk of sounding like I am asking a stupid question, but do they sell Bacardi and Coke in the Beer tent? I am planning to bring my missus there tomorrow but she doesn't drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Any body see the squad cars there around half 8? Saw a girl running up to the taxi rank in HANDCUFFS :eek: She got into the back of a taxi and once the driver realised she had no handbag and no way of paying she was told to get out and ran up by debenhams......closly followed by 4 guards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

quick observation - the beer tent can serve you a 1 liter stein at last call (10pm) but you have to have it finished before 10:30pm. not easy going.

also, they gave away the pretzles free to anyone who wanted them when they were closing up. nomnomnomn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 galwaybound

xtradel wrote: »
    Any body see the squad cars there around half 8? Saw a girl running up to the taxi rank in HANDCUFFS :eek: She got into the back of a taxi and once the driver realised she had no handbag and no way of paying she was told to get out and ran up by debenhams......closly followed by 4 guards :D

:eek:witnessed the start of all this outside skeff, said girl barefoot dressed like a hooker in handcuffs ESCAPED :eek:from the garda car whilst the garda were getting attacked by other skanks. Garda had to run after her:D Everyone was standing watching this jerry springer style carry-on. Glad they caught her:p Appeared they were robbing stuff from the stalls.
    Great entertainment but were right knackers:mad:

ErnieBert wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like I am asking a stupid question, but do they sell Bacardi and Coke in the Beer tent? I am planning to bring my missus there tomorrow but she doesn't drink beer.

Not sure about B+C, but they do warm apple cider, and a few other things i think, i was too busy looking at the Erdinger menu:o

Apparently after they caught her they put her in the squad car and she managed to lock the doors so the cops couldnt get in.

plonk wrote: »
    Apparently after they caught her they put her in the squad car and she managed to lock the doors so the cops couldnt get in.

jaysus:eek: anyone see what she was wearing or not wearing:o

I brought my little girl to this last night we stopped at a sweet stall at the side of the market she wanted some sweets. She had 10 small jelly sweets in the bag and 2 jelly snakes and the stall holder wanted €6.50. Needless to say i didnt pay it. Recession obviously means nothing to some stall holders and RIP OFF Galway will still be in operation for this xmas market.:mad: What amazed me was the amount of people like sheep paying these outrageous prices with no question. A few followed my lead and walked away after they saw me rejecting the sweets. I brought her down to Centra in foster street where she got herself a bottle of juice a bag of sweets and a packet of crisps all for the princely sum of €3. A saving of €3.50. Ill support my local retailer anymore. It really took the goodness out of it for us yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

jaysus:eek: anyone see what she was wearing or not wearing:o

Earlier on i saw 6 or 7 of them wandering around the market showing a lot of flesh.....nice on the eyes until they opened their mouths ;)

The girl in handcuffs was wearing what looked like a silky vest and shorts.....there may have been a upper level wardrobe malfunction when she was being dragged away but i was too busy laughing to notice :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

€4.10 a pint isn't great value considering we'll be buying in bulk. I can get a pitcher of Bavaria for €7 in the Cellar. I'm no beer snob as all beer basically tastes the same to me so it's all about the moolah

/facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I brought my little girl to this last night we stopped at a sweet stall at the side of the market she wanted some sweets. She had 10 small jelly sweets in the bag and 2 jelly snakes and the stall holder wanted €6.50. Needless to say i didnt pay it. Recession obviously means nothing to some stall holders and RIP OFF Galway will still be in operation for this xmas market.:mad:

But, but.... the gelatin in those sweets came from machu picchu, you simply must buy them......... it's a festival after all.

Not at those prices I wont be buying. I dont support rip off merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

xtradel wrote: »
    Earlier on i saw 6 or 7 of them wandering around the market showing a lot of flesh.....nice on the eyes until they opened their mouths ;)

The girl in handcuffs was wearing what looked like a silky vest and shorts.....there may have been a upper level wardrobe malfunction when she was being dragged away but i was too busy laughing to notice :D

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

afaik none of these stalls are from local suppliers or anything related to ireland. Think its all an english operation.
    Sickening to see the Fianna Fail scumbag mayor Crowe in the picture supporting an operation that brings nothing to the local economy.

Regardless of how it makes you feel, all christmassy etc. i would urge you all to boycott this market.

Why couldnt the powers that be say feck off english market people and organise and build their own?
    Maybe next year they will see sense but somehow i doubt it.

Until then i wont be going near this. Better off heading down to our local market at St. Nicholas church.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

skelliser wrote: »
    afaik none of these stalls are from local suppliers or anything related to ireland. Think its all an english operation.
    Sickening to see the Fianna Fail scumbag mayor Crowe in the picture supporting an operation that brings nothing to the local economy.

Regardless of how it makes you feel, all christmassy etc. i would urge you all to boycott this market.

Why couldnt the powers that be say feck off english market people and organise and build their own?
    Maybe next year they will see sense but somehow i doubt it.

Until then i wont be going near this. Better off heading down to our local market at St. Nicholas church.

Would you ever educate yourself about what you're talking about before you go urging people to do anything.

http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/Traders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Seaneh wrote: »
    /facepalm

You're entitled to your own opinion and tastes as am I.:)

I was actually in there today and had a 1 litre Stein for €10 (€5.70 a pint basically) Anyone that knows me will know that I'm not averse to spending money on booze but this seems a bit pricey to me, I don't drink these beers e.g Erdinger in Galway pubs so I can only compare against what I know

There was a nice atmosphere around, I tried the spuds platter and bought a few trinkets so I will be back again. I had contemplated going down tonight for a few jars before going out but I'll have to pass at that price.

I hope the frauleins working in there had heated costumes as it was chilly enough in the Bier Keller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Checked out the market this evening, not overly impressed.

It's doing nothing for local business, I didn't come across any Irish people working in the market and the majority of the stalls seemed to be foreign. I know some are listed on the website as Irish but if anything they're just token Irish stalls and most of the employees seemed to be foreign. Even the 7up in the beer tent was imported from the Netherlands. :( The price list in there is interesting, we had a German with us and could pick out a good 15 typos. They even have one beer down as "20x500ml €6.50", strange but obviously typo. Even Erdinger was spelt wrong (Erdiner) on every sign.

Prices are high all around the Market. I couldn't see any extra bins provided, the ones that were there were over-flowing already in the afternoon. It's also very badly laid out, you can't just wander through it without back-tracking or leaving and re-entering from another entrance. :confused:

I'd urge everyone to support the local market that's out in wind and rain every Saturday (/some on Sunday) all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

skelliser wrote: »

Look a bit harder: there are local businesses, including McCambridges, among the traders. There are also foreign traders who will be spending on their own food/accommodation while they're here (no, I don't believe they're sleeping in the back of their stalls!).

Also, the market is going to attract visitors from elsewhere who wouldn't otherwise come to Galway. How is this a bad thing?

I agree it would be good if indigenous effort could run events like this, current indications are that there aren't such companies. Maybe it's got something to do with economies of scale, and the sheer number of continental markets that a country like Ireland could support.

Before you start giving out about imports, stop and think about who uses the majority of products made in the medical device companies here in Galway. If you're opposed to imports, then logically you need to be opposed to exports too, because they'll simply turn into imports somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JustMary wrote: »

Before you start giving out about imports, stop and think about who uses the majority of products made in the medical device companies here in Galway.

Fat Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Would you ever educate yourself about what you're talking about before you go urging people to do anything.

http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/Traders
    DEVANE (IRELAND)
    Irish speaking educational language teddybear called Bábógbaby.

Not exactly a traditional Christmas stand, more of an Argos product. Good luck to them though.
    BOYD (IRELAND)
    Speciality gourmet burgers and salads.
    DEVANEY (IRELAND)
    Irish stew with lamb or beef, bacon and cabbage with champ, Irish coffee and hot Irish whiskey.
    LOUGHRAN (IRELAND)
    Seafood platters and chowder, all locally source.
    MARTYN (IRELAND)
    Fresh / Smoked oysters, smoked scallops, mussels, salmon, gourmet shellfish, pâtés and local shellfish.

^^ I seemed to miss most of these?... Can anyone confirm they're there?
    MCEVOY (IRELAND)
    Choc-Amore, chocolate fountain with fruit cup, skewers and marshmallow skewers.

Tried these but total rip-off. €4.50 for about 5 strawberries with some melted chocolate on them. Expected more for the price.
    JASINSKA (IRELAND)
    Sweet and savoury pancakes.

More expensive than Mick and the normal market! Look inferior too.

WAGEMAKERS (IRELAND)
    Pizza from traditional wood fired oven. Falafel with pita pockets, fresh salads and pickles.

These looked good but also much too expensive.

Advertisement