Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

5euro for 2 uncooked packed burgers, i think its 5euro for one cooked burger?! crocodile fillet is tiny and its €7, kangaroo fillet is €8 i think. dutch doughnut was €1.50, very small though

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

Nice to browse through the Christmas market in Eyre square, but whats with the ugly scaffold and railings, its awful !!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: 8 Eur for a hog roast bagutte i was told, i said you can forget it mate, no wonder the I.M.F are in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Spent a couple hours today in the market, thought it was ok but nothing special, saying that though it is great to have something of its kind coming up to the festive season. Enjoyed a couple beers and some gluh wine (which needs to be a bit warmer!) and greatly enjoyed the Currywurst (which I greatly miss from my time spent in Germany). If you want real traditional German brat etc be sure to visit the place up the top of the square and not the one down near the beer tent, there's a big difference in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I thought it was funny on Monday when I was accosted on my way out of the market by a gang of World Wildlife Fund chuggers asking me if I liked animals. I was tempted to say, yes, the kangaroos back there are especially delicious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I had the venison and OH tried ostrich burger with fried onion, fiver each
    twas yummy and no more expensive than what you'd pay at a festival

It's a novelty and it's lovely to be able to try unusual foods like this
    there's crocodile, kangaroo, impala and boar meat too

had cranberry and cinnamon donuts after...yummy!

tis very busy and don't think I'll be buying any gifts there (didn't see anything nice although would get the babogbaby if I had someone to get it for!) but will definately be back for the food!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

:eek: 8 Eur for a hog roast bagutte i was told, i said you can forget it mate, no wonder the I.M.F are in the country.

I thought it was €7?! whats exactly in it, just a lump of hog in a baguette?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I thought it was €7?! whats exactly in it, just a lump of hog in a baguette?

Its €7 for a baguette with stuffing on the bottom and filled to the brim with spit roast hog. Its delicious and well worth the €7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's a great little thing to have on. I imagine if it takes off that things would improve year after year when more experience is acquired by the organisers. I can't understand anyone complaining to be honest. The prices are high at any market or festival. If you want some cheap eating go on down to Lidl or Aldi.
    The german sausage is great and I'm really enjoying trying the different food. I can now say I've eaten Crocodile! That's savage if you ask me.
    Could someone tell me where the Hog is? I've a terrible time remembering locations and I haven't even found this. I tend to stroll up on my lunch or while I'm heading to work.

Some people seem to be complaining about dodgy types about. I haven't seen many but I wouldn't doubt other posters. It's more a reflection of the town than the market though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Anyone got any photos or links to photos? I'm not there to see it, but am interested all the same!

Next time I go I'm bringing the camera - I just don't know when that will be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What is up with town? I have been in a few nights this week for a stroll and the place was pretty full. Most pubs are rocking and the beer tent was full. Wonder if it will be so full on a week night after the 7th?

I assume this year will be like last and alot of private sector companies won't have official x-mas parties. I know my place isn't. Funny enough my girlfriend is in the university and they are having a subsidised meal and drinks. I'm so jealous. Oh well!

What about everyone else? Work party or none? Any arranged for the tent at the Market?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sianery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

lampsie wrote: »
    We were in yesterday, at one of the jewellery stands there was a ring marked "55". Wifey was gonna go for it, only to be told 'oh no love, thats the sterling price - I could do it for 65 euro as a favour'. I'm open to correction, but nothing there to indicate its sterling prices. Needless to say we moved on and gave our business elsewhere, thought it was a bit cheeky meself.

That's no just Cheeky, that's down right illegal!! It is illegal to put the incorrect (cheaper usually) price on an item and not sell it at that price. Seriously, there was nothing to denote it was sterling???? Then my friend, it's €55!! This happened to a freind of mine when she was buying wine in a cash and carry (here in Galway), they had the wrong price on the flyer (special offer) and when she went to pay for it they said it was a misprint. Well she fought her corner and I think she just managed a discount.... she swung it because she was going to report them I think. She still wasn't happy for not getting it at the advertised price but the cash & carry knew she was legally correct.

I'd be very tempted to report them to the market organisers. The laws regarding this are on this citizens information page.

If you scroll down it states

"The price or manner in which the price is calculated, is misrepresented. (Example: Goods are not offered at sale prices, but advertised as such)".

Yup that's illegal alright!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's not illegal, google invitation to treat

Greaney wrote: »
    That's no just Cheeky, that's down right illegal!! It is illegal to put the incorrect (cheaper usually) price on an item and not sell it at that price. Seriously, there was nothing to denote it was sterling???? Then my friend, it's €55!! This happened to a freind of mine when she was buying wine in a cash and carry (here in Galway), they had the wrong price on the flyer (special offer) and when she went to pay for it they said it was a misprint. Well she fought her corner and I think she just managed a discount.... she swung it because she was going to report them I think. She still wasn't happy for not getting it at the advertised price but the cash & carry knew she was legally correct.

I'd be very tempted to report them to the market organisers. The laws regarding this are on this citizens information page.

If you scroll down it states

"The price or manner in which the price is calculated, is misrepresented. (Example: Goods are not offered at sale prices, but advertised as such)".

Yup that's illegal alright!!

Doesn't at least 70% of the stock have to be priced incorrectly or whatever?

I would guess in a cash and carry though the price is just in one place under the plaette or whatever so she was probably technically within her rights.

Alot of people get upset over miss prints when it is just an honest mistake. Joyces Supermarket have been in court a few times over having the wrong prices displayed. I assume I can say that as it was in the courts and they got fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

According to the consumer protection act 2007 ...

Artical 57 (2) (c)
    prohibit the supply of the products to consumers at any
    price greater than the price or charge so displayed.

As I read it that's simple. I believe it is so even if it is a mistake because one could argue that the price or special offer was to 'lure' the costumer. At the end of the day, the chaps girlfriend was right, you can just walk away. Never the less I did not paraphrase the above artical from the piece of legislation.

on Citizeninformation.ie they discribed it as 'misleading advertising'.

Regarding my anecdote, my friend had the wits to have an advertising flyer from the newspaper with her that the price was on. It was advertised in print.

Regarding Joyces, they did not have 70% of their stock over priced. They would advertise special offers (which is covered by legislation) and not honour them, among other price discrepincies. They were notorious and consistently did this so that the residents of Knocknacarra (fair dues to them) complained and they were subsequently investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

vote with your feet - tell them to get lost and walk away. they just lost out on selling the item and getting 55 euro for it. its a ploy and as soon as they see interest in the product they decide to up the price - don't fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 floineire

I hear a lot of opinions from a lot of people that dont seem to understand how galway works. I am a local tader and have traded on the traditional market for years and am now trading on the christmas market, the reason that a foreigh company comes and runs this market is because the extremely backwards and incompetent local governments who run your country. 5 years ago submissions were taken from the galway council as to how to expand markets in galway. I personally wrote a plan for a market like this but with only local traders. as per usual it ended up in a pile of files that more than likely got lost in some explosion. Im a trader and was forced to use a company to trade at this event if i had the option of not doing that i would.
    One final note on prices, do understand that we paid up in excess of €4000 to have a stand there, if your working with fresh foods made from the heart, understand that you have to have a certain price, if you think its too much you can always go to supermacs. Where else can you find a 10 inch pizza freshly made from a wood fired oven for €6,50. tell me?
    Love the way everybody is so opinionated without really knowing whats behind it all, inform yourself people before you judge.

floineire wrote: »
    I hear a lot of opinions from a lot of people that dont seem to understand how galway works. I am a local tader and have traded on the traditional market for years and am now trading on the christmas market, the reason that a foreigh company comes and runs this market is because the extremely backwards and incompetent local governments who run your country. 5 years ago submissions were taken from the galway council as to how to expand markets in galway. I personally wrote a plan for a market like this but with only local traders. as per usual it ended up in a pile of files that more than likely got lost in some explosion. Im a trader and was forced to use a company to trade at this event if i had the option of not doing that i would.
    One final note on prices, do understand that we paid up in excess of €4000 to have a stand there, if your working with fresh foods made from the heart, understand that you have to have a certain price, if you think its too much you can always go to supermacs. Where else can you find a 10 inch pizza freshly made from a wood fired oven for €6,50. tell me?
    Love the way everybody is so opinionated without really knowing whats behind it all, inform yourself people before you judge.

where would be without our opinions. I think the sausages are a bit pricey though. I'm sticking by that. Ah the internet, where I can speak my mind and not get punched or kicked in the nuts for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

floineire wrote: »
    Where else can you find a 10 inch pizza freshly made from a wood fired oven for €6,50. tell me?

Have not been down to the market (going down now actually) but if you are from the same crowd that were out in Portumna slow foods thing I have to say these pizzas are amazing and well worth the €6.50 - peanuts.

You'll always get the people "but sure mushrooms are only 30 cent, 2 slices of ham bla bla" - true a lot of things in Galway are ridiculously overpriced but it has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I did say earlier that I thought the pizzas are good value. I have my doubts about some of the other stuff though. 1-95 for a cup cake??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Greaney wrote: »
    According to the consumer protection act 2007 ...

Artical 57 (2) (c)
    prohibit the supply of the products to consumers at any
    price greater than the price or charge so displayed.

I think there's a loophole because the retailer can change his mind and decline to supply the goods.

Of course that's not what happened in the story here.

And IMHO it should be illegal to display prices in any currency other than the official legal tender of the country. Don't know if it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well I was in town last evening, so I took a stroll through this "world famous" Christmas market.
    No atmosphere whatsoever.
    In fact you'd find more on the moon.

Dull, depressing, and with a distinct whiff of carny about it.
    Anyone traveling especially to see it better be prepared to be disappointed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The content of most of the stalls is quite nice, the sheds themselves are really messy looking. The carosel is tack too.

The food is really nice though and overall the value is good.

Nothing like any of the Christmas markets I've been to in Germany or Austria though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was at the Christmas market in Manchester last year and all of the cabins in the centre were built from proper logs no tin or garden sheds they looked great, not so nice looking in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The only thing I've sampled so far is the brownies from the French bakery stall. Got 2 for €3, good sized ones, and they taste awesome. Not the dry cakey ones you get here...proper crunchy on the outside moist on the inside ones :D

I really want to try the roast hog baguette next time I'm in.

You can really tell that word has spread, both good and bad, about the various stalls. Hardly anyone at the sweet stall...I've heard lots of people commenting on how expensive it is. Then lots of people at the kangaroo/ostrich/springbok etc burger stand and the roast hog stand too. I'm kind of glad to see people being selective and who they're giving their money to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Is there a stall that sells fresh donuts there?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is there a stall that sells fresh donuts there?

They're Dutch Donuts. Balls of dough in different flavours. A bit stodgier than a normal donut but nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

ffs, are there no proper ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Went for a stroll through earlier since i'm not on the beer tonight.

Place was half full of young knack-wannabes (the worst kind) which was just a head-wreck tryin to walk through crowds of 20+ little sh1tes.

Got a German Sausage hot-dog thing. Yeah expensive for a fiver but the novelty was nice.

Was passing the strawberry/marshmallow chocolate stall and he gave the GF a free hot chocolate (thanks)

Got the pizza and talked to the guy for a bit. Nice chap. Didn't find it expensive and it tasted good (Pepperoni). Extra toppings 50c.

Walked into the bar for a look and a chat with a friend - Not much atmosphere tbh but again a novelty I suppose (All the tables were full, Sat night)

Feck the people giving out. No one is forcing you in there, or forcing you to buy anything. Best of luck to the traders. I'd like to see anyone here stand out in that freezing cold all day to make ends meet.

A stall that stuck out for me was the wood carvings of the animals. I found some of the stuff really cool - Looks too good to be hand carved though... anyone got more info on that?

Advertisement