Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD blackboard.

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Is there any app(mac or windows) you can use to automatically sync blackboard? bitta of a pain to get into it past all those menus.

also anyone get blackboard sync working on their ipod?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There was a system for syncing - Backpack - but it's gone away.

I did get Blackboard Sync working on my iPod Touch earlier this year; it was most useful for notification of any updates to Blackboard since I last used it. Didn't do much more than that, if you tried to look at a document it just switched you to Safari to log in to the normal site.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yeah its a pain alright. I hate in some of my modules I have to open the slides (Be they a PDF, PPT file etc) and then save it. Last year it was possible to "Save As" without having to open the window to load the file.

BlackBoard really can't get alot of things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

OSI wrote: »
    The best thing is that the likes of Computer Science use Moodle which is far far better than Blackboard and is completely free. Meanwhile, UCD pay thousands every year for Blackboard and it's updates that seem to lose more and more features with each new release.

I would disagree. While Moodle gets a lot of things right but like most OpenSource implementations its has its niggles. BlackBoard does a good job and given a choice, I'd use it over Moodle. I used use alot of Linux and Unix distros but I got extremely tired with them half working or needing extra time spent on getting things up and running. I know its free, but I'd rather pay a little extra and get something that just works.

I never understood why most, if not all, CSI modules have their own lecturer websites with the notes listed there as opposed to on BlackBoard. Its a bit annoying to go through different lecturer mini-sites when you come from other faculties where everything is centered on BlackBoard.

I used Moodle in a site based for a small school project as a test bed. The kids hated it and I can see why. Its not very intuitive and it can be tricky to use.

Advertisement