Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Doing MCSE 2003 Security?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am about to embark on the microsoft certification path with an interest in security, a lot of people seem to be taking the 2008 server certification path and was hoping someone would be able to advise if the mcse security 2003 is still valid in todays market.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

heading on the same path myself but going to do the Comptia Security + as its counts as an elective for mcsa mcse etc and if you do it in 2010 it doesnt expire

• Registered Users Posts: 20 szafa

I want to do MCSA as well in new year. I doing now A+ and N+ next 70-290, 70-291 and 70-270 or 70-680. I see that company's still looking for MCSA/MCSE professionals.

Please write what you think about that may be is better to do MCITP or MCTS

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If you are only starting then why bother with 2003 when you could just do 2008...

You are already starting on the back foot by going down the 2003 route and if I ask you in an interview why you did a 2003 exam in 2010 (nearly 2011) you would want to have a good excuse.

I know now for me is better to do 2008 exams but company are still looking for MCSA/MCSE qualifications because users don't migrate to MS 2008 server. I'll add that I mean in Waterford and around. I haven't seen job ofter for 2008 server engineer. If i am wrong correct me please. From January I'll be unemployed so I want to do some it certs.

I think most HR departments just don't know that the MCSE\MCSA has been changed to MCTIP EA/SA and they still call them MCSE\MCSA...

If I was reading your CV for a tech job and you had MCTIP EA (MCSE in Windows 2008) I wouldn't see a problem with it. Between 2008 and 2003 there isn't that much of a difference. Its more where you find the services\configs and your ability to know how those services work.

If you can install DC in 2008 you can install one in 2003, same with DNS, DHCP or any of the main Domain services.

Having the certs is one thing but it will be your experience which will make you in the end and because that will take years to get, you should make sure your certs are up-to-date for those years.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I have to admit you're right I'll start my preparation to become MCITP.Which the exam will be the best for start server or client?

Client,

I forget the actual sequence but if you do the right exams you can get an extra bonus cert easily enough. Its been a while but you should look at the tracks for the "Consumer Support Technician" and then overlay it with the tracks for the MCTIP EA/SA.

To elaborate on why you should do the Client exams first, simply put they are easier to do because 9 times out 10 you will have used XP or Win7 for a long time so you are already familiar with it.

What you have to learn is How Microsoft exams works after a while you can start to see the types of question they ask and the way they ask them. Which is important.

Besides it can be a little daunting doing exams so by getting a couple under your belt before the server design exams come along it will build up your confidence and get you some easy wins for your CV too.

Don't worry if you fail one either, thats pretty standard, just work off for the report you get at the end of the exam and then go back and nail it the second time.

Static M.e. Thank you very much for comprehensive information :)

No problem at all. Best of luck

Advertisement