Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching hall and landing lights.

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all. i am looking for some help on the wiring of the hall and landing lights. i would like to control both from downstairs and upstairs, with a two gang switch for each. any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi. I am mobile at the moment so I can't put up a diagram.
    Basically you have 2 common 2 L1 ,2 L2.
    Permanent live goes to one common, the other common goes to the light.
    L1 wires to L1
    L2 wires to L2
    Hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What switches have you got at present though, usually its already at least a 2 gang in the hall downstairs, one for hall light and one for landing.
    And a lot of houses have a three gang with one for a porch light.

The 2 gang or 3 gang would be a 2 way already being used for the hall light, but just using it as a 1 way.

So what is your switching arrangement at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Thanks for the replys guys.

robbie at present there is a 3 gang in the hall, 1 for porch, 1 for hall and 1 for landing. i presume the hall and porch switch are being used as 1 way switches, and the landing switch as a 2 way. just wondering how it is wired as it seems very confusing.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In newer houses the hall switch may also be 2 way with a switch on the landing.

• Advertisement

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys guys.

robbie at present there is a 3 gang in the hall, 1 for porch, 1 for hall and 1 for landing. i presume the hall and porch switch are being used as 1 way switches, and the landing switch as a 2 way. just wondering how it is wired as it seems very confusing.

Thanks again.

Yes the hall and porch will be wired as 1 way but the switches in the 3 gang switch will all be 2 way switches if its a 3 gang standard rather than the grid type.
    You need to first of all bring 3 single brown 1.5 pvc/pvc wires and a 1.5 earth from the hall switch position up to the position you want the upstairs switch to control the hall light. Or a twin brown & earth and a single 1.5 pvc/pvc brown. Probably would`t need the earth if you double up the landing switch with the upstairs hall one. Maybe none of the switch positions have earths anyway depending on age of house.

As you can probably gather its not really a diy type job, but one for a competent sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

thanks.

i will be getting someone to do it, just would like an idea of hows its done. they are two ways switches being used as one way(porch and hall switch) except for the landing switch in hall which is two way? so what i need is a two gang two way switch upstairs, one for landing and one for hall? ive seen diagrams but their not usually shown with more than one light and this is where i get confused...:mad: a diagram would be a massive help with both lights shown :)

thanks again lads

switches2.jpg
    The bottom shows one way of connecting the extra 2 way, the usual 2 way requires a connector in the existing switch if running 3 cores from existing switch to new one, or else rewire of switch wire to the hall light, the above method eliminates needing a connector when running 3 wires from the existing to the new 2 way.

Advertisement