Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2010 - Discussion

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Prompted by the gigs of the year and albums of the year threads, I thought we'd tie all that stuff together and have some polls and voting. So this is where you folks come in, lets try to get a list of categories done up. I'll look after creating voting threads for them and then at some point (maybe mid-December) I'll reveal the results.

These are the initial categories I thought of:
    • Metal Album of the Year
    • Rock Album of the Year
    • Band of the Year
    • Gig of the Year
    • Irish Band of the Year
    • Video of the Year

Some questions I'd like opinions on:
    • Should we do both a best and worst list?
    • Should we differentiate between rock & metal in all categories?

Lastly, if you can think of any other categories, post them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Great idea.

I think the initial categories you have there are a good start. We can always add more if needs be, but we have the basics covered. Particularly like the Irish band of the year one.

I don't see the point personally of doing a best and worst of. There's enough bitching about albums as it is :P Maybe just keep it positive?

I wouldn't particularly say differentiate between rock and metal in all categories as there's bound to be crossover and it could just add confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks for the input Dr. Poca. I suppose keeping it positive might be a good idea as you say :) I'd like to at least have separate rock and metal album awards but other than that maybe we can just leave it as is.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'd like to at least have separate rock and metal album awards but other than that maybe we can just leave it as is.

Yeah I agree with you there.

I'll have to start thinking about what to nominate now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah I'd keep it as it is. I was going to say maybe differentiate rock & metal for album of the year, but thats done.

Just to clarify, the Gig of the Year must have happened in Ireland yeah? Like the other thread?

As for other categories....maybe some random moments (like biggest discussion/shock/etc. in rock/metal), even dedicate the award after someone? And maybe also one for Best Poster on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Will there be any need for another gig of the year vote in this thread? I think the other thread is fine, and will only add to the confusion if one's done in here.

The plan is, towards end of december i'll count up the nominations, top 10 then go into a poll and everybody gets 1 vote only

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

scudzilla wrote: »
    Will there be any need for another gig of the year vote in this thread? I think the other thread is fine, and will only add to the confusion if one's done in here.

The plan is, towards end of december i'll count up the nominations, top 10 then go into a poll and everybody gets 1 vote only
    I imagine we can just count that thread as part of these awards

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I imagine we can just count that thread as part of these awards

I'd agree here, it's a ready-made platform to get some great gigs listed.

I'm just wondering, what would band of the year be based on?

Denny M wrote: »
    I'd agree here, it's a ready-made platform to get some great gigs listed.

I'm just wondering, what would band of the year be based on?

For that one you're gonna have to have some stipulations, like they must have released an album this year and/or played a gig on IRISH soil, if they've done both then they should have an advantage over others

Mushy wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the Gig of the Year must have happened in Ireland yeah? Like the other thread?
    Yeah, if scudzilla wants to look after that one then that's fine with me.
    Mushy wrote:
    As for other categories....maybe some random moments (like biggest discussion/shock/etc. in rock/metal), even dedicate the award after someone? And maybe also one for Best Poster on this forum?
    Good idea, talking point and shock of the year would be good I reckon. I don't know about best poster. How do you define best? That could be enough of a talking point on its own ;).

Cool, that's fine with me if you want to handle that one. There are 25 maximum options on a poll apparently so you can easily go above 10 if you want.

Denny M wrote: »
    what would band of the year be based on?
    I hadn't really thought. What do you think it should be based on?
    For that one you're gonna have to have some stipulations, like they must have released an album this year and/or played a gig on IRISH soil, if they've done both then they should have an advantage over others
    That sounds like a good start. How do we define an advantage though? Weigh the votes more in their favour or something? As in each vote is worth 1 normally, 1.5 if the band has released an album or played a gig here and 2 if they have done both.

• Advertisement

I hadn't really thought. What do you think it should be based on?

That sounds like a good start. How do we define an advantage though? Weigh the votes more in their favour or something? As in each vote is worth 1 normally, 1.5 if the band has released an album or played a gig here and 2 if they have done both.

To be honest if a band hasn't released an album or played here this year then they have no right to be included as they've done fcuk all!!!

Let people nominate Band of the year, then whittle the nominations down to a top 5/10 and add a poll

Each vote is worth 1 point, 2 if the band have released a new album this year AND played a gig on Irish soil

So if Metallica get's 15 votes, Maiden gets 10, then Maiden will get bumped up to 20 for the new album and the irish gig.

Just rewards the bands for putting the effort in

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

To be honest if a band hasn't released an album or played here this year then they have no right to be included as they've done fcuk all!!!

Let people nominate Band of the year, then whittle the nominations down to a top 5/10 and add a poll

Each vote is worth 1 point, 2 if the band have released a new album this year AND played a gig on Irish soil

So if Metallica get's 15 votes, Maiden gets 10, then Maiden will get bumped up to 20 for the new album and the irish gig.

Just rewards the bands for putting the effort in

would agree with this.

I think the whole thing is a great idea, and ye're going about it the right way. So when can I start voting? :)

Good idea, talking point and shock of the year would be good I reckon. I don't know about best poster. How do you define best? That could be enough of a talking point on its own ;).

Well a person who has posts you enjoy reading, have clarity, make a good argument and/or add to discussion....that to me would be considered the best. If anyone would add anything, please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

This sounds like a great idea. How about an award for best new band? I am thinking that Bands who have released their debut album this year would be eligible for nomination and presumably voted based on the quality of the album, but it could include other things such as gigs etc.
    As for other categories....maybe some random moments (like biggest discussion/shock/etc. in rock/metal), even dedicate the award after someone?
    My immediate thought was to dedicate this to Dio.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    How about an award for best new band?

That's a good one. I'm in favour of this being added to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    This sounds like a great idea. How about an award for best new band? I am thinking that Bands who have released their debut album this year would be eligible for nomination and presumably voted based on the quality of the album, but it could include other things such as gigs etc.

My immediate thought was to dedicate this to Dio.
    Why Dio? I'm not really fan of high register vocals.
    Pete Steele is dead again and Mike Portnoy can be nominated for KILLER OF THE YEAR :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Jem_ wrote: »
    Why Dio? I'm not really fan of high register vocals.
    Pete Steele is dead again and Mike Portnoy can be nominated for KILLER OF THE YEAR :pac::pac::pac:

I think the decision to dedicate it to someone would require plenty of discussion, no matter who is chosen there are going to be fans who support the choice and others who disagree. That discussion could require a thread to itself.
    While you are not a fan, I am and no doubt others would agree with both of us. I think Dio had a great career, filled in a difficult role joining Black Sabbath after Ozzy, and had lots of great solo and Rainbow albums. He will be remembered as a major figure in metal, and this would be a fitting dedication imho.

+1 on Mike Portnoy :)

JBnaglfar wrote:
    How about an award for best new band?
    That sounds like a good addition.

I speed-read Mushy's post and I thought he had written this:
    Well a person who has posts you enjoy reading, have clarity, make a good argument and/or add to discussion....that would be me

On closer inspection I see I was slightly mistaken :).

Haha yes, I am so vain!

Okay, I've done some preliminary totalling of the votes. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to voted so far. I have noticed a few things though:
    • In the New Band of the Year category, there hasn't actually been more than one vote for any band yet. If you're not sure who to vote for, just vote for Carcer City :).
    • This is related to the previous point, if you've left a category blank please try and take the time to fill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

:pac::pac::pac::pac: I love the tekkie who put that up on the screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RC88 wrote: »
    Irish Band/Artist of the Year-Imelda May
    Video of the Year-Imelda May's Psycho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NkJwFucnM
    this is the rock & metal forum?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    this is the rock & metal forum?
    I suppose she belongs to the rockabilly genre which is of course a sub-genre of rock n' roll so technically it's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Thats pushing it IMO.

(however she's not going to win, so i'll drop it)

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats pushing it IMO.

(however she's not going to win, so i'll drop it)
    Sure it's not rock in the Guns N' Roses or AC DC sense of the genre but it is still rock. I suppose it's a good example of an edge case when rock is such a wide ranging genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

malice, just wondering if i could change my best video vote in the Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2010 Voting to Airbourne's Blonde, Bad And Beautiful, can't seem to change it myself, might have left it too long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=rdWi9aC39z4&gl=US

cheers

donno what i was doing with the first vote:confused:

Prompted by the gigs of the year and albums of the year threads, I thought we'd tie all that stuff together and have some polls and voting. So this is where you folks come in, lets try to get a list of categories done up. I'll look after creating voting threads for them and then at some point (maybe mid-December) I'll reveal the results.

These are the initial categories I thought of:
    • Metal Album of the Year
    • Rock Album of the Year
    • Band of the Year
    • Gig of the Year
    • Irish Band of the Year
    • Video of the Year
    Some questions I'd like opinions on:
    • Should we do both a best and worst list?
    • Should we differentiate between rock & metal in all categories?
    Lastly, if you can think of any other categories, post them up.

i think a best/worst list could be useful, it'll warn people off of getting a c**p album or song and listening to some decent new stuff, then again, not everyone is gonna like/hate the same thing

plus a song of the year vote might b good

malice, just wondering if i could change my best video vote in the Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2010 Voting to Airbourne's Blonde, Bad And Beautiful, can't seem to change it myself, might have left it too long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=rdWi9aC39z4&gl=US

cheers

donno what i was doing with the first vote:confused:
    No problem, I've changed it for you now. I think regular users can only edit their posts for a day, after that us moderators have to do it. For future reference if you need me or another moderator to do something, it'd be better to send a PM rather than posting in a thread as the post might be missed but a PM wouldn't be.
    i think a best/worst list could be useful, it'll warn people off of getting a c**p album or song and listening to some decent new stuff, then again, not everyone is gonna like/hate the same thing

plus a song of the year vote might b good
    Well it's a bit late for this year's voting but I'll bear that in mind for next year.

No problem, I've changed it for you now. I think regular users can only edit their posts for a day, after that us moderators have to do it. For future reference if you need me or another moderator to do something, it'd be better to send a PM rather than posting in a thread as the post might be missed but a PM wouldn't be.

Well it's a bit late for this year's voting but I'll bear that in mind for next year.

no prob , cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

so where do I view the winner's?

Advertisement