Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a ramp

• 12-11-2010 2:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. My first post here.
    Can anyone recommend a good website with info on the basics for building: ie mix ratios for concrete and mortar, depth and size of foundations and stuff like that. I need to build an access ramp from driveway to lawn for lawnmower, wheelbarrow etc. I have a good idea what I want to do to but I'd just like to read about the right way to do things before I make a start.
    Height difference is about three foot

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Your thinking way too much. How long is the ramp. A very basic mix will do, but I wouldn'd fill the entire thing with conc at all.

For the lawnmower I assume you talking about 3m-5m min. Leave 4" depth on the top and fill this with 1:3 or 4 mix and you will be fine. You can backfill the rest will anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Harry. I'm probably overthinking this all right but the ground is soft where I'm building. The existing ramp has cracked in two places cause it wasn't on a secure footing and I don't want that to happen again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are worried about the ramp cracking use a little mesh or some rebar tied together and spaced and your ramp will be as strong as you need.

Advertisement