Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Property - Dog Vs. Lease

Options
  • 12-11-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Moving in 2 weeks. Renting a house and have paid deposit. Have yet to sign lease but read over it and it has a section which states no animals. Therein lies the problem - I have a small dog! Opinions please as to how I might "broach" the subject with the owner? I guess it's not worth saying nothing and just moving in with the dog, because I'll probably just be asked to move back out!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

What ever about hiding a cat,a dog is a little harder to conceal!!! I would say it to them,maybe offer a further deposit??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Just come out and say it, give details, is the dog house trained, does he shed much hair?

Is it a holding deposit you've paid or the full rental deposit? Why wasn't a lease signed at the same time? :confused: I hope you have a receipt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Someone recently on here gave the good advise of getting a reference from your current landlord for the dog. Show that it is house trainied, has not made a mess of the furniture, floors etc. Might help your cause.

Whatever you do be up front with the landlord tho. Its not worth the potential hassle that could arise from not telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Renter's market, just say it to him, far less hassle in the long run.

Deposit is irrelevant, if you do not go through with the lease, he must return it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

We were in a similar position about a month ago. We thought we'd have awful hassle trying to find somewhere but we said it to the landlord when viewing and, surprisingly, ever one of them said it would be fine! Our mutt is a big dog who stays inside (downstairs). We simply said she was very well trained, never damages anything and on the off chance she did we wouldn't expect any allowance in the wear and tear.

It really is a renters market, be upfront. It's not worth the hassle and stress of lying. If they don't like it, get your deposit back and find somewhere else. If you're like us then the dog is a member of your family and more important than a house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement