Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography in the O2 (The Point)

• 12-11-2010 3:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was there last night at the gorrilaz, had my D90 with 18-105 lens.
    Took a few while De La Soul was on, no prob.
    As soon as Gorrilaz came on I had some guy come over and tell me I can't take pics with a lens bigger then 1 inch.
    I fobbed him off like "yeah whatever pal"
    A little while later took another one and he was straight over shouting in my face. For the whole rest of the gig he was constantly checking on me. Total buzz kill.

Question, what the hell is the point (no pun intended) in such a rule? I was in the upstair seating area, not exactly prime photo location.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

iamstop wrote: »
    I was there last night at the gorrilaz, had my D90 with 18-105 lens.
    Took a few while De La Soul was on, no prob.
    As soon as Gorrilaz came on I had some guy come over and tell me I can't take pics with a lens bigger then 1 inch.
    I fobbed him off like "yeah whatever pal"
    A little while later took another one and he was straight over shouting in my face. For the whole rest of the gig he was constantly checking on me. Total buzz kill.

Question, what the hell is the point (no pun intended) in such a rule? I was in the upstair seating area, not exactly prime photo location.
    Yea, most big promoters enforce this rule. You can sometimes get away with it at smaller venues / gigs. They basically don't want anyone taking photos with what they see as "professional" equipment which you could potentially make money off with the photos you took.

They see it as money out of their pocket.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I figured it was some crap like that. Like bringing your own popcorn to a cinema or something. Ridiculous rule though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find the idea of bringing a camera to a concert, unless you're up the front and have arranged to be able to take photos, bizarre. you're there for the music, and any shots you get are likely to be poor.
    plus, if i had someone beside me with a flash going off during the gig, it'd be a bit of a buzz kill.

I figured it was some crap like that. Like bringing your own popcorn to a cinema or something. Ridiculous rule though.
    It is annoying alright. I like to have good quality photos of gigs I go to and bands I like just for the memory really, and this just happens to be the type of camera I own.

I got refused entry into a punk festival in Blackpool during the summer because of my camera. A PUNK festival. Needless to say I wont be attending next year.

you're there for the music

Also there for the atmosphere, visuals, actually seeing the band perform etc. Seeing a band live can complete change your outlook on the music you were listening to at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

i find the idea of bringing a camera to a concert, unless you're up the front and have arranged to be able to take photos, bizarre. you're there for the music, and any shots you get are likely to be poor.
    plus, if i had someone beside me with a flash going off during the gig, it'd be a bit of a buzz kill.

I was about half a mile from the stage, zero point in having the flash on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not much point in having the camera either so?

not much point in having the camera either so?
    Totally disagree.

Sure the pictures wont be good enough to sell, but they'll be important memories to the person who was at the concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Last time I was at the Point, an usher told me you can't use a lens longer than 50mm. Leave the camera at home and enjoy the music I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Did you read the terms and conditions clearly indicated on the back of the tickets? It says no photography is allowed in the venue so you broke the rule and the security guy had every right to tell you to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

it is likely that the rules aren't the venue or promoter's *fault*

I remember a discussion previously where a boards member did promotions and said something to the effect that this is part of their contract with the management of the artist, and if they are seen to be overtly allowing it by the artists crew, then breach of contract / liable for fines / no further promotions are likely.

bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

In all honesty, I have been aware since being a teenager that international bands and places like o2 and rds would not allow photography equipment. I am actually surprised by the amount of people using normal digital cameras at gigs, years ago they wouldnt even be allowed.

Not only is there the possibilty that artists and venues do not want concert goers profiting from images taken there but also the fact that they know the professional photographers who have access to the pit will be taking high quality pictures which will help to promote the artists and the venue. For larger gigs pros will only get access through a newspaper or magazine, not just by calling up and saying Im a pro and I want to photograph xxx.

It is understandable, for artists their image is a huge selling point and having a bad picture of them printed isnt going to do their reputation any justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Question, what the hell is the point in such a rule?

there isn't really a point, the main reason for not letting SLRs be used is to stop high quality (potentially publishable images) photos be taken by people. the bands management/label/pr want to control the high quality images that are taken at gigs to limit which publications are allowed to shoot.

even though, if something happened that the PR wouldn't want published, (the stage going on fire, speakers collapsing, singer acting drunk etc) there would be loads of people with point & shoot cameras who have the images up on twitter and facebook almost instantly

I was there with a press pass last night, and I know some other pros weren't given passes, but luckily the publication i was shooting for was allowed

if it's any consolation, give me a shout and i'll sort you out with a print of mine from the gig

http://www.state.ie/news/24168-gorillaz-o2-in-pictures

james_goulden-gorillaz-o2-11nov10-7482_0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nice work as always James.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Came across this link on bodytonic, nice shots.

http://www.davidmcclelland-photography.com/archives/892

Advertisement