Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wood door issue

Options
  • 12-11-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We bought our windows and doors from a company in the West just over 2 years ago. Our Front Door is oak. I sanded and sealed the door during the summer and all was fine. Until 2 days ago I spotted some water leaking in about a foot from the base of the door. It also looks slightly darker than the rest of the door. Theres definitely a leak or something in the door itself.
    I contacted the company we bought them from and was informed that they dont guarantee solid wood products because they can warp and swell. Im just wondering if I have any rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Bump - anyone able to help?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have been told that about solid doors before - A lot of care has to go into them being kept at room temperature, out of damp etc, for a couple of weeks etc otherwise they will warp.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I have been told that about solid doors before - A lot of care has to go into them being kept at room temperature, out of damp etc, for a couple of weeks etc otherwise they will warp.

Hi whiterebel,

This is the front door of the house though. Youd imagine its supposed to be made to keep out wind and rain?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi whiterebel,

This is the front door of the house though. Youd imagine its supposed to be made to keep out wind and rain?

If you subject the doors to extremes without properly preparing them first they will warp. Thats what I was told about internal solid doors, I would imagine the same applies to external, as you have to let the door contract and expand naturally until it is right.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you subject the doors to extremes without properly preparing them first they will warp. Thats what I was told about internal solid doors, I would imagine the same applies to external, as you have to let the door contract and expand naturally until it is right.

I know what youre saying but Im assuming the door was correct when it was installed by the company. All I was suppsed to do was treat it each year with external varnish, which Ive done. One of the lads in Woodcraft forum looked at the photo and said it looks to be a problem with the seals on the door itself. This isnt something that Im supposed to treat or worry about as it should have been done properly before it left the workshop and was installed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement