Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

external HDD not working

• 12-11-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

I have a western digital 500gb external harddrive that doesnt seem to be working. It doesnt make any noise like it used to when it is plugged in. the green light still comes on but nothing else happens and laptop doesnt recognised it as plugged in my usb. Anywhere in Dublin i can go to get data off it or can it be easily fixed?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your best bet is to try another enclosure or USB adapter cable, they cheap on ebay. If you haven't dropped the drive you'll prob be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Bought a new Belkin usb cable and still doesnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've had the problem with external drives before where the USB drivers got messed up and windows stopped recognising the connection of the device to the USB port. I found deleting and reinstalling the devices listed under USB corrected the problem.

Just be aware though - if you have other previously installed USB devices, removing the USB devices will probably mean you will have to uninstall/reinstall them to get them working again.

Edit: I would check with diff PC and diff USB cable before trying this. I would only do this if the problem seems localised to 1 particular PC.

I didn't mean the regular USB cable you connect the drive with (although these could go faulty too); I meant a IDE/SATA -- USB adapter, a bit like an enclosure without the box.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I didn't mean the regular USB cable you connect the drive with (although these could go faulty too); I meant a IDE/SATA -- USB adapter, a bit like an enclosure without the box.
    where can i buy a ide /sata adaptor to connect the hard drive to my laptop?
    The hard disk doesnt move anymore but power light is on.

• Advertisement

here is one, it does IDE & SATA, but at 500GB, I expect yours is SATA.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1289962176&sr=8-4
    is that the right thing?

I found a site showing ya what to do.
    http://www.ransackery.com/western-digital-mybook-open-case-recover-data.htm
    My drive is identical to the one featured and i am gonna follow the instructions. My friend is an engineer so i'll ask him if he has that equipment.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is it showing up in disk management (Right click my computer -> manage)

See if there is a 500GB hard drive showing up with no letter assigned to it

The amazon item you link to should do the trick, and the disassembly guide looks good too. Lets hope they sort you out !

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Is it showing up in disk management (Right click my computer -> manage)

See if there is a 500GB hard drive showing up with no letter assigned to it
    No, no 500 gb hard drive showing up without a letter

• Advertisement
Advertisement