Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

baby hates car seat

• 12-11-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

My 1 year old son does not settle when placed in the car seat. He will contiually cry until he is taken out.
    At this point he has worked himself into a state. Any tips that might help please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Most obvious question is 'Is the seat comfortable'? Is he slumped? Is it adjusted to the right height for him? Is your seat suitable for a 1-year old or does he need a bigger seat? Are the seatbelt straps too tight on him?

When did all of this start?

Another question is do you have the radio on while you are driving and how loud is it? Sometimes the speakers in the back of the car are far louder than those in the front and if his head is right beside the speakers he might be getting an earful. You may need to adjust the settings (as I have) to mute the speakers at the back.

Do you go on long journeys with him all the time? He may be bored and need a toy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Our 7 month old has never liked his car seat. Still hates it. Puts up with it for a bit on short journeys mostly, other times will get himself into a real state until he passes out. His sister never minded at all and we could bring her anywhere no bother.

I'm hoping it might change when he's old enough for a forward facing seat. Is you're fella pointing forward or back?

Also, one thing I keep an eye on is, although it might be 2 degrees outside, a car heats up quickly and if himself is wrapped up like a mummy he's going to be too hot and tell you about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My lad went through a phase of this when he was about 11 months. I brought the car seat into the house and got him to sit in it for a few minutes every day while I read him a story or played tickles or had something really nice to eat. I'd also put him into it in the car for just a few minutes at a time with the car door open so he could see out while I cleaned the car or did a bit of weeding in the yard. Before he had a chance to get bored I'd take him out again. Then when it was time to go for a drive, I'd make sure he had some toys within reach and that I had some snacks to distract him with. Having someone sit in the back with him also helped. I don't know whether he just grew out of it or if all that worked - he's no bother now in any case. In fact his favourite word (of the six words he knows) is 'car' - even I'm called 'car'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Is he bursting out of a rearward facing car seat or is he far too upright in a forward facing car seat?

Are the straps correctly positioned on his shoulders? If they are under his shoulder height they can make him "hunch" and it can be really uncomfortable for him.

Advertisement