Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments - Annual fee - how much do you pay?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have been offered an allotment for 300 euros per year. It's 100 meters square.
    Do you think this is good value ? I'm a novive so its hard to know if I can grow
    enough stuff in one year to cover this cost ?

Rgs,
    Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

First of all, may I suggest you clarify if it's 100m x 100m or 100m2 (which could be 10 x 10 or 5 x 20)? Then those with similar plot sizes can let you know!

I know someone who has an allotment, and he views it as being a ready source of fresh vegetables that he's raised himself, rather than being cheap vegetables. I think if you want cheap veg, your german discount supermarket's the way to go. If you want to enjoy the outdoors, see a crop grow over the months from seed to plate, then it seems to be good value for the enjoyment!

FWIW I think his is about 8m x 80m or something like that, and he pays about 350 for it in a year. These measurements may not be exact, but they're an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My allotment is 15m x 7ms and has its own tap and is 150 for the year.

Free manure etc also

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

hi.... its 5 x 20

I have already run out of growing space in my garden (well taken as much growing space as my wife will allow)... so its for the enjoyment rather than
    cheap vegtables I'm after.

I have an option of a different allotment (same size) for 100 per year but it not within walking distance.... its a long enough drive to other side of drogheda...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

North County Dublin,250 square metered allotment,with shed and runing water supply from a natural spring.

300 euro per year.

Oh we have a car parking space right beside the allotment,(actually every allotment has its own car space)and as much free manure and hay as we want and need too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

paddy147 wrote: »
    North County Dublin,250 square metered allotment,with shed and runing water supply from a natural spring.

300 euro per year.

Oh we have a car parking space right beside the allotment,(actually every allotment has its own car space)and as much free manure and hay as we want and need too.:)

sounds great. pity its a bit far from Drogheda for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€300 a year seems to be the upper end of the market; dublin city council allotments (albeit with a long waiting list) are €25 a year or thereabouts.

€300 a year seems to be the upper end of the market; dublin city council allotments (albeit with a long waiting list) are €25 a year or thereabouts.

Yeah,but look at what you get for that,and also the restrictions that are put in place,like what you cannot do or grow on them.;)

Theres allotments run by the county council St Annes park and they are so small and pittyfull its actually laughable.
    You cannot drive anywhere near them,even though there is access for cars/trucks,but you are not allowed to bring in your car.
    You have to wheel barrow all your supplies about half a mile down a walkway to the allotment,you cannot grow fruit trees,no running water,you cannot have a shed,and so on and so on.

Pittyfull.

leonards wrote: »
    sounds great. pity its a bit far from Drogheda for me :(

It is great,and its big too.Pathway goes right down the middle of the allotment to the end and either side of the pathway is the allotment.250 square meters and very peacefull too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Fingal Co. Co. allotment in Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15

10m x 10m = E100 pa.
    10m x 5 m = E50 pa.

Only opened last year. Loads of plots available.

Advertisement