Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boerboels (Any owners out there)

• 12-11-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

As a fan and owner of Rhodesians myself and since the Boerboel shares a common history with the RR I was wondering if there were any owners of this breed in Ireland? Have not seen any here but have seen them abroad. Very impressive dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Not here, but a person I know in Spain owned one. massive massive dog, obsessed with carrying balls around all the time. Surprisingly gentle for such a large heavy dog, clever too, he knew loads of commands. But my god, he used to go through a LOT of food. I'd be worried about having one here because of the stupid restrictions on certain breeds. A dog like boerboel could easily suffer because of it. Stupid Stupid bloody anti-breed nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I know one, my bf's sister's room mate has one. Super dog but not for the faint hearted. I've heard it's the new 'tough guy' dog of choice in America along with the Cane Corsos making the Pit Bull and Rottie look like pussy cats in the wrong hands.:eek:
    The Boerboel I know has really bad joints, when I saw him stand up and I asked how old he was I nearly fell off my chair when I was told, this dog was only 18 months old, I would have aged him at about 8 or 9, had by far the worst hips and stiffest joints I'd ever seen, poor guy couldn't even sit properly:(
    A mix of bad breeding and overwalking as a pup I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Not here, but a person I know in Spain owned one. massive massive dog, obsessed with carrying balls around all the time. Surprisingly gentle for such a large heavy dog, clever too, he knew loads of commands. But my god, he used to go through a LOT of food. I'd be worried about having one here because of the stupid restrictions on certain breeds. A dog like boerboel could easily suffer because of it. Stupid Stupid bloody anti-breed nonsense.

Surely they can't include these on the Restricted breed list as they aren't named on it? Anyone any better knowledge of this? I know of someone considering a Belgian Shephard as an alternative to a GSD specifically for the reason that they aren't on the list either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Surely they can't include these on the Restricted breed list as they aren't named on it? Anyone any better knowledge of this? I know of someone considering a Belgian Shephard as an alternative to a GSD specifically for the reason that they aren't on the list either ;)
    Yup you're right, unless they change the law Boerboel owners won't have any trouble. I would certainly assume the same regarding the Belgian Shepherds but could they be considered a "Strain" of GSD and therefore subject to the RB rules? I know nothing about BS's, perhaps the similarities are in the name alone but seeing as how wardens are fining people in their own homes now its not too great a step to lump the belgians in with ze germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    As a fan and owner of Rhodesians myself and since the Boerboel shares a common history with the RR I was wondering if there were any owners of this breed in Ireland? Have not seen any here but have seen them abroad. Very impressive dogs.

Two pups for sale here!!

http://buyandsell.ie/search/adv_search?search_term=Boerboels&search

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

€2000 for a pup. Wow. There are a couple for less than €200 on Donedeal. I would always like to see the parents first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just thought Id mention here that there's a boerboel for adoption on the DAR website, doubt they come into rescue too often. http://www.dar.ie/index.php?page=dogs-needing-homes Scroll down to Bibi.

Advertisement