Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onus on the consumer to prove Televison Fault.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The nice thing is (coming back to the OP) that if the buyer proves that the unit had a manufacturing defect then curry's must replace the unit as the burden of proof becomes an almost impossible fight. They would then be in a situation where they have to essentially discredit the report in order to move forward, they would have to find reason that the technicians report is not correct, this cannot simply be another report into the issue.
    The issue of cost is another matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

Hi.
    Just to update the situation that i was explaining on this thread regarding Curry's and the faulty TV.

A representitive from Curry's rang my friends this morning to tell them they could return to the store in question and get a replacement TV for the amount that they paid for the original set or get an upgrade and pay the extra.

Good result all in all i would say even though it was pretty obvious that they would have to replace or refund after already going down the repair route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ch750536 wrote: »
    The nice thing is (coming back to the OP) that if the buyer proves that the unit had a manufacturing defect then curry's must replace the unit as the burden of proof becomes an almost impossible fight. They would then be in a situation where they have to essentially discredit the report in order to move forward, they would have to find reason that the technicians report is not correct, this cannot simply be another report into the issue.
    The issue of cost is another matter of course.
    Quite true.

I don't see the big issue with the Curry's stance really. Assuming that the product has not been abused and damaged by the owner, surely when the internal electronics fail for whatever reason, it could only be as a result of poor quality parts being used that ave failed early.
    In other words, the "faulty" parts were there from the start.

Throwing the onus of proof onto the consumer outside of the warranty isn't that unfair either. The seller can't be married to it for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Great thread, should retitled and stickied.

Tne stuff Declan comes out with is unbelievable.

There's no need for an engineers report, cirrus can do one themselves if the want.
    The goods are covered by soga for their lifetime.

For cast iron, the retailer is "married" to the goods, that's the law whether you likes it or not ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

GEM_13 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just to update the situation that i was explaining on this thread regarding Curry's and the faulty TV.

A representitive from Curry's rang my friends this morning to tell them they could return to the store in question and get a replacement TV for the amount that they paid for the original set or get an upgrade and pay the extra.

Good result all in all i would say even though it was pretty obvious that they would have to replace or refund after already going down the repair route.

Declan should have replied to this.

declan There should be no need for consumers to have to go through these hoops and waste our time. This should be dealt with asap with a single phone call, or a single visit to your shop.

You really need to educate your staff in what our rights as consumers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I have just read through the whole thread from start to finish.

Firstly Declan, by shying away and not replying to this thread anymore, I think that just admits defeat. Instead of saying you got it wrong, ignore the thread and you put out the message that you are just out to rip people off. You and your company have done yourselves no favours by avoiding questions and avoiding the truth.

I was out christmas shopping earlier today, and lucky for me, I almost spent a large sum of money in one of your stores. Since reading this thread I have since changed my mind and have decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Another thing to note is that a large portion of my friends, family and coworkers would consider me to be quite tech-savy and would always come to me before buying nearly all electrical items, to ask advice on what type they need, what brand to buy, and also where to buy from. Given your customer service approach, I think its fair to say that I dont think I will ever be suggesting that people should purchase anything from one of your stores again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Currys MD must have not got round to meeting with the Consumer Agency after all.

He continues to rewrite legislation and preach it as gospel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056751078

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing thread as it has gone on long enough.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement