Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro - Wireless Printing with Vodafone Hg556a

Options
  • 12-11-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

How do I get my macbook pro to wireless connect with my printer using my recently purchased Vodafone HG556a broadband router?

I know that this can be done. I rang vodafone and they sent me the manual, saying that the all info they had related to PCs. TBH they didn't really know what to do. The manual in question doesn't have a whole pile of info.

Ideally I would like to have my printer, portable harddrive, and old laptop all connected to the router/modem, and accessible wirelessly from my macbook. Can anybody help me do this??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What printer do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you connect the usb to the back of the router, and login to the vodafone interface by typing 192.168.1.1 username and password are vodafone/vodafone

you will see the option for printer, follow the wizard and it will work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

When you are adding the printer to your Mac, go to the printer preferences as you normally would and click on the plus to add a new printer. You need to make sure that the IP pane is selected. The protocol you are using is IPP, the address will be 192.168.1.1:631 and the queue will be printers/(the name of the printer you selected). Finally you should select the correct driver from the print using dropdown at the bottom.

You still need to do the part that akamossie suggested first though. Should work after all that.

As for having a hard drive and a printer shared out at the same time, that really depends if firstly the firmware on the router has support for a usb hub as it only appears to have one usb port in the manual for generic USB devices and secondly if it will allow itself to be configured in this way. I suspect it will as at a glance I'd say its running some sort of linux kernel, but the only way to be certain is to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Thanks guys for all the help so far, much appreciated.

I've followed your advice and seem to have made a connection to the printer, but the print job pauses when I try to print a document

"/usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd failed" is the message I get when I use the Generic PCL Laser Printer option. This has worked fine when I've printed directly using a printer cable but the print job pauses now that I've tried it wirelessly. It gets to 7% job complete and then goes to pause.

If I change the printer driver to the Samsung ML-1610 driver offered on the dropdown menu provided by apple I get the message "SpliX cannot get input slot information"

Is this an issue with the router, the printer, the driver, or something else.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Did you ever get a solution to this problem.

I have the exact same problem with the Vodafone DSL router, a HP1160 printer and a MacBook Air. Connects fine on the mac and prints the first time then every time after that the job just pauses.

If i reboot the router it will print again but pauses after the first print job.

I have tried updating the Firmware on the router which was 25 and is now 26.
    I have also tried using different print drivers, both the specific 1160 driver and a generic PCL driver.

It seems to work fine with my windows computer.
    I have a lot of experience with windows but am new to Mac's. Any ideas, this is driving me cracked, at it half the weekend now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Bump.
    Help please anyone?

Advertisement