Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc upgrade/repair service

Options
  • 12-11-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hello all,

not too sure if this is the right section for this, but seeming as there are plenty of tech folks around here.............

im looking for some advice on a particular subject. Ive recently come into a lot of unpaid free time - aka - no job!
    I was self employed for the past 6 years and now cannot find work anywhere (on top of that, no state handouts are permitted!)

Anyways, over the years, fixing, upgrading and building pc's and laptops has being a rather lucrative side line of mine with plenty of home users wanting maintenance and advice on home computing/networks. Ive never really advertised it and only got business through repeat custom and word of mouth. Now, with all the free time and all the bills mounting up, im thinking of taking this up as a full time, one man only, venture.

My question is really, what sort of qualifications, in theory, should i have for this sort of business? Everything i currently know is self thought through 17 years of trial and error!!!!!biggrin.gif

My experience extends to:
    pc/laptop rebuilds
    hardware replacements/upgrades
    software installations/upgrades
    Virus removal
    Home network configuration
    Data retrieval/recovery

Anyone who may have dabbled in this area before, help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i often though of doing this myself but any research ive done always comes to the same thing, there is no money to be made in it unfortunately. most people will know someone who knows someone who will sort them out for free.
    if u are interested in getting better educated in line with this. id recommend a cert course in electronics at night somewhere like kevin st DIT. in electronics u will learn how a computer works at the most fundamental level, everything else in comparison is a piece of cake tbh when u have this level of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I've posted a similar response before, and as above, you'll be putting yourself up against people who'll be doing it at the nixer level, or even for free. It's a tough one to make a business out of. Not impossible, but tough.

I do get recalled from people I've done nixers for so maybe there's some sideline money there.

I know the economy has slowed but you might possibly get some contract work with hardware rollouts, or something like that. Nothing too difficult but they like people to know what they're doing as regards hardware. Your age could work in your favour in this regard as a "sensible head". ageism can be beneficial sometimes ;)

I think any business would welcome someone who has done it all themselves and has computer experience/knowledge. Dust off the CV and push those points.

I get emails everyday from job websites, not sure how many are legit, or just to bolster the agencies database, but there's definitely openings being advertised in the IT sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

morning chaps.

Thank you for the advice there. Yes, competing with the freebie lads i have come across in the past, in fact, cleaning up messes left behind by freebie computer tech people has lead to me gaining more work, every cloud, silver lining and all that.............!

In relation to becoming a properly recognised qualified IT guy, i guess Ill get my home service of the ground and then start working towards getting the cv dusted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

probably the quickest and easiest one to do is the A+ which will prove that you have basic hardware knowledge
    you can just buy the book and sit the exam at a test centre
    but to be honest do you really need to have a piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

certain pieces of paper are important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you've time on your hands, why not do it.

But its won't pay your time, to run it as a business. If you've any overheads.

If you keep getting work from referrals and repeat business, I don't see why you need any paper qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

There might be a niche for "confidentiality" in your marketing blurb if you decide to go ahead..

Many people I know are scared ****less of going to tech places to get pc fixed and rightly so. A few Sky News exposee's seem to show that the techies in these places seem unable to resist snooping your stuff.

Just a thought.

Advertisement