Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs in urgent plea for help

• 12-11-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Bohemian FC are to have an important meeting in St Peter's Hall, Phibsborough this Tuesday, 16th November to discuss the club's financial difficulties. The club are asking fans for generous donations to help them raise 300,000 euros in order to get a Premier Division license. For more info see here http://www.bohemians.ie/news/4-club-news/972-calling-all-fans-help-save-our-club.html

Could this be the end of one of Ireland's top clubs?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

link wrote:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site [link]

Operation Aborted

Bad Sign?:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dfx- wrote: »
    Bad Sign?:)
    Using internet explorer usually is, works fine on FF.

In other news, we're ****ed, don't give a crap about getting a premier division licence really, survivals all that matters

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Over the last few years they have had financial problems towards the end of the season and we hear how they have to win the league to survive. They win the league and then say they will be downscaling for the next season. Before this season they bought in Raf Cretaro, Gareth McGlynn, Ruaidhri Higgins and Mark Quigley. How is that downscaling? Im sure if they didnt bring in those players they would have a sizable chunk of that 300k they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Pauleta wrote: »
    Over the last few years they have had financial problems towards the end of the season and we hear how they have to win the league to survive. They win the league and then say they will be downscaling for the next season. Before this season they bought in Raf Cretaro, Gareth McGlynn, Ruaidhri Higgins and Mark Quigley. How is that downscaling? Im sure if they didnt bring in those players they would have a sizable chunk of that 300k they need.

You're definitely right. If they can manage to re-negotiate a deal for Dalymount they could find themselves in the money again. A city centre location is always going to be worth something and attract a property developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Wonder how much money they'll need from fans to stay in the top division the season after if they don't win!

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    Wonder how much money they'll need from fans to stay in the top division the season after if they don't win!

don't win what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're definitely right. If they can manage to re-negotiate a deal for Dalymount they could find themselves in the money again. A city centre location is always going to be worth something and attract a property developer.

Why would somebody punt money on Dalyer right now when they can sit back and wait for the shit to hit the fan and the liquidators to sift through the mess?

Finding it hard to be sympathetic after the stunts of the last two seasons (the Big Club shite; badgering the FAI re: Cork's wages, their frantic pursuit of the racism allegation until they regained top spot in the league again; the buying of SEVEN players this season and the near-scary obsessive vitriol about Rovers from their forum and fool.ie) but I wouldn't wish the death of the club on any fellow LOI supporters. That said, I'll be furious if they are in the PD next year.

stovelid wrote: »
    Why would somebody punt money on Dalyer right now when they can sit back and wait for the shit to hit the fan and the liquidators to sift through the mess?

Finding it hard to be sympathetic after the stunts of the last two seasons (the Big Club shite; badgering the FAI re: Cork's wages, their frantic pursuit of the racism allegation until they regained top spot in the league again; the buying of SEVEN players this season and the near-scary obsessive vitriol about Rovers from their forum and fool.ie) but I wouldn't wish the death of the club on any fellow LOI supporters. That said, I'll be furious if they are in the PD next year.

what put you in a bad mood...did someone just tell you santa isn't real:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

What makes me far less sympathetic to Bohemians' plight is the fact that they had the benefit of hindsight to ensure what happened to Shelbourne did not happen to them. Instead of taking heed from the goings on at Tolka Park, the boys from Dalyer willingly inherited Shelbourne's problems by signing plays like Jason Byrne, Owen Heary, Joseph Ndo, and Glen Crowe. No doubt said players were on similar wages to what they were on at Shels.

To fund the ever growing expenditure Bohs pinned their hopes on winning prizes and doing well in European competition. This speculation was seen at Tolka Park under the reign of Ollie Byrne (RIP). Bohs didnt need to replicate the Shelbourne experience, however, they chose to do so. They subsequently sought to preserve their position by seeking to have the FAI pay out prize money to them in advance. Their failings in the Champions League, Airtricity League, and Cup competitions in 2010 has highlighted just what a house of straw existed at Dalymount Park.

Their current plight has nothing to do with the average supporter of the club. It has all to do with financial mismanagement, for which the club are far more culpable then Shelbourne given the fact that Bohs began their spening binges in the wake of Shelbourne's demise. I wouldnt give a penny to Bohs. It is up to them to sort out the mess they made for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Would be better ditching Johnny Logan and getting Bob Geldof instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i hope they survive as it is not good to see another top side go the same route as Shels, Derry and Cork but they have only themselves to blame.shocking mismanagment of funds, just throwing money at player.

still though, i thought it was alot worse than 300k, i though they were alot more in debt or is this just the need this to meet the 65% requirments...

are any big clubs in alot of trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hello 1st Division for Bohs, if they are not there then the FAI have a lot to answer.

i hope they survive as it is not good to see another top side go the same route as Shels, Derry and Cork but they have only themselves to blame.shocking mismanagment of funds, just throwing money at player.

still though, i thought it was alot worse than 300k, i though they were alot more in debt or is this just the need this to meet the 65% requirments...

Debt is reported to be 4 to 5 million. 300,000 is just needed to get a premier division license, probably to pay off outstanding wages.

I hear Sporting Fingal are in trouble with their main backer under scrutiny from NAMA but let's not go off topic in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I personally hope they go bust. The more teams that suffer the full possible consequences the less likely teams will be to follow them into the Financial abyss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No we're at about 50% of scp.
    Hello 1st Division for Bohs, if they are not there then the FAI have a lot to answer.

There is a very good chance of us raising 300k.
    Celtic have had a offer of 70k for Madden accepted.
    Nutsy will probably go aswell for 80-100k. 150k raised there. + less wages+ fans donations+ membership drives+ Membership renewals(worth around 150k) so hopefully we'll be ok.
    Debt is reported to(1) be 4 to 5 million. (2)300,000 is just needed to get a premier division license, probably to pay off outstanding wages.

I hear Sporting Fingal are in trouble with their main backer under scrutiny from NAMA but let's not go off topic in this thread.

1. It's around 5 million yes.
    2. Correct. AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I personally hope they go bust. The more teams that suffer the full possible consequences the less likely teams will be to follow them into the Financial abyss.

Rovers fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BOHtox wrote: »
    Rovers fan?

I doubt he is a Rovers fan. Sligo have had their hardship over the past while and had to make a similar appeal.

I personally hope they go bust.
    Cheers, I'm sure you would appreciated that sentiment when Liverpool were in financial trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Het-Field wrote:

Their current plight has nothing to do with the average supporter of the club. It has all to do with financial mismanagement, for which the club are far more culpable then Shelbourne given the fact that Bohs began their spening binges in the wake of Shelbourne's demise. I wouldnt give a penny to Bohs. It is up to them to sort out the mess they made for themselves.

well it is when they are a member run club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bit harsh no? I don't follow the LOI but I'd hate to see any club go down the sh*tter, particularly for the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Very surprised to hear that coming from you Lloyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Viva la junkies, gonna shoot it up in the uefa cup europa league.....dammit

I'm inclining to agree with Lloyd. There should be little sympathy for club no4? 5? 6? who haven't learned the lesson.

Everyone knew this would happen long before now. The fans are not innocent, they even propped it up and continued it last season.

I'm inclining to agree with Lloyd. There should be little sympathy for club no4? 5? 6? who haven't learned the lesson.

Everyone knew this would happen long before now. The fans are not innocent.
    Nobodies looking for sympathy, being glad we go out of business is another thing altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm not going to wish the death of the club on the Bohs fans as we were in a similiar position last year but it's been obvious for a long time that Bohs were going to be fúcked eventually (particularily when they were trounced by TNS in the CL). I hope Bohs survive but i also hope they'll be joining us in the first division next season and with a more sensible approach to handling their finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think the financial prudence of clubs will be affected by whether or not they survive. Bohs' current predicament is enough to ward off sides following them into financial difficulties.

Bohs' current predicament is enough to ward off sides following them into financial difficulties.

Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne
    Dublin City
    Cork City FCCCFCFFCC For A Scoop
    Derry City
    Kildare County
    Kilkenny City

In no particluar order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bohs' current predicament is enough to ward off sides following them into financial difficulties.
    They didn't learn after Shels, Dublin City, Cork; not to mention the smaller scale troubles other clubs have faced.

The FAI need to do thorough audits themselves, not rely on the clubs to send in the accounts. They also need to punish the clubs fiercely. Even then, I doubt LOI clubs will ever learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Although i don't like to see any club in trouble, i've no sympathy for Bohs. They've basically been cheating the last few seasons.

The fans were aware of it but revelled in it all the same. Chanting game after game about how 'we are invincible'.

Turns out, they're not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

They didn't learn after Shels, Dublin City, Cork; not to mention the smaller scale troubles other clubs have faced.

The FAI need to do thorough audits themselves, not rely on the clubs to send in the accounts. They also need to punish the clubs fiercely. Even then, I doubt LOI clubs will ever learn.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne
    Dublin City
    Derry City
    Kildare County
    Kilkenny City

In no particluar order.

Fair enough, excuse my ignorance, I was talking out of my arse.

Based on that evidence, even if Bohs were to go bust (Lloyd's initial point), it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think they have spent incorrectly for a few years and time has finally caught up with them. A trip to Div 1 will do them no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Why should Bohs get help when the FAI absolutely fcuked over the likes of Kildare Town. Oh that's right nobody gives a shíte about the small guy. Absolute shambles.

I bet Bohs will swift along as if nothing happened. Disgraceful stuff.

A sham of a league.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think they have spent incorrectly for a few years and time has finally caught up with them. A trip to Div 1 will do them no harm.

Them and Fingal please.

NEVER RELEGATED :D

Still wouldn't wish for the demise of the club - only demotion and punishment. Not because of the big city rivals thing particularly as I think other clubs will eventually step into the vacuum. Our regeneration has coincided with (or because given) a shot in the arm to the rivalry with Sligo and especially Pats As it will no doubt with Shels when they come up. I just wouldn't wish the death of a club on other LOI supporters, even Bohs, to be honest

Still wouldn't wish for the demise of the club - only demotion and punishment. Not because of the big city rivals thing particularly as I think other clubs will eventually step into the vacuum. Our regeneration has coincided with (or because given) a shot in the arm to the rivalry with Sligo and especially Pats As it will no doubt with Shels when they come up. I just wouldn't wish the death of a club on other LOI supporters, even Bohs, to be honest

Noone will really wish the death on them but we will giggle no point in giggling if theres noone to giggle at.

• Advertisement

Noone will really wish the death on them but we will giggle no point in giggling if theres noone to giggle at.

I'm giggling. Believe me, I'm giggling. :pac:

I'm giggling. Believe me, I'm giggling. :pac:

Me too but i have got to giggle at all of you now :)

**** the title giggling is where its at :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Thing is lads and we all know this deep down. Bohs will face absolutely no punishment or relegation from teh FAI. They will truck on, getting deeper and deeper into the sh!t without batting a eye lid and the FAI will look the other way.

Bohs deserve everything they get for their shambles of an effort at spending way beyond their means, selling the ground multiple times and drawing down loans on the wonderful asset etc...

I don't wish them to go out of business for the exact reasons that stovelid has outlined however they need a foot rammed up their ass and be sent packing to the 1st. The day that happens though I will come back here and personally hold my hand up and say I got it totally wrong.

iregk wrote: »
    Thing is lads and we all know this deep down. Bohs will face absolutely no punishment or relegation from teh FAI. They will truck on, getting deeper and deeper into the sh!t without batting a eye lid and the FAI will look the other way.

We all know they wont still tho sucks to be them.

We cutting our cloth more this season some ever presents behind the scenes let go :( Michaels is drifting further and further into Eircom Park territory :(

Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne
    Dublin City
    Derry City
    Kildare County
    Kilkenny City

In no particluar order.

And Drogs

You could add full-time bringing problems to Galway and Sligo and Harps suffering from giving their manager €1m to spend a couple of years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

And Drogs

You could add full-time bringing problems to Galway and Sligo and Harps suffering from giving their manager €1m to spend a couple of years ago

We did that too with Tony 'The Spoofer' Cousins. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I definitely think Sligo will be the challengers to Shams over the next couple of seasons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'd like to meet Liam Carroll for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I doubt we will even get a premier license i just hope we can survive!!! even if we manage to get the 300k we still owe another 400k by the end of the year.its looking bleak very bleak and i just hope we pull through!!.

people have every right to critise bohs and the way the club carried on but i find it very hard to take in that some people would love to see the extinction of one of the oldest most traditionalist football team on this island:confused: quite sad!!!

BTID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The situation at Bohs angers me so much when at Galway we have to give a budget based on hugely pessimistic projections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

major bill wrote: »
    I doubt we will even get a premier license i just hope we can survive!!! even if we manage to get the 300k we still owe another 400k by the end of the year.its looking bleak very bleak and i just hope we pull through!!.

people have every right to critise bohs and the way the club carried on but i find it very hard to take in that some people would love to see the extinction of one of the oldest most traditionalist football team on this island:confused: quite sad!!!

BTID

I would love to see them go bust

monkey9 wrote: »
    Chanting game after game about how 'we are invincible'.
    Hasn't been chanted in the last two seasons from what I remember
    Le King wrote: »
    Why should Bohs get help when the FAI absolutely fcuked over the likes of Kildare Town. Oh that's right nobody gives a shíte about the small guy. Absolute shambles.

I bet Bohs will swift along as if nothing happened. Disgraceful stuff.

A sham of a league.
    Judging the league on a decision it hasn't made yet, hmm :rolleyes:
    iregk wrote: »

Bohs deserve everything they get for their shambles of an effort at spending way beyond their means, selling the ground multiple times and drawing down loans on the wonderful asset etc...

I don't wish them to go out of business for the exact reasons that stovelid has outlined however they need a foot rammed up their ass and be sent packing to the 1st. The day that happens though I will come back here and personally hold my hand up and say I got it totally wrong.
    I agree as a Bohs fan completely (regarding what we deserve)
    Why?

I'll be delighted to go into next season in the first division or whatever, once we have a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

why??

id hate to see any team go bust, when shamrock rovers got relegated and were on deaths door i was actually kinda gutted that bohs might never get to play them again thankfully we got them in the cup (although was a bad result) and was glad they came straight back up.

if your a football fan then you shouldnt be hoping for a team that has over a hundred years of history and tradition to go bust!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nobodies looking for sympathy, being glad we go out of business is another thing altogether
    Bohs sang songs about rows of houses and carparks on Milltown, cheered and celebrated our homelessness, displayed banners supporting Thomas Davis in the court case to keep us out of Tallaght, ignored the pickets on Tolka (deliberately turning up in numbers to keep the Kilcoynes going), and have attacked and denigrated our fans efforts to rescue and run the club at every turn. Shels got the same treatment. Its silly not to expect people to reciprocate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Boha can bite the back of my bollocks tbh. They are a single micricosm of what is going on in this country. They had unrealsistc ambitions, borrowed too much and fúcked up.

I hope they get demoted and rot in the 1st division with CCFC and Shels for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement