Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well i think anyone sensible would design the installation to avoid feeding the same switch group from different DB`s.
    When a 9-gang (for example) switch is used top and bottom of a stairs, and must incorporate 2-way for the stairwell lighting. Upstairs lighting fed form one board, downstairs from another. Of course, seperate switch for the stairwell lighting would solve this, but may not favourable, and is it required if the labelling is right?
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    How is it a nuisance to get 2 way switching right. Electrical work itself can be a nuisance anyway.
    I meant where 2-way switching is present in a daisy chain fashion at multi gang switches.
    All the electrician making off the connections at the board will have is circuit numbers, and no idea of which circuit is tied to a switch with multiple circuits at it.
    I'm only saying some tinkering is often required to ensure different phases don't arrive at the same switch, especially in a large industrial area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'd have multiple circuits in commercial/industrial gridswitches alright

here you can generally expect a 'competent person' or sparkie to be doing the maintenance

-not always the case for domestic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cast_iron wrote: »
    When a 9-gang (for example) switch is used top and bottom of a stairs, and must incorporate 2-way for the stairwell lighting. Upstairs lighting fed form one board, downstairs from another. Of course, seperate switch for the stairwell lighting would solve this, but may not favourable, and is it required if the labelling is right?
    Possibly, but it usually is just seperate switches for the stairs themselves so its easy to know what switches are for the stairs. Im not sure of the requirements there, but it would not seem to much difficulty with seperate single switches for stairwells.

I meant where 2-way switching is present in a daisy chain fashion at multi gang switches.
    All the electrician making off the connections at the board will have is circuit numbers, and no idea of which circuit is tied to a switch with multiple circuits at it.
    I'm only saying some tinkering is often required to ensure different phases don't arrive at the same switch, especially in a large industrial area.
    That was my question before, is the different phases allowed at one multi switch, i certainly seen it done. But its not needed, use contactor control lighting particularly in large industrial areas, and thats the end of that problem

Ye never know what ye might see in these jobs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

not sure on the different phases

'warning stickers' are sometimes used where there's a higher voltage present

Advertisement