Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android or Windows 7?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I have an upgrade with O2. I'm looking at either the HTC HD7 or an Android phone. What should I get? Is the HTC Desire any good? Is that the best Android phone on the market at the moment? I had a go of the HD7 Windows phone in The Carphone Warehouse last nite and I loved it but I've been told that Android is better. I currently have a 3GS but don't want an iPhone 4 (not much of an upgrade really).

Are there any new phones that haven't been released yet that I should maybe wait for?

I use my phone to run an eBay store so email functionality is really important to me. How is email on an android device? Is Gmail an app you have to download or is it embedded into the phone like on the iPhone and HD7? I don't want to be having to open an app everytime I need to check my mail.

I saw that Vodafone have he HTC Desire HD. Is this a lot better than the Desire and if so will it or an equivilent be coming to O2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

If it's Gmail you use I'd go for Android, Gmail is integrated, all of your contacts and accounts will sync automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gmail on Android is push-mail so you receive it pretty much immediately just like sms messsages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Well being a bit of a Microsoft fanboy I'm admittedly biased, but I've been using the HD7 for the last 3 weeks and it is marvellous. Everything just works, and it works really well. The design of practically everything with this OS is spot on, in that you instinctively know how to use it the minute you pick it up.

Compared to Android, it's missing some features (no major dealbreakers IMO) that will eventually appear in updates in the next few months, and the Marketplace is smaller right now (although there are some great apps there; the facebook and twitter apps are arguably the best of any platform).

I was messing around with an android phone for a few days before I got my HD7 and was surprised to be underwhelmed by the whole experience; there was very little consistency in terms of interface and approach between different apps, and the homescreen itself, even with launcher pro, wasn't great.

All in all, I would say that if you like the HD7 after playing with it for a few minutes then you won't go far wrong. Messaging (both email and SMS) is very well presented. And WP7 can only get better as a platform right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm gonna go to a store again tonite to check everything out. I could get the phone tonite but I'm not gonna rush it. In terms of the Android phones, what is the best at the mo? If O2 won't be selling the Desire HD and it is the best Android device I may move to Vodafone. It's a company phone and most of the others moved to Vodafone 2 weeks ago. I was asked but I said I'd have a look first. What Android device should I go for?

In terms of the HD7, I know what you mean when you say it's easy to use from the get go. That's what I found last nite. Really not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

If your going on Vodafone have a look at the desire hd same size as the hd7. I got mine last week and haven't put it down since. Email works fine I have a couple of accounts set up on it and they all come through like texts straight to the phone and then open up fully. Have a look on techradar at their wish list of features for win7 mobile. Seems that win is missing a few things the desire hd has already like flash on web sites.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/windows-phone-8-20-things-we-want-to-see-907134

• Advertisement

@KXiii,

Cheers for the link. After looking at some reviews, it's definitely between the Desire HD and HD7. Just gotta make up my mind now. Is there much lag on the Desire HD ie scrolling, pinch to zoom etc? There's absolutely none on the HD7 as far as I can see.

I haven't found it slow or laggy in the least loads up heavy pages like ign or gamesradar with no issues. Pinch zoom and auto text formatting work brilliantly. The oh has a wildfire and using that now feels sooo slow compared to the hd.
    I was thinking of getting a netbook a while ago but no need now. Plus the phone comes with open office which is kinda handy.

Went into Carphone Warehouse last nite to have a look. They didn't have the Desire HD but I had a go of the Desire. Really impressed. I especially liked the way one of the home screens could be your email, when I scrolled left, all my mail was there. I figure if I like the Desire, I'm gonna love the Desire HD. Had another go of the HD7. It is really intuitive as well but something is telling me to wait till 2011 to get a Windows device - better devices, software updates ie copy & paste etc etc.

After that I went across to Vodafone to check out the Desire HD. None on display (sold out) and none behind the counter to have a go of. I asked the rep but to be honest, she was pretty stupid. The only difference she could tell me between the Desire and the Desire HD was that one had HD. Really annoying. I hate that. I really don't know how phone stores nowadays do not have working handsets on display. How can you make up your mind based on a dummy phone! I know 99% of people buying phones have no idea what the are looking for and will prob only use them for txting and light Facebook but it's bull!

Anyways, need to find a Desire HD to have a look at. Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that has a working model on display?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For Apps and features the Android phones are way ahead of the Win7 and while Win7 should get them in time (Im amazed it launched without so much tbh) do you need them now or are you happy to wait and maybe get them?

The HTC Sense OS is fantastic and so easy to customise to your needs that Im left feeling sorry for my mates when I play with their phones :)

Anywhere in Dublin that has a working demo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

tbh you wont be disappointed with any choice.

Desire HD. Even better than the Normal Desire just because of the New Sense and improved GPU and processor efficiency leading to better battery life

Windows Phone. As far as i read has very good battery life since its not packed full of ****. I suppose at this stage you know whats its like so gonna spare the intros

But one main advantage of Windows Phone 7 is its a new OS and has tons of space to improve. Where as iOS and Android are mature at this stage and quite slow to imply innovations. Where windows 7 will be improving constantly and bringing new cards to the tablet during 2011

One thing that drives it most is the xbox live platform on it. They have provided best dev tools out there for creating games and apps. But as Microsoft said "dont publish apps in a rush, take your time making a decent effort" so time will tell

Does Android support copy & paste?

Froyo on the hd does not sure about other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

shuffles03 wrote: »

2.2 does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yes, I've used it on 1.5 & 2.1 stock Android

recent version of android do.
    windows phone wont support it till the next update :)

Half the company I work for is on Vodafone and half is on O2. I have a diamond upgrade with O2 so I can get any phone for free but if I switch to vodafone to get the Desire HD I'll have to pay full price for the phone! So annoying!! I wish O2 sold the Desire HD. Now it looks like I'll have to stay with O2. There's no point in paying for a phone when I can get one for free. I guess I'll have to settle for the HD7 or normal Desire! Pretty pee'd off!

Half the company I work for is on Vodafone and half is on O2. I have a diamond upgrade with O2 so I can get any phone for free but if I switch to vodafone to get the Desire HD I'll have to pay full price for the phone! So annoying!! I wish O2 sold the Desire HD. Now it looks like I'll have to stay with O2. There's no point in paying for a phone when I can get one for free. I guess I'll have to settle for the HD7 or normal Desire! Pretty pee'd off!

Bitching about having to take a FREE HTC Desire!

You sure have a hard life dude :rolleyes:

Suppose I deserve that! It's just, everyone keeps telling me that the Desire HD is miles better than the Desire so that's why I wanted to get it. I've also been told not to get the HD7. Way wud u pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It always has.They made sure to have it in from the start since at that time the iphone still didnt have it :pac:
    Suppose I deserve that! It's just, everyone keeps telling me that the Desire HD is miles better than the Desire so that's why I wanted to get it. I've also been told not to get the HD7. Way wud u pick?
    TBH it isnt miles better.Slightly bigger screen but still the same resolution, Standard LCD instread of Super LCD.8 instead of 5mp camera and dual instead of single flash.Smaller batter but the power management from the newer GPU and Processor should make up for it. And the updated Sense will be coming to the Desire considering its userbase

The Desire more then holds its own against it and the Dev community behind it is already much more established if youre looking to tinker with it.

As for Win phone7, id hold off getting one for a while until it matures a bit. Still early days to see how it does.

• Advertisement

I paid 300ish quid for for my Desire and would have no issue doing so again. Iv not really looked into the DesireHD for the simple reason the standard Desire is just that good and the main selling points of the HD being the front facing camera and bigger screen just aint enough to justify an upgrade.

Are having a bigger screen and video calling (which no one will really use) worth the extra cost to you? Also like Ultimate Chin said above Win7 could be the best of the best in time but its not right now and now is when you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Venom wrote: »
    I paid 300ish quid for for my Desire and would have no issue doing so again. Iv not really looked into the DesireHD for the simple reason the standard Desire is just that good and the main selling points of the HD being the front facing camera and bigger screen just aint enough to justify an upgrade.

Are having a bigger screen and video calling (which no one will really use) worth the extra cost to you? Also like Ultimate Chin said above Win7 could be the best of the best in time but its not right now and now is when you are buying.

You sure the HD has a front facing camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Desire HD isn't definitively better than the original Desire, and that's coming from someone who has the HD.

This post has been deleted.

Think I was mixing that feature up with the Evo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Venom wrote: »
    Also like Ultimate Chin said above Win7 could be the best of the best in time but its not right now and now is when you are buying.
    Ah now I never said that.
    The little green guy will always bitchslap WinPh7 IMO ;)

Ah now I never said that.
    The little green guy will always bitchslap WinPh7 IMO ;)

Well I ment the bit about holding off on WinPH7 until it matures into a valid modern phone OS.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Desire HD isn't definitively better than the original Desire, and that's coming from someone who has the HD.

Well the new sense is just worth it. Im using that and its brilliant. Also on the HD battery life has been improved dramatically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Got the HD7 and I am thrilled with it. Admittidly I'm not a fan of andriod put coming from an iPhone to a HD7 I'm impressed.

• Advertisement

Well lets hope MS keeps strict on marketplace rules. Strong rules against piracy will always attract developers. Also to keep the quality of the games high

Advertisement