Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who does my dog climb up on the kitchen table and have a wee?

• 12-11-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Any dog psychologists out there?

He's a 5 year old mongrel who lived on a farm for his first year and was never house trained and he still wees around the kitchen but recently if he spots a chance of getting up on table, he'll climb up and cok his leg!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Coz he can lol.

I notice that sometimes my collie will pee on or near her food bowl once she's finished, someone else might be able to explain why.
    One option would be to start basic training all over again like you would with a young puppy, classes might be an idea they can help with the toilet issues using a humane trainer only.
    Is he neutered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah, he's neutered alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Living on the farm was he ever allowed into the house? He might have had run of the farm (or to a certain extent a large yard) and allowed piddle wherever he thought was a good toilet spot. Therefore he's never been told where NOT to pee. The minute he looks like he's thinking of peeing, open the back door tell him to go out and piddle, and when he does praise him to hell and back again at how good he is. He'll soon learn his toilet is outside and not inside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Living on the farm was he ever allowed into the house? He might have had run of the farm (or to a certain extent a large yard) and allowed piddle wherever he thought was a good toilet spot. Therefore he's never been told where NOT to pee. The minute he looks like he's thinking of peeing, open the back door tell him to go out and piddle, and when he does praise him to hell and back again at how good he is. He'll soon learn his toilet is outside and not inside :)

yeah, he was an 'outside' dog for the first year of his life. To the best of my knowledge him and the other couple of dogs on the farm had a kennel in the barn and while he may have gotten into the house occasionally, it was never unattended and I'd say he never got past the kitchen.

I think he's still marking his territory when he wees in the kitchen as most of he time he goes either up against the washing machine or against the same leg of the table. Sometimes he goes after he's come in for a walk after he's had a wee against every tree in the village so it's not like he's bursting so there's no wandering around and looking anxious first. He just cocks the leg and goes! But going on the table is a new thing. It's only happened a couple of times but now we have to make sure the chairs are kept tight in under the table whenever he's around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mrjacko

in the last 3 weeks my male pug is peeing on the kitchen table too !! he was neutered earlier in the summer, he is 2 years old and house trained !! he does it when hes in the kitchen on his own, why would he only start to do this now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm just wondering if there is some connection between this and the weather :confused:, as in dog doesn't want to go outside because it's too cold/wet. Since the table is not usually a place they have access to they don't see it as soiling their territory, which is the floor. I have no clue really and I'm just making this up. My dog doesn't mind the cold but is very choosey about where she urinates when the ground is wet, I think because she doesn't want to stand in her pee so won't go anywhere there is water lying either because it might mingle with the urine or is unable to differentiate between wet ground and wet urine, it seems she just knows it's all wet and doesn't want to risk standing in it by accident :rolleyes:

Advertisement