Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleansing palate?

• 12-11-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Im not sure whether this a relevant question but tonight ive bought a few different beers as i often do , but it just occurred to me for the first time that maybe after drinking one beer the next beers taste may be affected by the previous one.
    Does anyone know whether this can happen or am i talking bs?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well if you drink a seriously hoppy beer/ale the next beer will usually feel much less hoppy in comparison, and you might miss other aspects of the flavour so yeah I think it happens. I'm sure there are numerous examples but this is the most obvious one to me atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Took this from beer advocate...
    "Cleanse the Palate: It’s highly recommended that you have some water as well as bread, crackers and even popcorn on hand to cleanse the palate between beers and to help stave off inebriation. Avoid salty foods or anything that could overpower the senses – you want to clean the palate, not destroy it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

ciaran76 wrote: »
    "Cleanse the Palate: It’s highly recommended that you have some water as well as bread, crackers and even popcorn on hand to cleanse the palate between beers and to help stave off inebriation. Avoid salty foods or anything that could overpower the senses – you want to clean the palate, not destroy it"
    Thankfully i stick to one beer at a party.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you're trying several different beers it's a good idea to put them in drinking order: leave the stronger and hoppier ones towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

+1 on the above. Not sure if it applies to beer but you can also eat dark chocolate 70% cocoa and above or black coffee too to clear previous tastes and then water to cleanse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Its a very good question the op raises,
    In wine circles theres various books and online articles written about tasting etiqute but Ive never seen a pamphelep called the irishmans guide to world beer tasting!

maybe a small stickie for beer wine and spirits could be made for newcomers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bread, crackers
    I have seen coffee judges use these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you're trying several different beers it's a good idea to put them in drinking order: leave the stronger and hoppier ones towards the end.

Excuse me for my ignorance but when you say hoppy beer do you mean more bitter tasting beers?
    I often hear people say that theres a strong taste of hops from a certain beer but im never sure which flavor there talking about . I alway thought that the more bitter beers were more hoppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, hops are used to bitter beers and are also used for aroma, depending on the variety and/or when in the process they are used.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Excuse me for my ignorance but when you say hoppy beer do you mean more bitter tasting beers?
    Pretty much, yes. The acids in hops that cause bitterness are the ones that will affect your ability to taste other beers. Hop flavours, as thebeerrevolu says depending on variety, are usually a citric orange or grapefruit sort of taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Pine nuts

Advertisement