Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable choice

Options
  • 12-11-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have to put in an extra socket in a kitchen - am taking a feed from a socket under the cupboards and going to chase up 4 inches to behind the cupbaords. Now i would normally usually use 2.5T&E and put it in some conduit - however is it allowed to just use NYMJ without conduit and plaster directly over this - the chase in wall will only be about 4 inches - its a relatively new kitchen so want to create as little disturbance as possible. I know if you plaster directly over 2.5 it will rot over a few years - will the same happen with NYMJ

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nothing wrong with NYMJ, but it is a bit bulky!

To answer you question you should never plaster directly onto a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Can you plaster directly over nymj without conduit or will it rot over time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is not recommended or permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No its a real cowboy job to just plaster a cable straight into the chase. Make the chase deep enough and put in oval or round plastic conduit. It is easier with twin and earth as its a lot more compact than nymj and a smaller conduit will do that then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you will get a 2.5 nym into a piece of 16mm oval wavin, but only if its a short run. this will leave the profile low and protect the cable. if you have to do a loop, ie a feed in and out of the socket then a 22.5 mm conduit will do.

Advertisement