Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with a tummy bug?

• 12-11-2010 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,
    Hoping you can help me. My dog, 7 months old, got sick last night & has been very quiet in herself since. She got sick once but hasn't shown any interest in food all day except for eating a small bowl of dry nuts about an hour ago. She's drinking water but not as much as usual but I'm putting this down to the fact that she's less active today so is drinking less. She just doesn't seem herself at the moment & she has been resting a lot today which she never does.

Is it possible for dogs to pick up tummy bugs from other dogs?

If she's still the same in the morning I'm going to take her into the vet for a check up but I was just wondering about the tummy bug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Your best bet is probably to visit the vet. My dog suffered from some sort of tummy bug in September and visited the vet twice in 4 days, he was vomitimg, had diarrohea, drinking alot, passing blood and not his usual self. He gave him 3 injections and a course of antibiotics each time, and it took him about 2 weeks to get over it. We got special tinned food from the vet called 'Hills i/d' which is specifically for gastro infections and he actually loved it!

Unfortunately the past week he started the vomiting etc again and the vet decided to take a blood sample on Tuesday night so we are just waiting to hear now. Hopefully it is just some sort of bug he is having trouble shaking seeing as he is 12.

Best of luck and hopefully your dog will be back to herself in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

beanie2010 wrote: »

Is it possible for dogs to pick up tummy bugs from other dogs?

If she's still the same in the morning I'm going to take her into the vet for a check up but I was just wondering about the tummy bug.

Yep - they pick them up from each other, from the grass (and owners not picking up poo :mad:), from eating random stuff... it's just one of those things. Vet trip is definately the best option if she still isn't well this morning. They are usually minor and need a few days of special food, some antibiotics and rest.

Just a side note - are you sure she hasn't swallowed anything she shouldn't? If she could have, mention it to the vet to rule out a blockage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 beanie2010

Sorry but I forgot to give ye an update on my dog. She was fine the next morning. Wolfed down her breakfast, went for a walk & was in much better spirits.
    I checked her poo for blood but thankfully there was none.
    I'd say she just was out of sorts for the night. We both walk with a friend of mine & her dog so I'd say this is where she picked it up. My friends dog had the same complaints two days before.
    I rang my vet around lunch time the next day & told the vet nurse what happend. She wan't overly concerned but the vet on call was doing an operation so she said she would say it to him & ring me back just to put my mind at ease.
    So when she rang back she told me everything seemed to be fine, that they had a few calls from other clients saying the same but if I was very worried I could call in with the hound & have her looked over.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, sometimes I panic :o

Glad to hear it! We worry about our pals alot sometimes, but they are worth it! We found out on Saturday that our beloved Golden Cocker actually has liver cancer:( (thought it was a gastro problem). We were back with the vet last night to sort out a suitable diet as it is not treatable so all we can do is let him enjoy what little time he may have left and spoil him! Our only comfort is that the vet said he wont be in any pain at any point as his illness gets worse. So hopefully he will be here to enjoy his last Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

glad to hear that beanie2010.

carleigh i am so sorry to hear bout your doggie, spoil him rotten and make the most of the time ye have left together.

• Advertisement

Thanks tazwaz. My dog is in surprisingly good form despite his illness. The vet said to let him enjoy his runs in the woods and walks as long as he is able and willing to do so. But he has steered us towards prescription dog food starting today (which he has turned his nose up at!) so we have to restrict his treats, which will be tough as we dont want to deprive him. I'm sure we will come to a happy medium. Everyone who knows Jake is very upset at the bad news as he is very loved by both family and friends, so you can be sure there will be a few extra presents under the tree this year if he is still here, fingers crossed!

He is a pic taken of him last week after he got his bloods taken at the vet, not a bother on him!

126.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 beanie2010

carleigh wrote: »
    Thanks tazwaz. My dog is in surprisingly good form despite his illness. The vet said to let him enjoy his runs in the woods and walks as long as he is able and willing to do so. But he has steered us towards prescription dog food starting today (which he has turned his nose up at!) so we have to restrict his treats, which will be tough as we dont want to deprive him. I'm sure we will come to a happy medium. Everyone who knows Jake is very upset at the bad news as he is very loved by both family and friends, so you can be sure there will be a few extra presents under the tree this year if he is still here, fingers crossed!

He is a pic taken of him last week after he got his bloods taken at the vet, not a bother on him!

126.JPG

Oh my God, that's terrible. The poor little pet. It's a gorgeous pic of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

I've had Labs for years, given the fact that they will eat anything they get tummy upsets, usually spectacular tummy upsets (will spare people details). Vet told me the main reason he sees Labs ever are tummy upsets and sore ears. I keep an eye on their ears, for the tummy upsets the best thing (in Labs) is not to feed them for a day giving them some water with Dioralyte in it as per general instructions and having fresh water available. Then next day something easy to digest, I use cans of Creamed rice, see how that goes, if still sick take to vet. That was the advice from vet and has served me well in the years.

Advertisement