Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublins Best Buskers

Options
  • 12-11-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Valadmir Jablokov is the volinists name, was on Ian Dempsey last week covering a Bowie song and he played the Spirit Store in Dundalk last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i really like el hombre jokes, they are three guys, usually at the top of grafton street, opposite the green centre, as much as i hate the word i will describe them as "funky" and they're fun..

mutefish were great but i don't know where they've gone now.

that standing still while walking guy annoys me, i would like if he had a couple of different.
    not a fan of the guy that stands outside marks on grafton street and dances david bowie style with the glass ball.

the guys who manipulates the pigeons to stand on hid head/hands is kind of cool... in general though i don't like the standy stilly people...

there are so many, a few random kids that i keep seeing with guitars doing very average covers, one girl who has a mic and a friend with a mini keyboard who gets good crowd but i wonder if it's because she's loud...

gone are the days where the wee dirty faced boys would sing their hearts out for a few pence....wonder where they are now..

i have a mate who busks on grafton street, he is a great singer and works hard...on a good day in the summer he could take in €100-200..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Scien wrote: »
    Nope wrong guy... I recognize that lad from Grafton St. who usually has a small quartet with him. The lad I'm on about is usually across from Debenhams on Henry St... He plays Metallica, The Eagles etc

l_5515ede8d0af485684dbc08bd95d268b.jpg

This is the guy. From what I can gather he must have split with the band as I've not seen them together in ages. It seems to be just the violinst on his own these days which is a shame as they were really good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/4778204711/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Mutefish were great. They just recorded a new album and played the Button Factory.

I like keywest, they used to play shop street in Galway and the odd time in Dublin too. They also just recorded a CD so we might hear more of them hopefully. They did a lot of coversong but really made it their own.

The Guy there with the Violion is good, pitty he always plays the same songs tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I like the loud band outside M&S Grafton street, also the orchestra, they're usually opposite. And the girl with the classical voice, she's usually outside Brown Thomas as well. The puppet guy is good but I'm sick of him, also sick of the 'frozen' guy and I practically run to get away from the voice of Dave McSavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The native American-style panpipe and drums group usually get a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The native American-style panpipe and drums group usually get a good crowd.

There's an aul fella who plays the spoons around ha'penny every now and then who I always give a bit of change too. At least he's doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well this was original, must have been freezing in their bare feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I generally hate buskers (in Dublin or elsewhere, actually especially on the London underground) but I have enjoyed watching/listening to The Super Fantastic Adventures Of Captain Magic In His Amazing Wonderland whenever I have caught them on Grafton St (I even picked up their demo). They could be calling themselves simply Captain Magic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I like that guy that plays electric guitar outside penny's on Henry street. Its best when there are not many people about and his guitar rifts echo :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This is the guy. From what I can gather he must have split with the band as I've not seen them together in ages. It seems to be just the violinst on his own these days which is a shame as they were really good.

Think he;s back with'm...or another bunch. This was taken early on in the year...

BAA256D88BA04ACBBD9E99D6A3358507-500.jpg

He's a bit showboaty for me.

I like listening to Gerry Cowen playing banjo on Dun Laoghaire peer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

This guy is by far my favourite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The best busker doesn't play anymore. He was a guy with an original "key-tar" a keypad attached to his accoustic guitar that plucked the strings for him. Played some of the best blues I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

This guy is by far my favourite :)

Delighted somebody posted this up. That guy is brilliant! One of the reasons I would go to grafton street of a saturday.

Back in september there was 3 lads busking outside. Only one of them was singing do but this chap could sing! He was brilliant, big lump of a fella.

Some really talented people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

dubbie82 wrote: »
    Mutefish were great. They just recorded a new album and played the Button Factory.

I like keywest, they used to play shop street in Galway and the odd time in Dublin too. They also just recorded a CD so we might hear more of them hopefully. They did a lot of coversong but really made it their own.

The Guy there with the Violion is good, pitty he always plays the same songs tho.
    My mate eamo is the drummer in keywest :)

Anyways, I like that guy who would usually be outside Dunnes on Henry St playing electric guitar. I always throw him a few coins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The best busker doesn't play anymore. He was a guy with an original "key-tar" a keypad attached to his accoustic guitar that plucked the strings for him. Played some of the best blues I've ever heard.

His name was Rocky. Havent seen him on the street in many years sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I have a major problem with the really loud band that plays outside M&S on Grafton St.

They are actually a good band and play music I like but they take up half the street in that nobody else can play down that end.

Grossly unfair and reduces the variety that makes busking an interesting part of the Grafton St experience.

Sorry, just realised this is an oldish thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't know if they're busking as much these days, but Rick O'Shea & The Stray Bullets put on a great show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

least favourite is that eejit with the long ginger hair at the top of grafton street, near the obriens sandwich shop. Doesn't play tunes, just makes a racket with a sullen look on his face.

Miserable & shyte !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Anyone seen the statue guy on Grafton St that looks like he's stuck in wind?
    Really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Does anyone know where i could listen to that old guy that used to use the guitar with the keys.. that played the blues.. he was unreal.. he used to sell tapes if anyone had any recordings they should get them up to youtube.. so does anyone know his name or anything about him??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Seen a guy a couple of times in Temple bar and recently in Grafton, plays a home made gas can guitar, wicked sound from it, plays very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Valadmir Jablokov is the volinists name, was on Ian Dempsey last week covering a Bowie song and he played the Spirit Store in Dundalk last night.
    He's a total legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Ryan Sheridan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cla6_rMSpBA&feature=related

has come a long way since busking

Advertisement