Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!!!

• 12-11-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey im a new poster to this :)
    Basically I need peoples advice. Im aiming for 475 in my leaving cert. I feel like I will never achieve that. Im in honours everything except Maths. I got 2 A's (english and geography) and 8 B's in my junior cert in all honour subjects without overdoing study.

But I did TY and did very little work and coasted throough 5th year only doing homework. I became far more interested in sport and i seemed to lose motivation for studying for tests. I averaged C's in my summer exams and failed higher level maths :(

This year i have knuckled down more though. Im in all honours except maths. I have started to do afterschool study from 4-6 where i get my homework done and then plan to do study for 2.5 hours. I did it for my pre mock tests and did ok..averaging B's. Im wondering if I will get the points though!!

I was thinking if I study for 2.5 hours a night after homework : 30-60 mins on Irish and the remainder on a roation of Biology,Business,Geography and then a bit of study for all subjects at the weekend???? Is that enough? I have to seriously catch up on last years work especially Irish and Biology. What are your views? Il be glad to hear your advice??

I have one more issue though. Im on the county minor panel and trainig begins in January. I will have to train 2 nights a week and I will miss out on over 2 hours study for them days. Is it still possible for me to get the points?? I find Irish really hard and time consuming.

Thanks in advance, Concerned Student

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Hey im a new poster to this :)
    Basically I need peoples advice. Im aiming for 475 in my leaving cert. I feel like I will never achieve that. Im in honours everything except Maths. I got 2 A's (english and geography) and 8 B's in my junior cert in all honour subjects without overdoing study.

But I did TY and did very little work and coasted throough 5th year only doing homework. I became far more interested in sport and i seemed to lose motivation for studying for tests. I averaged C's in my summer exams and failed higher level maths :(

This year i have knuckled down more though. Im in all honours except maths. I have started to do afterschool study from 4-6 where i get my homework done and then plan to do study for 2.5 hours. I did it for my pre mock tests and did ok..averaging B's. Im wondering if I will get the points though!!

I was thinking if I study for 2.5 hours a night after homework : 30-60 mins on Irish and the remainder on a roation of Biology,Business,Geography and then a bit of study for all subjects at the weekend???? Is that enough? I have to seriously catch up on last years work especially Irish and Biology. What are your views? Il be glad to hear your advice??

I have one more issue though. Im on the county minor panel and trainig begins in January. I will have to train 2 nights a week and I will miss out on over 2 hours study for them days. Is it still possible for me to get the points?? I find Irish really hard and time consuming.

Thanks in advance, Concerned Student

Hi : ) I did my LC this year and got 475. I was in a similar situation to this. Firstly the JC really doesn't matter at this point and isn't much of a guideline to how you will do in the LC. My grades completley changed!

I did Pass Irish and the rest Honours, I just found Irish to be way too time consuming and prefered Maths. I also didn't do much work in TY and got really interested in dancing at the start of 5th year. I did 3 hours during the week and 4\5 + at the weekends.

It's good to get some excercise in during the week, to get a break from all of the work. It's definitely beneficial!

It doesn't matter how many hours you put in, it's how much work gets done in those hours. I found it really helpful to write down what I needed to know in each subject and cross it off when I knew it. Then I knew what I had to cover the next time I looked at a certain subject.

It's definitely possible to get the points, best of luck with it and don't burn yourself out to soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rockshandy90

I would definitely agree with the don't burn urself out too soon comment, i've heard of people who freak out at the beginning of 6th year and try do so much and end up having a melt down by the pre's then can't do any more work and don't do as well as they cud!

I got similar results in my JC and got more points than ur looking for in the LC with a bit less study than u plan on doing, but i wudn't think that the JC means alot either.

I found irish really hard too so i dropped to pass. I know u find it difficult but i wudn't spend all ur time studying it either! to be honest if ur not great all ur looking for is probably a C. give it a bit more time than the rest of ur subjects but not a massive amount, make sure u get the high grades in the subjects ur good at too!

All u needed to do in 5th year was ur hw, so i doubt ur very behind. When u start training in January, u'll just become more focused. Apparently people who do a lot outside school and don't have a lot of spare time just tend to use the time they actually have better, so just be focused when ur studying and u'll get the work done!

I wudn't worry at all, u'll be able to change that C average to a B average with a bif of work!

Advertisement