Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy cofee machine

Options
  • 12-11-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

why i agreed to doing this:mad:
    anyway.fellas rings me in a cofee shop(not opened yet) to ask me to connect his machine to a spur.the
    knobend
    of a sparks never came back to fix it.so,its a 5 core flex,brown,black,grey,blue and earth.he told me that brown and grey were L and ble and black are N.wired it into the spur as the the other was already wired into the machine.put up the MCB,switched on the spur and away the machine went.after a few min i decided to screw the spur back to the box only to notice that the spur was v hot and the cable was quite warm.the fella then calles the sparks who put it in and he said i need to change the 13A fuse to a higher one.i didnt get to speak to him.he just layed on the message to the owner.so i left it earlear saying id call back in the morning.i could tell him that i couldnt be
    arsed
    but he has a few handy bits for me to do and id be glad of the cash.any suggestions on what i could do folks.
    Ta

Edit by mod, I removed a few bits here. I just inserted a spoiler, I'm sure we can all still see why this was changed and have learned from this great experience and will not copy or reporduce such lovely words again. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i think first you should check the loading of the coffee machine
    you may have to upgrade the supply cable also
    any make for coffee machine so we can check it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

it.so,its a 5 core flex,brown,black,grey,blue and earth.
    Look closely at the nameplate. I would suspect that this is a 3 phase coffee machine, which is not unusual for a commercial type! I have seen these as high as 20kW

Brown = L1
    Black = L2
    Grey = L3
    Blue = N
    Green/Yellow = E

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Here is a 3 phase coffee machine:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/catering/1618193

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

meercat wrote: »
    i think first you should check the loading of the coffee machine
    you may have to upgrade the supply cable also
    any make for coffee machine so we can check it

forget the name of it now,typical.might just ring the manufactures tomorrow

2011 wrote: »
    Here is a 3 phase coffee machine:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/catering/1618193

it is something similar to that one

• Advertisement

might just ring the manufactures tomorrow
    Well it might be an idea to ask them if it is 3 phase or not and what size the load is!
    it is something similar to that one
    That one is 3 phase!!

http://gaggia.ie/machine/gaggia-gd/

this one but an older version.

the fella then calles the sparks who put it in and he said i need to change the 13A fuse to a higher one
    You do know that a spur will not take more than a 13A fuse?? Also this is a very unsafe situation. It should be isolated immediately.

My advice is to get the electrician back to sort this out ASAP or you could be in serious trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree
    if you are unsure ,leave it alone and get sparks back

Well this one is the same make as your one and it is available in 3 phase:

http://www.gaggia-espresso.co.uk/Gaggia_Espresso_Machine_Deco.html

The fact that yours has a 5 core flex with the 3 phase colors suggests to me that it is 3 phase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

meercat wrote: »
    agree
    if you are unsure ,leave it alone and get sparks back

Just not the original sparks. He sounds like a clown

Just not the original sparks. He sounds like a clown
    He does.

The problem is that he might have certified the installation, so this could get messy!

He does.

The problem is that he might have certified the installation, so this could get messy!

But jesus even a apprentice would have more cop on than this. Most machines, appliances are pretty straight forward in my eyes regards if they are 1ph or 3ph. Usually pretty well labelled too for clarity

But jesus even a apprentice would have more cop on than this. Most machines, appliances are pretty straight forward in my eyes regards if they are 1ph or 3ph. Usually pretty well labelled too for clarity

From my experience in the electrical industry (I wont say how long that is as it makes me feel old :D) I have seen apprentices that I would rate more highly than qualified some of the qualified electricians out there.

One of the downsides of the boom is that the quality of some electricians dropped massively.

To be fair to the electrician he might have installed a spur for a small domestic type coffee machine and then a far larger 3 phase unit could have arrived long after he has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

So we have a 5 core flex coming out of a 13amp spur? Doesn't sound like a 3-phase spur to me. And what sort of MCB is backing it?

So we have a 5 core flex coming out of a 13amp spur?
    That is not the way I read it.

To me there is a 5 core flex on a coffee machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

From my experience in the electrical industry (I wont say how long that is as it makes me feel old :D) I have seen apprentices that I would rate more highly than qualified some of the qualified electricians out there.

One of the downsides of the boom is that the quality of some electricians dropped massively.

To be fair to the electrician he might have installed a spur for a small domestic type coffee machine and then a far larger 3 phase unit could have arrived long after he has gone.

What are ye talkin about, wrong wrong wrong:)

Only jokin of course, spot on there, the boom meant anyone that could put up brackets was a sparks because of the demand for them.

Almost certain to be a 3 phase machine alright. And if a sparks was asked to provide a supply for a coffee machine i think most would assume a spur would do. The 3 phase ones just have 3 elements connected in star in them i think, so the machines are a high KW rating.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    And if a sparks was asked to provide a supply for a coffee machine i think most would assume a spur would do. The 3 phase ones just have 3 elements connected in star in them i think, so are a high KW rating.

Ok you might say in that case fair enough, but it sounds like the machine was their. He left notes of phasing groupings, and for a higher fuse to be used instead, so = clown

Davy wrote: »
    Ok you might say in that case fair enough, but it sounds like the machine was their. He left notes of phasing groupings, and for a higher fuse to be used instead, so = clown

Yea lookin back over it your probably right.

Agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

It may be a 3 phase machine but generally the motor is single phase in my experience so the 3 phase aspect of it is limited to the element,
    So as long as the element is wired properly and the cable is capable of carrying the current, there's no problem. Change the spur to to an isolator suitably rated. I think it would be possible to reduce the draw from the machine by connecting the element(s) differently at the expense of increasing the heat up time if the cable isn't rated highly enough

SparKing wrote: »
    It may be a 3 phase machine but generally the motor is single phase in my experience so the 3 phase aspect of it is limited to the element,
    So as long as the element is wired properly and the cable is capable of carrying the current, there's no problem. Change the spur to to an isolator suitably rated. I think it would be possible to reduce the draw from the machine by connecting the element(s) differently at the expense of increasing the heat up time if the cable isn't rated highly enough

Yes they likely can operate on single phase, but it will probalby need a supply like a shower would need, the supply cable would be able for the load on the 3 phase cores by connecting them together, but now the neutral core will be carrying what ever current the 3 phase cores are carrying when connected to just one phase, where as when the machine is connected to 3 phases the neutral current will be low, or zero from 3 elements going.

The spur circuit itself wont be rated to power this machine, and using just one of the 3 elements would seem pointless as it would make more sense to get a single phase machine than the commercial rated 3 phase one they obviously paid a few euro for. It needs a 3 phase circuit put in for it really. Anything is possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Look closely at the nameplate. I would suspect that this is a 3 phase coffee machine, which is not unusual for a commercial type! I have seen these as high as 20kW

Brown = L1
    Black = L2
    Grey = L3
    Blue = N
    Green/Yellow = E

I Agree......... Sounds like 3 phase.

I would also suggest that the original electrician wasn't given full loading or spec of coffee machine and probably wants extra money to come back and fit/ modify cabling or has issues regarding payment of original works.....and the client if trying to get someone else to fit it.....

Just for refrence:

I have come across commercial appliances that require a large single phase supply.

The manufacturer utilises multiple (Feed ) cables for the appliances that need to connected together into a suitable 1ph connector i.e 2p+E 16 or 32Amp Industrial plugs
    The MCB/RCBO is suitably sized to protect the appliance.

What size is the mains cable feeding the fused spur, is it a single radial outlet and what is the rating of the breaker at the fuse board.

ntpm wrote: »
    I have come across commercial appliances that require a large single phase supply.

The manufacturer utilises multiple (Feed ) cables for the appliances that need to connected together into a suitable 1ph connector i.e 2p+E 16 or 32Amp Industrial plugs

Well as sparking says, its likely they can be connected to a single phase alright, but its design is probably for 3 phase. Its just the elements in these machines that are connected to the 3 phases.
    But if it is in fact a 3 phase machine and its brown black grey for phases, and blue for neutral, then the blue core wont do on its own if the three phase cores are conected into one phase and the blue to neutral.

I know on the commercial steam ovens i used to repair at one time they had 3 sets of elements that could be switched in and out depending on the setting for cooking. But the neutral from the elements star point would never carry more than the load of a single element with the oven connected to 3 phases. But it was a long time ago and the memory banks are failing:)
    The MCB/RCBO is suitably sized to protect the appliance.
    Some would say the MCB is soley to protect the cable rather than the appliance, but i do think it does give some protection to the appliances alright. But this would be a secondary property. Id say the MCB would be suitably sized to supply the appliance load continously.

What size is the mains cable feeding the fused spur, is it a single radial outlet and what is the rating of the breaker at the fuse board.

Its hard to imagine it being bigger than a 2.5 circuit, but maybe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

I agree with all your point.

#Going back to the original post by AFLIB he did state that the black and brown where neutral cables hence I assum that the othe cables are single phase live conductors.

He had it running for a while and it didn't trip the breaker... thats why I think the black is a neutral...IMO.

although it could have meant that some section of the coffee machine was not working and no one realised??????....

I agree with all your point.

#Going back to the original post by AFLIB he did state that the black and brown where neutral cables hence I assum that the othe cables are single phase live conductors.

He had it running for a while and it didn't trip the breaker... thats why I think the black is a neutral...IMO.

although it could have meant that some section of the coffee machine was not working and no one realised??????....

Yea i think it was brown and grey were L and blue and black neutral in first post.

If it was actually a 3 phase machine then 2 elements would have 230v and so would output their full load, and the 3rd would have no volts on it with neutral to both ends. This would still overload the blue core of the flex and so cause the flex to warm up as stated. And the fused spur.

This all assumes it is a 3 phase machine, and also there is a neutral to the centre point of the elements so that the 3 element groups can be switched in and out seperately, because if they all only come on and off together then no neutral would be needed to the star point of them, in which case a single phase would of been connected to the ends of 2 elements and a neutral (black) to the end of the third one so they would of still heated but in series with each other. But that would`t overload the flex then. Again assuming its the manufacturers flex in the machine.

But the whole thread suggests it is a 3 phase machine alright. The operating controls will likely all work on single phase anyway, 3 phase is for the high KW element group. Them commercial level machines cost thousands of euros.

Probably yes, likely a reduced heating output. But ye never know what the setup is for sure, all we can all do is suggest. It would be interesting to know the outcome.

Your right that 2 cores could be L and 2 N, although if the brown black grey blue earth was the original manufacturers flex you would have to be considering 3 phase on a commercial coffee machine. Ye just never know for sure what we might see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

-3P appliance almost definitely

-they might do a similar SP model with 3-core lead
    have to be careful when connecting expensive equipment:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ecenur

You do know that a spur will not take more than a 13A fuse?? Also this is a very unsafe situation. It should be isolated immediately.

My advice is to get the electrician back to sort this out ASAP or you could be in serious trouble!

For services like these, where you contact an electrician to come in and fix up your problems when they have already came in the first time do they charge the same amount of money? I have never dealt with any other electrician before, my electrician was a close family friend who would come in and handle all of the problems, he is now moving and I am in need of a new electrician.

• Advertisement

ecenur wrote: »
    For services like these, where you contact an electrician to come in and fix up your problems when they have already came in the first time do they charge the same amount of money? I have never dealt with any other electrician before, my electrician was a close family friend who would come in and handle all of the problems, he is now moving and I am in need of a new electrician.

No they should`t anyway if the problem was down to their initial install etc. Different if the customer wants an extra or modification to what was initially required.

Where do you live.

Advertisement