Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy cofee machine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

sorry for late update.went back on sat morning to the fella.the min i walked in the door he was on the phone to the orginal sparks passing on to me what to do.this sparks should be dragged behind the luas in the nip.he refused to talk directly to me,only to pass on messeges to me.his 1st suggestion was to change the 13A fuse in the spur to a 33A fuse.i said that wasnt posssible.so on these ideas went on for a few min which i refused to do.2 other ideas he had were to twist the black,brown and grey conductor together and use them as L and his other was,yes,this is incredible.connect the L in the board in with the main 63A fuse.thats when i grabbed my bag and out the door.i had to sit in the car and reflect on what had happened.i tought i was getting the piss taken out of me for a hidden camera or something.unbelivable.i know this fellas name and i would to name and shame him but i wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I can now see exactly why you said this in your very first post
    aflib
    why i agreed to doing thismad.gif

Them suggestions are beyond the realms of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Good for you....
    it's fine for us to spectulate how to wire things here.... but doing it in the real world could be dangerous ...

ntpm wrote: »
    Good for you....
    it's fine for us to spectulate how to wire things here.... but doing it in the real world could be dangerous ...

Who`s this for:rolleyes:

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Davy
    Ok you might say in that case fair enough, but it sounds like the machine was their. He left notes of phasing groupings, and for a higher fuse to be used instead, so = clown
    Yea lookin back over it your probably right.

Correction, certainly right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Was it explained to the shop owner about this? God forbid he follows the instructions from the plank and sets the place on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

all i can do is laugh!how are people like this still workin just does not seem fair to us unemployed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

competition is part of the reason anyhow

guys are cutting corners and getting the work

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

Was it explained to the shop owner about this? God forbid he follows the instructions from the plank and sets the place on fire.

i told him not to go near it.i even toook the 13A fuse out just incase and threw it in me bag.but its his own choice now.its his shop.

all i can do is laugh!how are people like this still workin just does not seem fair to us unemployed!

It seems that if you price the job properly ie. to current regs and good working practice and at a realistic rate ( to pay overheads, insurances, etc and taxes and to come out with a little profit:)) YOU WON'T WIN THE JOB >>>:mad:.

The recession ( or is it now a depression?:rolleyes:) is driving down rates and there are many unemployed tradesmen willing to sign on and then undercut the "legitimatly operating" tradesmen. Can't understand the "Black Ecomony" will reduce the chances of company's to re-employ electricians.:confused:

• Advertisement

i'm a full-time spark -reci registered ,vat +tax

like you say-if you're 'pricing' work to a good standard +regs

you'll be undercut most of the time

not too many vans+signs on the road these day sso i assume a lot of my competition is coming from the black market+dole

c'est la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

aflib wrote: »
    i told him not to go near it.i even toook the 13A fuse out just incase and threw it in me bag.but its his own choice now.its his shop.

Thats fair enough. At least if he interferes with it now, he's going against competent advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It seems that if you price the job properly ie. to current regs and good working practice and at a realistic rate ( to pay overheads, insurances, etc and taxes and to come out with a little profit) YOU WON'T WIN THE JOB >>>.
    Exactly.

This is why an independent body should be certifying all electrical work. Then everyone is forced to be compliant and the cowboys are removed from the equation.

yes -i'm sure there'd be a general consensus on independent inspection for all new work etc.

very difficult to enforce for all work-although they're trying hard in the UK anyway

M cebee wrote: »
    yes -i'm sure there'd be a general consensus on independent inspection for all new work etc.

very difficult to enforce for all work-although they're trying hard in the UK anyway

The way they are trying to POLICE tradesmen is by utilising Building Control ( Local planning depts), regular re-training and spot checks.
    Trading standards have fairly strong powers to fine bad contractors.

Atleast they are trying!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I never said it would be easy!
    They could start by phasing it in with new connections. Next they could apply it to rewires. Eventually they could stop selling certs to contractors. It can be done! The alternative is that this crazy situation goes on and customers and quality contractors loose out.

Advertisement