Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Dublin 15

Options
  • 12-11-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any idea of when Aldi plan to open a shop in Dublin 15.

I know they applied for planning permission to open in Clonsilla Village, but that was knocked on the head, as they wanted it as part of an unsuitable high density residential development.

Lidl on the other hand has Dublin 15 shops in the Centre, Blakestown, Ongar and Clonee.

Given the massive size of the population and catchment area of Dublin 15 I am really surprised that they have not opened a store here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't think so... unless they pick somewhere out of the way like up near the Cruiserath Road, somewhere that doesn't get congested at the slightest sign of traffic then they've no dice... even trying to turn right out of the Finglas store can be a nightmare sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

beside mill house clonee village
    opposite end village to lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

meercat wrote: »
    beside mill house clonee village
    opposite end village to lidl

Is there an Aldi here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There is a big empty slot where Currys used to be in the Blanch Centre!! Would be ideal!

Carpark in the retail park is TINY! And people use it to go into the normal centre let alone if there was an Aldi there, traffic is already bad on that stretch of the centre, only one without a bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Heard they were also looking to be a tenant in the Blakestown shops complex redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ongarite wrote: »
    Heard they were also looking to be a tenant in the Blakestown shops complex redevelopment.

Where would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Where would that be?

Sorry, meant to say Mountview. Don't know why Blakestown came to mind.

That would be an intresting spot for it, they tend to go up near lidls, there would be parking and it's not that far off the main roads into the shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Aldi in Mountview would be very convenient for me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I heard a rumour that the old Ice nightclub behind the Shanty will be redeveloped as a supermarket and Tesco's name was mentioned.
    But maybe this could be the new Aldi site?

suey71 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the old Ice nightclub behind the Shanty will be redeveloped as a supermarket and Tesco's name was mentioned.
    But maybe this could be the new Aldi site?

Heard that's going to be a Tesco Express, don't think it could be big enough for an Aldi, but then again I've never been to SlIce

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

ongarite wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say Mountview. Don't know why Blakestown came to mind.

when will this happen do you know, :D happy days when this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

D15 needs an aldi and also hope the rumour about the Tesco is true Roselawn is too far away and its a pain with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Be great if we got a big super tesco in D15 like the one in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Murt10 wrote: »
    Lidl on the other hand has Dublin 15 shops in the Centre, Blakestown, Ongar and Clonee

Lidl are also in Tyrellstown afaik, at least one Aldi in the area would be good for competition. The closest one to me is in Lucan I think.

There is an aldi and a lidl pretty much on top of each other just off the finglas exit of the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There is an aldi and a lidl pretty much on top of each other just off the finglas exit of the m50.

Yes, but that Aldi is miles away from those of us on the western side of D15. That's great news about Aldi coming to Clonee for those of us on the Meath side of D15 - fingers crossed it gets the planning permission. I'm always reading about their great deals and offers in the supplement they issue each Saturday with the Irish independent and say I must pop down to Finglas to get some of them but then the thought of traipsing all the way over is offputting so never actually do it. Their food, product choice and store layouts are far superior to Lidl IMO.

Well I'd conside traipsing all the way over to lucan to be to far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Murt10 wrote: »

Lidl on the other hand has Dublin 15 shops in the Centre, Blakestown, Ongar and Clonee.

Wouldn't mind a Lidl in Ongar, don't think it exists yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Polar101 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a Lidl in Ongar, don't think it exists yet though.

Yes ive heard legends and stories of this place called ongar but I think its just a myth, I dont think it really exisits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Okay! Okay!

Tyrellstown not Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Aldi, the discount retailer, has bought a 1.5 acre site in Clonee, Co Meath, for around €3m, from Shelman Properties.

The site has received planning permission for a 1,670sqm discount store as well as a 525sqm block with a retail store, GP's surgery, 200sqm of offices, and a 125sqm apartment. It also has permission for a surface car park with 95 spaces.

Aldi will start construction in the near future and hopes to open the store, employing 20 people, early next year.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/aldi-seals-euro3m-deal-for-store-site-in-clonee-2617693.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Noley

Good news for Clonee at last... It might just help the look of the town as it has suffered badly in recent years and needs some regeneration. Just look at the sites that the Millhouse used to occupy along with McDonald's Bar (Benny's) and the bookies opposite which is practically in a state of ruin....

Also agree that the surrounding areas in D15 need a Tesco, Maynooth too far and Roselawn a pain in the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Forget about Roselawn being a pain because of the traffic. The shop itself is just too small and crappy to be much use for anything beyond the basics. The population of the area would easily support a Tesco Extra, although I've no idea where you'd put it due to the space that would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Looks like they have started to Build the Aldi In Clonee, Right next to the abandoned Millhouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Good stuff, that means some people can avoid going into the village fully to get to it.

blondie7 wrote: »
    D15 needs an aldi and also hope the rumour about the Tesco is true Roselawn is too far away and its a pain with traffic.

Tesco Express in Mulhuddart should be open in the next week or two, work is finished on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This weekend apparently.

Advertisement