Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

January wrote: »
    Tesco Express in Mulhuddart should be open in the next week or two, work is finished on it now.

where abouts in Mulhuddart,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

glossy wrote: »
    where abouts in Mulhuddart,

Old Ice night club at the back of the Shanty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Tesco express is going to kill Spar there, and they're spending money doing it up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I noticed the vacant garage/car showroom place beside the fire station has been sold.

My be in an interesting location for an Aldi. Although traffic would be chaotic. But that tends be the last thing considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Is that the old Renault garage? The one with the Topaz garage behind it. Would be a great location I reckon, lots of good road frontage. Don't imagine in the current climate that another car showroom will be opening up there any time soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Traffic considerations was the reason given to refuse permission at the original site Aldi wanted to use on the clonsilla road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ronan45 wrote: »
    Looks like they have started to Build the Aldi In Clonee, Right next to the abandoned Millhouse!

yes I noticed this work seemed to start on monday morning proper, so I think we will have an aldi there for the run up to christmas. Bout time...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Sharrow wrote: »
    Traffic considerations was the reason given to refuse permission at the original site Aldi wanted to use on the clonsilla road.

Well that would have been chaotic all right! Not quite as bad there opposite the petrol station!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Nice to see Clonee will have 2 large supermarkets Aldi and Lidl. They really should as one of the earlier posters mentioned do something with the town. It really looks run down these days IMO. Browns an abandoned shell, McDonalds boarded up with the bars on the windows, the house across the road burnt out. Who actually looks after Clonee village? Meath County Council?

Well Aldi going to clonee with certinally take me away from a lot of shopping options in Blanch. May add to the traffic for clonee but that could only help busniess there. The town does need a boost.

• Advertisement

Just to veer off-topic slightly, I was in the new Tesco Express in Mulhuddart today. Didn't realise it's not a new building but just a shop in the back of the Shanty pub, am I right there? Anyway it's great. they have a good selection of stuff at good prices and you can use your clubcard as well, and it's half way on my drive home from work so reckon I will stop in there quite a bit. ;) Until Aldi opens anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just to veer off-topic slightly, I was in the new Tesco Express in Mulhuddart today. Didn't realise it's not a new building but just a shop in the back of the Shanty pub, am I right there? Anyway it's great. they have a good selection of stuff at good prices and you can use your clubcard as well, and it's half way on my drive home from work so reckon I will stop in there quite a bit. ;) Until Aldi opens anyway!

Yup, the just renovated the old Ice nightclub at the back of the pub, and a very good job they've done too! The only complaint I have is the local kiddies seem to like messing with the self service tills :\ but the novelty should soon wear off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

January wrote: »
    Yup, the just renovated the old Ice nightclub at the back of the pub, and a very good job they've done too! The only complaint I have is the local kiddies seem to like messing with the self service tills :\ but the novelty should soon wear off!

LOL - reminds me of when Dunnes put in an escalator (the first in our town) years ago. All the little gurriers were running backwards and sliding up and down it. As you said, the novelty wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hi,what advantage will i have if in Clonee will be LIDL and ALDI !?
    Are they not having same owner and/or same range of products !??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

They don't have the same ranges of products, they are two different chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Aldi do super 6, which is six different fruit/vegetables that they discount each week.

Aldi seem to stock more different stock.

Lidl will or do have a bakery.

Both can have similar electrical items, so twice the chance of getting what you need.

They will be 5 minutes from each other, handy to price both shops and compare and pick the best deals.

The more non "big name" shops in the area puts pressure on the named shops and hopefully in turn the customers win with cheaper and a better selection.

Yeah, I think the selection and quality of stuff in Aldi is a bit better than Lidl.

Cheers for posting that Ronan, it looks good...

apartments seem a silly thing to be building in this day and age, unless nama want to add to their 32 billion of property loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

rolion wrote: »
    hi,what advantage will i have if in Clonee will be LIDL and ALDI !?
    Are they not having same owner and/or same range of products !??

They are owned by 2 brothers, each owning either an Aldi or a Lidl. I think there was a falling out so they set up rival stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They are owned by 2 brothers, each owning either an Aldi or a Lidl. I think there was a falling out so they set up rival stores.

I believe it was about selling cigarettes at the till

apartments seem a silly thing to be building in this day and age, unless nama want to add to their 32 billion of property loans.

Who going to give a loans to by an apartment these days, apparently on 250 have been sold around Ireland this year

oblivious wrote: »
    Who going to give a loans to by an apartment these days, apparently on 250 have been sold around Ireland this year

Listening to newstalk Oblivious ;) me too. Theres a 2 tier market everyone wants a house. Apartments are a dirty word now.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Aldi is part of Albrecht Discount group. They own Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. Aldi Sud operates in Ireland. The Schwarz family own Lidl they're two completely different groups.

ronan45 wrote: »
    Listening to newstalk Oblivious ;) me too. Theres a 2 tier market everyone wants a house. Apartments are a dirty word now.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

When oh when are we getting one, please hope its soon

nearest one to the area will be in Clonee, think it opens end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Aw brilliant - fed up driving over to Finglas. Thanks

• Advertisement

canihave wrote: »
    Aw brilliant - fed up driving over to Finglas. Thanks
    :D same feeling lol ..

Advertisement